Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a photography insurance

• 07-05-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I have to get an insurance for my wedding photography business.
    I got a quote but I don't really know what I need.
    The quote gives me 6.5 millions for public liability, do I really need that much? some insurances offer 1.3 millions.
    The quotes I got doesn't cover professional liability, am I right saying that I need that to cover for errors and omissions?

Is there somebody that could tell me what I need to cover and what's just a waste of money?

Thanks

Angelo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, you will certainly need gear insurance and public liability. You may be able to get away with 2.6 million cover there, rather than 6.5 million.

You really should get PI, especially for wedding photography.

You should shop around though, for quotes/prices.

I use Steve, at Photo-Shield. Brilliant price and great service. A pleasure to deal with. I did shop around, and found that they offer the best rate (that I found at the time) for gear insurance, public liability insurance, and professional indemnity, all of which you'll need for weddings.

If you contact them, feel free to mention my name as a reference. :D

Phone: 0044 1775 716690
    Email: photo-shield@winsoverhowden.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angelo Mercone

Thanks Paul, I will check that out

Angelo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use Dolmen Insurance, handy enough to find on Google. I dealt with Gerry Doody there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I use Photo Shield too.
    Very good product in that you can tailor it to suit your needs and if you pay by monthly direct debit instalments, you can adjust your poilcy whenever you add new gear.

The 45 days of cover for travel abroad was the real winner for me.

I also dealt with Steve and found him very helpful.

P.

Thanks borderfox.

I understand that I should cover my laptop but do I really need to cover the pc at home as well? last year it was hit by a lightning and the house insurance paid for!

• Advertisement

In theory, if you use your home computer for work (wedding photography processing), then it's a business item, and your household insurance may not cover it. It costs very little to add it to good professional camera insurance.

Better discussing such details though with an insurance broker.

House insurance may not cover something which is used for a business purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Pardon my ignorance - I'm just curious what do photographers need all of this insurance for - is it mainly due to people falling over equipment? Or equipment falling on people?

(the gear part of it is obvious)

Public Liability in case someone trips over your gear, or your gear hits someone, etc.

Professional Indemnity - in case you make a mess of the job and the customer wants to sue you.

I've seen sporting events in the UK, where you would not be allowed to cover unless you had at least over £1m of PL insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

The quote gives me 6.5 millions for public liability, do I really need that much? some insurances offer 1.3 millions.

This is probably because €6.5 is what the OPW expects (for heritage properties and parks etc.). It's also what the IPPA requires it's members to have.

I also use Steve at Photo Shield - and you can mention my name too !!!!!!!!!!

I visited a location where the groom wanted pictures taken after the ceremony and the manager of the castle wanted me to have an insurance. This is another reason why you need an insurance....
    Thanks for all the answers guys, very helpful

angelo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Cameraman wrote: »
    This is probably because €6.5 is what the OPW expects (for heritage properties and parks etc.). It's also what the IPPA requires it's members to have.

I also use Steve at Photo Shield - and you can mention my name too !!!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming you get a discount of some sort if you get your name mentioned:confused:

And what good is him mentioning "Cameraman":P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'm assuming you get a discount of some sort if you get your name mentioned:confused:

I have no idea - I just want a share of whatever Paul is getting ;)
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    And what good is him mentioning "Cameraman":P

I knew Angelo would be capable of extracting my name from my profile, if he wanted :p

Cameraman wrote: »
    I have no idea - I just want a share of whatever Paul is getting ;)

LOL. I'm working on commission. Nah, it's just nice to know where people source your services. Any time I recommend someone or a service, I like them to know that it was me who made the recommendation. :D

Never hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have converted to photoshield also and Steve is your man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Sorry lads for digging this ageing thread.

Just wondering if you getting your equipment insured, what would you price the insured amount i.e. the purchase cost or replacement cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'm begining to think an insurance type thread should be added to the FAQ thread.

@mart_max I would think it would be the original purchase cost but I'm open to correction on that one.

mart_max wrote: »
    Just wondering if you getting your equipment insured, what would you price the insured amount i.e. the purchase cost or replacement cost?

Replacement cost.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I visited a location where the groom wanted pictures taken after the ceremony and the manager of the castle wanted me to have an insurance. This is another reason why you need an insurance....
    Thanks for all the answers guys, very helpful

angelo

This is common enough it seems, I know Kilkenny Castle requires photographers to have insurance if they want to take wedding shots in the grounds of the castle

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Does Photography insurance cover a camera if it dies? I think mine needs a shutter replacement. Would I be better off claiming off the insurance for a new one?

Ballyman wrote: »
    Does Photography insurance cover a camera if it dies? I think mine needs a shutter replacement. Would I be better off claiming off the insurance for a new one?

That will depend totally on your policy. No harm giving a call to your insurance company/broker and asking.

Alternatively, the camera could always get knocked by someone and end up falling and breaking. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Paulw wrote: »
    Alternatively, the camera could always get knocked by someone and end up falling and breaking. :rolleyes:

Yea, that would be unfortunate should it happen by accident. I think I'll store my camera on top of this wonky 20 foot pole I have. Should be safe from falling up there :)

here's a question I just thought of, do you include your fliters, extra batteries, shutter release etc. as part of your equipment just did a quick toting up of my equipment and wow I think I'll be insuring it soon.

Don't forget about your excess. A filter wouldn't be worth your while to cover, due to excess, but if you lost your camera bag with all filters/camera, etc, then it would be worth your while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Quick Q:
    I'll be taking live photos for an online site in the next few months, I wont be getting paid for it, but will keep ownership of pictures and will be granted access to some cool gigs as a result.

Will I need insurance?

And roughly for a camera and two lenses (both worth under e750 together), what would I be paying monthly?

On another note (mods split this into a topic if its too far OT), can I take out insurance on the camera and lenses that I have?

Me being an unemployed graduate student..

On another note (mods split this into a topic if its too far OT), can I take out insurance on the camera and lenses that I have?

Me being an unemployed graduate student..

From what I've been looking at on line you can either be pro or amateur... you can also get it covered under your home insurance as long as your not making a living from it.

@ mehfesto probably better safe than sorry.

trishw78 wrote: »
    From what I've been looking at on line you can either be pro or amateur... you can also get it covered under your home insurance as long as your not making a living from it.

@ mehfesto probably better safe than sorry.

The camera is always away from the house where I am technically resident.
    Cool, might give those people a call and get an ROI quote, although I think I will be in NI a lot next year as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Don't forget about your excess. A filter wouldn't be worth your while to cover, due to excess, but if you lost your camera bag with all filters/camera, etc, then it would be worth your while.

Actually Paul I think the excess applies on a per claim not per item basis... Insurer dependent.

I'll third Steve at Photoshield. I might be claiming for equipment from them shortly if the repair cost outweighs the excess of 250...

mrboswell wrote: »
    Actually Paul I think the excess applies on a per claim not per item basis... Insurer dependent.

I'll third Steve at Photoshield. I might be claiming for equipment from them shortly if the repair cost outweighs the excess of 250...

Totally right there. The excess is on the claim. So, the loss of just a filter you wouldn't be able to claim.

Totally right there. The excess is on the claim. So, the loss of just a filter you wouldn't be able to claim.

Depends how much the filter cost - What if you got something custom made for your 300 2.8?!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

(Amateur)
    Rang 123.ie a while back they said they did not cover camera equipment on its own, but that you can cover it under a house insurance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Got a quote yesterday from Aaduki for €200++ for equipment worldwide cover. All quoted and insured in Euros, for amateurs photography. No liability covered.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Photo Shield, hopefully will get it today. At the same time, I must look around for home contents insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

*bump*!

Looking into creating a business plan for something, and have been trying to cost Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance, tried two places, including photo-shield, and neither have gotten back to me with a quote, or even an acknowledgement after 4 days.

Professionals - can you share who you are currently with, and could somebody please PM me an idea of the costs, if you don't want to say it in public?

I am looking at 'event' photography, should I be concerned with more than PL and PI?

• Advertisement

Talk to camerainsurance.ie (another boards member works there). So far, they seem to have great prices and service.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70022434&postcount=11

*bump*!

Looking into creating a business plan for something, and have been trying to cost Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance, tried two places, including photo-shield, and neither have gotten back to me with a quote, or even an acknowledgement after 4 days.

Professionals - can you share who you are currently with, and could somebody please PM me an idea of the costs, if you don't want to say it in public?

I am looking at 'event' photography, should I be concerned with more than PL and PI?

I'm with camerainsurance.ie after Paul's referral. They were the best value around and Derek was great to deal with.
    For me I did have a preference for cover in Ireland so it suited me perfectly.

I think PL and PI should cover all your bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

mrboswell wrote: »
    I'm with camerainsurance.ie after Paul's referral. They were the best value around and Derek was great to deal with.
    For me I did have a preference for cover in Ireland so it suited me perfectly.

I think PL and PI should cover all your bases.

Me too. Just renewed my insurance with Derek on Wed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

*bump*!

PopeBuckfast - public liability should be your first concern apart from your equipment that is. In relation to the PI cover give me a call if you want to run through the covers. You may or may not require it. Works out about €113 extra to include if for the year as a bolt on to your policy.

Derek - www.camerainsurance.ie
    01 8408060

Advertisement