Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i fit security cameras

Options
  • 07-05-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

A regular customer of mine recently got a few prices off some local alarm companies to fit security cameras. He asked if i was interested in pricing the job so i did and i am after getting the job. I used to fit cameras and alarms up until the new regulations came in so fitting them is not a problem.
    So the real question is being a electrical contractor can i fit cameras or do i need this security clearence cert or does that just apply to alarms.

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

At the moment you can yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

moose112 wrote: »
    So the real question is being a electrical contractor can i fit cameras or do i need this security clearence cert or does that just apply to alarms.

Any help much appreciated

Since you're an electrical contractor already might be a good idea to get the security cert if possible ?
    It would save you turning down alarm jobs you may get on the back of tidy work you have done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If it were just a matter of getting a Cert I'm sure he would :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

koolkid wrote: »
    At the moment you can yes.

Nice one cheers:)

Don't really know much about it heard rumours of having to do some course and apparently it can all add up to over a thousand euros.
    Might actually look into it now

Its not a course. It will be licencing from the PSA. The same as it is for alarms now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

You got to pay
    follows:
    Sectoral
    Fee
    Turnover <€625,000 €1,250
    Turnover <€1,250,000 €2,500
    Turnover <€3,750,000 €5,000
    Turnover <€10,000,000 €9,000
    Turnover >€10,000,000 €19,000

Plus thousand registration for the licence. If doing alarms you gotta do them up to certain standards. The psa will grant you a temporary licence and will inspect your installations and upon satisfactory installations they will grant a licence. Allternatively you can do an alarm installation course fetac accredited and provide the cert. Cost bout 1200 with chevron training. I did ber course with them and theyre an exellent training provider.

If doing alarms you gotta do them up to certain standards. The psa will grant you a temporary licence and will inspect your installations and upon satisfactory installations they will grant a licence. Allternatively you can do an alarm installation course fetac accredited and provide the cert.

The PSA are not involved in inspections, that is up to the relevant certification body. The NSAI etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

The PSA are not involved in inspections, that is up to the relevant certification body. The NSAI etc..

Acoring to themselves from a telephone conversation some months ago they are involved with inspections but maybe they provided me with misleading information.

It would seem so! The PSA are not a certification body.

If it were just a matter of getting a Cert I'm sure he would :rolleyes:

Just for you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Since you're an electrical contractor already it might be a good idea to get the security cert and all the rest that is needed if possible ?

Anyway , the cert etc ( overpriced as usual) is a great idea , even just going on the amount of dodgy stuff i've seen .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Acoring to themselves from a telephone conversation some months ago they are involved with inspections but maybe they provided me with misleading information.

The PSA do not do inspections. Either the person you were talking to hadn't a clue what they were talking about or else you heard them wrong. My guess is you heard them wrong.

bushy... wrote: »
    Just for you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Since you're an electrical contractor already it might be a good idea to get the security cert and all the rest that is needed if possible ?

Anyway , the cert etc ( overpriced as usual) is a great idea , even just going on the amount of dodgy stuff i've seen .

Most confusing post i have read today :confused:

+1

Ok , I have seen a bit of dodgy wiring etc on alarms a good while back.

Examples :

The mains ( 240v ) feed wired using alarm cable ( one complete cable for p + n)
    All the inertia sensors etc wired in parallel

You're ( KoolKid ) clearly on the ball in your post on another thread :
    Altor you seem a little confused with what you are trying to get across here. To clarify....
    All CS250s can report verified alarms by using the contact ID Format.
    The only requirement for verified alarm by monitoring stations is activation of 2 seperate zones.To be clear this is all that is required for Garda response.While a PiR is ideal it is NOT a requirement by any monitoring station or the Guards. A monitoring station will never get involved in any way with what is required in an installation.
    Whoever is giving you this information is misguiding you.
    I hope this clarifys things for you.:)

bushy... wrote: »
    Ok , I have seen a bit of dodgy wiring etc on alarms a good while back.

Examples :

The mains ( 240v ) feed wired using alarm cable ( one complete cable for p + n)
    All the inertia sensors etc wired in parallel

You're ( KoolKid ) clearly on the ball in your post on another thread :

I have seen many dangerous things done by electricians too, says more about that person rather than his profession. Anybody who uses alarm cable to run 240V should be shot whether they're a alarm engineer or a painter and BTW the only time I have ever seen alarm circuits wired parallel was by electricians.

I have seen many dangerous things done by electricians too, says more about that person rather than his profession. .

Forgot to say there was 2 electrical factors within say 600yards of the place , your point is even more relevant to that effort

Advertisement