Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deal Breakers

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cheating, lying, physical violence, wanting kids, I don't mind a bloke with kids, but wanting kids is not something I aspire to.

Sustained lying is the biggest for me, in relation to cheating or otherwise. Also fear, as in being afraid of a relationship and equal partnership, if that fear is enough to cripple or stifle a relationship then goodbye imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

A man with kids...a big no. I hate kids.

Cruelty to animals or a general dislike of dogs. There's something wrong with a man who hates dogs.

Don't get this, you think there is something wrong with a person who hates dogs yet you don't think there is anything wrong with you for hating members of your own species??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Cheating and not getting on with my brother are the biggest deal-breakers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Hmmmmm So many tbh

1 - Disrespect be it in the trust department.
    2- Materialistic girls, Something I think more and more younger girls 20-23 are becoming due to society.
    3 - Girls who just are plane ignorant to people and think they are all that so they shouldn't have to tolerate them.
    4 - if my GF was to try and tell me that I shouldnt see my mates for a night out or poker she would be gone
    5 and even more so if she once asked me to cancel going to play a footy match she would get one warning then dumped if it happend again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Actually, smoking is one for me too. Every time I see an attractive girl lighting up it's an instant "No thanks".
    I think it looks really hot...

*runs from anti-smoking mob

Wouldn't like to be with someone who smoked constantly, because the smell off them and the taste when you kiss them isn't nice. Wouldn't be a dealbreaker though, and I'd much prefer a social smoker to a girl who was hardcore anti-smoking.

(wouldn't be a frequent smoker myself, but I would indulge in certain social situations)

Dealbreakers for me would be hardcore anti-drugs/drink/smoking, religion, materialism, idiocy and not being able to appreciate a comfortable silence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

eimear1 wrote: »
    Don't get this, you think there is something wrong with a person who hates dogs yet you don't think there is anything wrong with you for hating members of your own species??

This, thank you.

The amount of rudeness on this post about children is horrible. Would you say, 'oh I hate fat people/black people/gay people/ whatever' so freely? Of course not.
    Children are still bloody people at the end of the day and don't deserve this level of open hostility. Great, many of you don't want any, that is your choice, but there's no absolutely no need to be so ignorant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

eimear1 wrote: »

Members of my own species? So hating ANYbody is wrong is it?
    This, thank you.

The amount of rudeness on this post about children is horrible. Would you say, 'oh I hate fat people/black people/gay people/ whatever' so freely? Of course not.
    Children are still bloody people at the end of the day and don't deserve this level of open hostility. Great, many of you don't want any, that is your choice, but there's no absolutely no need to be so ignorant about it.

I wouldn't say I hate fat people/black people/gay people because they are individuals with different traits.

For me, although undoubtedly children are all unique, they ALL require feeding, minding, schooling, cleaning, tending to while whining or crying in the middle of the night, lots of money, and all other stuff which I would hate to do.

And if my lovah suddenly decided he did want to take on all of the above, THAT for me, would be a deal-breaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Right, they require work and are dependent on adults, but that's hardly their fault and it is unnecessary to be rude about them when a simple, 'I don't want children' is fine. I understand people not wanting children, but do not understand why people feel it perfectly okay to 'bash' them.

Right, they require work and are dependent on adults, but that's hardly their fault and it is unnecessary to be rude about them when a simple, 'I don't want children' is fine.

Unfortunately not true. People won't just accept that you don't want children without an explanation. My explanation is that I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Malari wrote: »
    For me, although undoubtedly children are all unique, they ALL require feeding, minding, schooling, cleaning, tending to while whining or crying in the middle of the night, lots of money, and all other stuff which I would hate to do.

That is an /incredibly/ narrow minded view of what a parent does and no grounds to say that you hate all children (and implies, for example, that you hate my child, though she has done nothing wrong to you). Hate is a very very strong word.

edit: took out what probably looked like a smart arsed question.
    And if my lovah suddenly decided he did want to take on all of the above, THAT for me, would be a deal-breaker.

What if your partner suddenly got very ill? Ill adults require more effort to look after than healthy children. An ill adult ticks all the boxes you have above (feeding, minding, middle of the night, etc.) except schooling. If you think you're gonna go through life without looking after an ill adult at some point....think again. Life is finite and looking after other humans is a part of it.

I'm not trying to convince you that you want children. Not in the slightest. Children aren't for everybody. Maybe just ease off on the "I hate them" bit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Members of my own species? So hating ANYbody is wrong is it?

I wouldn't say I hate fat people/black people/gay people because they are individuals with different traits.

What you're describing there is a hatred of parenting.

I would think you're aware that you can't hate all children, since you don't know all children?

Khannie wrote: »
    That is an /incredibly/ narrow minded view of what a parent does and no grounds to say that you hate all children (and implies, for example, that you hate my child, though she has done nothing wrong to you). Hate is a very very strong word.

edit: took out what probably looked like a smart arsed question.

It was certainly not a summary of everything a parent does. It was the negatives, as far as I'm concerned. Which is why I object to being one.
    Khannie wrote: »
    What if your partner suddenly got very ill? Ill adults require more effort to look after than healthy children. An ill adult ticks all the boxes you have above (feeding, minding, middle of the night, etc.) except schooling. If you think you're gonna go through life without looking after an ill adult at some point....think again. Life is finite and looking after other humans is a part of it.

I'm not trying to convince you that you want children. Not in the slightest. Children aren't for everybody. Maybe just ease off on the "I hate them" bit?

If a partner got ill, that's a different thing because I already love them and if something happened I would take care of them. It's quite a different thing wanting someone (a kid) that requires all that minding and creating one on purpose.

What you're describing there is a hatred of parenting.

I would think you're aware that you can't hate all children, since you don't know all children?

It's true I can't, but I have yet to meet any children I love.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I don't mind kids in general, there's even a few I like. Kinda like the rest of humanity:). I just don't one of my own basically.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

I'm a selfish unfaithful chain smoker who can't stand dogs but wants loads of kids.

Anyone willing to take me on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

If I found out she had a penis

Definite dealbreaker!!

Advertisement