Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Free Insurance isn't free insurance....

• 07-05-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

My insurance provider offered me free house insurance in November 08 as I was already a car & health insurance policy holder. My car insuranc was coming up for renewal in Feb, so I shopped around and got a great deal. I asked my provider could they match it - they said no, and so I moved. A month later (March 09) I got a letter tell me that I needed to e98 if I wanted to continue with the household insurance, as the free offer was only based on being a current holder of both car and health. Fair enough. I ignored the letter, as I'm unemployed and could do without the household insurance which was only a perk anyway to me. I received a phone call late April asking me if I wanted to keep on the household insurance - I said no. Today I get a letter telling me I need to forward e44 for the periord Feb - late April - in their eyes the pro rated period of household insurance which I ASSUMED would have been cancelled as soon as I transferred my car insurance.

I rang Customer Service today, and told them that beacuse there was no indication of a reply being needed to their first letter (the one going "pls forward 98 quid to keep this on") nor was there any indication of possible penalties, that I was not happy and would not be paying the "outstanding" amount.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this Cavan based company?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

The details are very clearly stated in their T&C's for the free (or discounted by €200 if quote is above) home insurance offer. - I have it and I remember it being very clearly laid out that if I cancel either health or car insurance the €200 home insurance would be clawed back pro rata to the time I had the health & car insurance with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Tiger Fan wrote: »
    My insurance provider offered me free house insurance in November 08 as I was already a car & health insurance policy holder. My car insuranc was coming up for renewal in Feb, so I shopped around and got a great deal. I asked my provider could they match it - they said no, and so I moved. A month later (March 09) I got a letter tell me that I needed to e98 if I wanted to continue with the household insurance, as the free offer was only based on being a current holder of both car and health. Fair enough. I ignored the letter, as I'm unemployed and could do without the household insurance which was only a perk anyway to me. I received a phone call late April asking me if I wanted to keep on the household insurance - I said no. Today I get a letter telling me I need to forward e44 for the periord Feb - late April - in their eyes the pro rated period of household insurance which I ASSUMED would have been cancelled as soon as I transferred my car insurance.

I rang Customer Service today, and told them that beacuse there was no indication of a reply being needed to their first letter (the one going "pls forward 98 quid to keep this on") nor was there any indication of possible penalties, that I was not happy and would not be paying the "outstanding" amount.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this Cavan based company?!

sorry, but you assumed something that wasn't true and stated in their T&C ... never assume anythingm it makes an ass out of u and me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tiger Fan

Thanks for replies folks.

Let me add though, what % of ppl (a) keep and know where to find and (b) read T&Cs? I will also add that the letter they sent me requesting payment for the free insurance to be paid for the rest of the year did not clarify what my options were if I did not want to keep it on. Whilst agreeing that I should in hindsight have been more assertive and responded to canel the free insurance, I feel that I have been duped into having to pay for something I did not request in the first place, regardless of what poxy booklets they have sent me.

I did not at any time use the insurance, i.e. I did not make any claims on the policy.

When I rang to cancel my car insurance, why was this not flagged to me? I can only suggest that its because of the way they are set up with each department looking after its own corner & a lack of investment in a proper IT system.

It is still my intention not to pay the e44, and I told the Customer Service Agent to put that on my file. My health insurance expires at the end of the year, and I also added that I will not be renewing this. Why spends 1000s on advertising to get customers if you are going inflexible and not understanding to those that have already given you business?

A friend has suggested I contact The Insurance Ombudsman which I'm just reading up on.

God I hate wasting my time on stuff like this, but do appreciate this forum as an outlet to hear what experiences/thoughts others may have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I'd normally do a very quick read on the t&c's. In this instance I thought what if I got the free insurance and then the next day cancel the health & car insurance - under regulation they must refund me the total of the time remaining in the policies, therfore it would be a good way to get free home insurance.

In fairness to quinn, the detail of what happens and the calculation is VERY CLEARLY set out and is totally fair. Baically once you stop either your car or health insurance, the free portion of your house insurance stops also. e.g. if you stop at the end of 3 months, you'll owe them €150, whereas if you stop after 9 months, you'll owe them €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

its all a con,
    theres nothing free in this world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement