Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Creative Process

• 07-05-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what everyones approach to photography is, on an individual level. For example when taking a photo of anything in particular, are you simply pointing and shooting once the scene is composed and accepting the image as is, or in your head , after looking at the scene are you thinking "That one's a keeper once I Dodge/Burn, do highlights, cut that bit away, resize, levels/curves etc".
    Or is it a case of trawling through shots taken looking for one or two that may be better presented once you tinker around with the post processing, I guess what I'm asking is do you see a scene for what it is currently , or what it will be once fully processed, before you depress that shutter button?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, I'd have to say, it's completely dependant on the situation - I've two projects coming to an end now - both completely different in how I approached them, the first is structured, involving a lot of planning, research into composition, the exposure I'm going to need, locations, times, light, so on and so forth - In fact, it was before Easter I started on it, and I think I've only about 20 photographs research work put into it, nevermind an end to it (Which I should have by the end of this weekend).

The other project involved more locations, less thinking about the final images, and more about how I felt a situation or location felt within the theme, so it could be considered a lot more 'snap happy'.

I'll generally have an idea of styles for when the images are taken, so I'll have a very general idea of what needs to be done in post processing, but how to get there isn't always as simple, I just do what I feel is right for the image!

When I'm approaching fashion shoots, I collaborate a lot with the stylist/designer before hand, showing various approaches to looks, different styles of taking the photographs and processing them, before moving on to find a location that matches the shoot exactly the way I want it to.

For my own 'hobby' though, I'll just go out and snap what I think will be a good photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

majiktripp wrote: »
    I was just wondering what everyones approach to photography is, on an individual level. For example when taking a photo of anything in particular, are you simply pointing and shooting once the scene is composed and accepting the image as is, or in your head , after looking at the scene are you thinking "That one's a keeper once I Dodge/Burn, do highlights, cut that bit away, resize, levels/curves etc".
    Or is it a case of trawling through shots taken looking for one or two that may be better presented once you tinker around with the post processing, I guess what I'm asking is do you see a scene for what it is currently , or what it will be once fully processed, before you depress that shutter button?

I have become very aware of how light falls on scenes and subjects. This influences how I take photos mostly.

After over fifty years spent gardening, photography seems a natural progression, as growing plants is directly related to light in all its aspects. I have tried crops in winter with artificial heat and light and somehow all this has come together to make me spend quite some time looking at where light sources are, how the changes in the seasons affect shadows and the quality of sun's rays, how photographing flowers from beneath, using them as a filter between my lens and the sun leads to some very unusual effects.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77969956@N00/2478205560

I tend to love photos of flowers in Black and White.

I am always very aware that a camera is not a natural part of my everyday vision system. The changes in perspective that looking through a lens causes, along with the distortions and exaggerations, is probably what interests me most. It links nicely to years spent studying trigonometry with pleasure. Composition is fun... and as so many photos uploaded by other posters here, it seems to engage us all a lot.

There are some photos here that express what I have just explained.

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/moderntwist2,
    An interesting question and one I'll spend more time exploring. Thank you.

Advertisement