Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THe controversy of Patrick O Brian, or Richard Patrick Russ as he once was....

Options
  • 07-05-2009 3:10pm

OK, in the past few months I've become a bit of an Aubrey-Maturin fanboy (living in Dublin, it's easier to "squee" at Georgian architecture then it would be for, say, a Californian), and with the Volvo Ocean Race coming around I remembered something in the back of one of his books talking about his youth spent in Connemara and the Burren, where he presumably learned to sail in the very waters these modern sailing vessels will now race towards. I had a wonderful idea that some of those sailors would be familiar with the books and that there might be some event to mark the incident.

But then I came across the stories about his last years, and the controversy, and his real stories only being told now. Does anyone here remember what happened first time around (late 90s, his death in Dublin in 2000)? Was he booted out of Trinity College after he was found out? Was he insufferable? What happened exactly? Has the character of Stephen Maturin been sullied by the skeletons of Mr. POB's closet?

Advertisement