Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to sharpen my chainsaw

Options
  • 07-05-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

need to sharpen my chainsaw, is there a tool I can use with a cordless drill, or is it manual file job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

k123456 wrote: »
    need to sharpen my chainsaw, is there a tool I can use with a cordless drill, or is it manual file job

tis a very simply job. Will take about 20mins if the teeth and not to bad.

Go to any chainsaw dealer and buy a chainsaw file. They cost a tenner and have a guide on them. You cant go wrong.

My little saw still cuts like new because of the little file.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

could you recomend a chainsaw dealer, or would BQ have it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

you must remember to give each tooth the same amount of file ie 3 passes is generley suciffent, each also get the same amount of pressure, also make sure the tension on the chain is correct, a general rule of thumb is you can place a 50 p coin betwen the chain and the arm, if you have hit earth or a stone you may have to get it sharpened by a dealer or hire shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

As an occassional chainsaw user I have found using the file very unsatisfactory - never really managed to get it cutting cleanly or evenly - though in fairness, I have seen professionals use a file very successfully.

I got a special chainsaw stone for my Dremel and found that it did a great job by comparison so would recommend it for the less experienced - NB, as with a file you need to know the correct diameter for your chain.

You can go a step further with Dremel as they also make a (somewhat expensive) kit with a guide to keep you at exactly the correct angle. I haven't tried this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is your chain 3/8 or .325 or .325 lo-pro?
    There are number of different sizes of file for different chains.

• Advertisement

I've ordered a new chain and the appropiate file, found these link which gives valuable info on chains

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Selecting-Chainsaw-Chain_W0QQugidZ10000000007417824

going to compare new chain old to see if is beyond repair,

Sharpening chains is a thing that you need to do a lot of before you get good.
    What helps is having a person that really knows what they are doing watching and pointing out errors.
    In my experience , Stihl chain is the best, although it is a lot more expensive than Oregon or Carlton.
    What saw is it for?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sharpening chains is a thing that you need to do a lot of before you get good.
    What helps is having a person that really knows what they are doing watching and pointing out errors.
    In my experience , Stihl chain is the best, although it is a lot more expensive than Oregon or Carlton.
    What saw is it for?

Its for a BQ one, came with oregon arm and chain

On the side of the Bar there is usually a data plate that tells you what chain pitch and length fits the Bar.
    More than likely it will be .325 and either .050 or .058 width

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Just a tip for when you sharpen the chain on your saw. Every time you sharpen your chain turn the bar around in order to lengthen the life of the bar and the chain as they both wear even on both sides.

• Advertisement

Cheers Folks for all the replies

Advertisement