Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me to get into College

Options
  • 07-05-2009 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi Lads, I am totally confused and looking for some help here please.

I was made redundant end of last year. I was called into social office yesterday to prove i was looking for work. no probs there, showed them all the emails i had sent off etc.

The social welfare officer said to me i am entitled to receive back to education allowance and go back to college and she gave me an app for may 28th to talk to relevant person in their office.

I said this to a friend last night delighted thinking that come Sept I could be going back to college and he said i have totally missed the boat-that CAO applications are closed for 2009. I have checked this and yes i have missed late entry :( so i wonder why she bothered giving me an app for the 28th if its too late for this year?

I am in Galway area and i have checked out nui and gmit websites and cannot find any info. have rang and left messages for mature student officers so waiting on a reply now.

In the budget did that clown not make 1500 more places available for people who were made redundant? does anybody know how this whole thing works. Any chance of getting in anywhere or is that it for 2009?

Thanks in advance :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

Yes the CAO is closed for applications, but would you consider a PLC course?

Here is a link for Galway. They run interviews in August for these courses, and you get the same benefits like BTEA and grants. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

thanks a million for the reply ericka :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

GMIT have a drop in centre at the old reception desk for people interested in going back to education between 15:00 and 17:00 on Tuesday and Thursdays until May 28th.
    http://www.gmit.ie/news-events/drop-in.html

I went down there the other day and they're really friendly and helpful and can't do enough for you. The CAO applications have closed for first round offers, but they always publish 2nd and 3rd chance offers later, so you could still get into a course like that. GMIT are more flexible about these things, so it's well worth your while going down there.

Alternately, they offer a Foundation course for a year which helps you get ready for going back to studying and qualifies for the Back to Education Allowance. Closing date for that hasn't passed yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 5673

sorry don't know much about those colleges

if u don't mind me asking what are you wanting to study

Advertisement