Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardianship

Options
  • 07-05-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First off as a noob to boards ill apologise if this thread has been done to death already.

Unfortunately circumstance have come about whereas I have to go about seeking guardianship through the courts.

Have any fathers on boards had to do this and talk me through how they got on?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Are you able to get consensual dual guardianship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Unless you're a convict-junky, you will most likely be awarded guardianship. This has been the trend in recent years, from what I'm told, partially as an attempt to redress the obvious imbalance in family law and also because it is widely expected that automatic guardianship for unmarried fathers will enter law within the next few years anyway.

Just don't kid yourself that it gives you equal parental rights, as it's scope is very limited and many of the rights that it affords in theory are either ignored or unenforced in practice.

As for more specific info, this link may help. Good luck.

Advertisement