Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Why is this a joke? Papa johns are one of Galway Uniteds main sponsors. Surely you do not expect the club to waste money on hiring out a premises just to present our new manager to the fans and media. Of which majority of the fans i'm sure would have eaten in papa Johns / Supermacs at some stage of their life. Would you perfer the G hotel and prawn sandwiches:rolleyes:

If Dunnes Stores was a main sponsor I would think its a joke if they had it down the feckin Frozen food aisle there too. Why not the Days Hotel, I'm sure one of the hotels would of gladly let them host it in one of their conference rooms for the exposure. Mickey Mouse league and I've gone to plenty of Galway United matches over the years...as a club they are regressing. Also yes I would prefer they had in in the G hotel with :rolleyes: Prawn Sandwiches!...that's the kind of thing you'd expect at a professional function.

AJ STYLES wrote: »
    sean connor is a clown. i feel sorry for galway united

I agree..lets wait for the name dropping!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Wompa1 wrote: »
    If Dunnes Stores was a main sponsor I would think its a joke if they had it down the feckin Frozen food aisle there too. Why not the Days Hotel, I'm sure one of the hotels would of gladly let them host it in one of their conference rooms for the exposure. Mickey Mouse league and I've gone to plenty of Galway United matches over the years...as a club they are regressing. Also yes I would prefer they had in in the G hotel with :rolleyes: Prawn Sandwiches!...that's the kind of thing you'd expect at a professional function.

Ok your entitled to your opinion, but Dunnes isn't the sponsor and Papa Johns is hence the reason why they should be entitled to the exposure considering they are helping fund the club. Aslo i worked in the hotel industry for 5-6 years i never known a hotel give a function room free to a client for exposure of the hotel. Don't agree that it's a mickey mouse league, the standard of soccer is quite good in the league but it's the people running the clubs that are making a mockery of the league, so i would say Mickey Mouse directors / Chairmen:). And we are actually an amateur team not Professional so not sure you could expect anything much in regaurds of a professional function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Ok your entitled to your opinion, but Dunnes isn't the sponsor and Papa Johns is hence the reason why they should be entitled to the exposure considering they are helping fund the club. Aslo i worked in the hotel industry for 5-6 years i never known a hotel give a function room free to a client for exposure of the hotel. Don't agree that it's a mickey mouse league, the standard of soccer is quite good in the league but it's the people running the clubs that are making a mockery of the league, so i would say Mickey Mouse directors / Chairmen:). And we are actually an amateur team not Professional so not sure you could expect anything much in regaurds of a professional function.

How is it an amateur team? They get paid.

Sorry I didn't realise it's gone back to Amateur in that case they can do whatever they like. Could they have had it up in the club room? Papa Johns do deserve exposure but usually that would equate to a background behind the podium or desk with Papa Johns all over it. I don't think I've ever seen a press conference in Supermacs before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Sorry I didn't realise it's gone back to Amateur in that case they can do whatever they like. Could they have had it up in the club room? Papa Johns do deserve exposure but usually that would equate to a background behind the podium or desk with Papa Johns all over it. I don't think I've ever seen a press conference in Supermacs before

Club Room? They don't own Terryland so not even sure that would be possible. But i see your point. Personally i don't think the club is been run as best as it could. And whoever is involved in PR, marketing and advertisement isn't doing a good enough job. As for club in regression, unfortunately i have to agree with you. I am a season ticket supporter for years and to see us lose our best players every season for nothing is so frustrating. Not sure how long more the club can keep afloat. If fan base doesn't increase think we may see the end of GUFC:(

1. They're not amateur.

2. There's no one in particular "involved in PR, marketing and advertisement". Nick Leeson is the only employee other than the coaching staff and the players (once we get some). Any marketing and advertising that is done is done by voluteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

If Dunnes Stores was a main sponsor I would think its a joke if they had it down the feckin Frozen food aisle there too.
    Papa Johns/Pat McDonagh are sinking badly needed finances into Galway United and as with sponsors in general, announcements often happen in their place of business. Supermacs sponsorship launches and charity photocalls are often held in the building.
    Why not the Days Hotel, I'm sure one of the hotels would of gladly let them host it in one of their conference rooms for the exposure. Mickey Mouse league and I've gone to plenty of Galway United matches over the years...as a club they are regressing.
    No hotel I have worked for or have reasonable knowledge of would give a function room for free.

The club have appointed the best possible candidate under the circumstances.

The club is not in regression. Quite the opposite in fact. The structures that have been neglected for years are being resurrected and run by the right people for the job.
    Also yes I would prefer they had in in the G hotel with :rolleyes: Prawn Sandwiches!...that's the kind of thing you'd expect at a professional function.
    Throwing money at players and other things needlessly is one of the problems the league is trying to address and is succeeding for the most part. The budget is tight enough as it is without all that nonsense.
    And we are actually an amateur team not Professional so not sure you could expect anything much in regaurds of a professional function.
    Well said.
    Mr Maroon wrote: »
    How is it an amateur team? They get paid.
    They will be paid very little. Semi-pro is the term generally used. Most will get what amounts to expenses.
    Could they have had it up in the club room? Papa Johns do deserve exposure but usually that would equate to a background behind the podium or desk with Papa Johns all over it. I don't think I've ever seen a press conference in Supermacs before
    Roughly 100 people attended the event. The indoor "facilities" in Terryland would not be suitable for that figure.
    As for club in regression, unfortunately i have to agree with you.
    You will see a lot of change for the better in the coming season(s).

The setup which once allowed United to challenge for honours is being resurrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The club has reverted from full time professional to part time professional just like Cork City, Derry City, St Patrick's Athletic and Shamrock Rovers. It's a sign of the times I guess. Most players will be getting around 300 Euro per week. Four years ago, that would have been 800.

Previously, the club was sponsored by the Radisson Hotel and all press conferences were held there. Shamrock Rovers are sponsored by Woodies DIY so guess where they once held a press conference?

Two years ago, Drogheda United couldn't get a sponsor so I'm sure they'd love to have a local business like Papa Johns to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Apparently on Galway Bay, Connors and Leason mentioned a return to Saturday night football.

IMO, that would be a step in the right direction for getting the attendance up. I know myself that Friday night's don't suit because I'm only in the door from college an hour before most of these matches start. I could see myself going to more matches on a Saturday...

What do ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Didn't they switch to Friday because they couldn't get a crowd on a Saturday.I have to say I like the Friday nights because I don't have to organise all of Saturday around going to the game. Having said that, If it'll get more bums on seats and in doing so give the club a better chance of surviving, I'll go along with it.

mars bar wrote: »
    Apparently on Galway Bay, Connors and Leason mentioned a return to Saturday night football.

IMO, that would be a step in the right direction for getting the attendances up...

...What do ye think?
    I don't think it's a good idea. Whenever we have experimented with it, it hasn't benefited at all.

Personally, I like Friday night, but I wouldn't be terribly put out by a move to Saturday, although I think it would be a bad move.
    Having said that, If it'll get more bums on seats and in doing so give the club a better chance of surviving, I'll go along with it.
    United and Connacht both play on Fridays because it has always attracted better numbers.

There is very little clash in fixtures as there is only a short overlap between both seasons.

I prefer Fridays.

My missus would kill me if I started fecking off every second Sat night.

Saturdays could suit part time players (wouldn't have to take time off work on Friday) and away fans much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Harrmack were sponsors when Jeff Kenna was unveiled as United manager. That press conference took place in the Twelve in Barna, which has links to Harrmack. A wonderful establishment . . but miles outside of the city, and therefore few fans/gawkers attended. I stuck my nose in the door of Supermacs on Monday, was a big crowd there, generated a bit of a buzz.
    Connor is adamant that better linkis be forged with the community, including putting back the underage structure similar to what was there in Don O'Riordan's time.
    I am from Galway, am a football fan, and so will support my local team. Yes I'll moan, whinge, complain and all the rest when they are playing poorly or getting bad results. But I'll keep going to Terryland.
    If there is to be an improvement to the levels expected of Wompa, may I respectfully suggest than rather airing grievances on tinternet, go the matches instead and bring a few friends - the more that turn up, the more money there is, the better quality player can be brought in/retained, the higher the club will be in the table. Simple economics really.

Tedole wrote: »
    Harrmack were sponsors when Jeff Kenna was unveiled as United manager. That press conference took place in the Twelve in Barna, which has links to Harrmack. A wonderful establishment . . but miles outside of the city, and therefore few fans/gawkers attended. I stuck my nose in the door of Supermacs on Monday, was a big crowd there, generated a bit of a buzz.
    Connor is adamant that better linkis be forged with the community, including putting back the underage structure similar to what was there in Don O'Riordan's time.
    I am from Galway, am a football fan, and so will support my local team. Yes I'll moan, whinge, complain and all the rest when they are playing poorly or getting bad results. But I'll keep going to Terryland.
    If there is to be an improvement to the levels expected of Wompa, may I respectfully suggest than rather airing grievances on tinternet, go the matches instead and bring a few friends - the more that turn up, the more money there is, the better quality player can be brought in/retained, the higher the club will be in the table. Simple economics really.

Funny enough, I rarely missed a home game when Don O'Riordan was manager. He brought alot of dignity to the club which was lost the day he was let go by the board that took over. I hope he's excelling in whatever he's doing now. Seemed like a nice guy.

It wasn't really a grievance, I don't really care about United anymore. If they play on Saturday nights I might get a chance to go to some matches and try to support. To be honest theres not much about the club that entices me to cough up my money anymore. Any of the players I have met from this breed haven't been particularly nice where as a few years ago the likes of Ollie Keogh, Billy Clery etc. seemed more down to earth and sound.

I went to a few Mervue United matches last season and have gone to a few Longford Town matches with my old housemate over the last 3 years. Fridays don't suit me because I'm usually still at work. If the club sorts themselves out maybe I'll go back...and I'm not a glory hunter either because there was no glory when I did support them! Highlight was getting promoted and then beating relegation on the last day of the season.

I agree with you on Don O'Riordan, and the decency of people like Billy Clery. My point is the fact Billy, and G, are back at the club is seen by many as hopefully a return to those days when fans felt part of the club, rather than people who supported a team.
    But seriously, Longford Town?? WTF ;-0)

I agree with you on Don O'Riordan, and the decency of people like Billy Clery. My point is the fact Billy, and G, are back at the club is seen by many as hopefully a return to those days when fans felt part of the club, rather than people who supported a team.
    But seriously, Longford Town?? WTF ;-0)

I have to say I enjoyed the Longford Town matches...mainly because the only turds of supporters stayed over in Section O away from everybody...No drum being banged next to your ear. Had a small club feel to it...I get the feel that Galway United try to be bigger than they are. I'm open to going to matches again but odds are I'd only go to one or two and won't rekindle my love affair until things change.

Also I must say Gary Rodgers seemed like a nice guy too

Also I must say Gary Rodgers seemed like a nice guy too

Seemed like a nice lad alright. He was sh!te keeper though.

Funny enough, I rarely missed a home game when Don O'Riordan was manager. He brought alot of dignity to the club which was lost the day he was let go by the board that took over. I hope he's excelling in whatever he's doing now. Seemed like a nice guy.
    Wompa1, I disagree with a lot of what you say, but I have to agree about Don.

If it wasn't for him, I probably would be one of the barstoolers that I now hate so much... :rolleyes:

I was a teenager when he came to United and I played in a few of his summer camps run by the club. They gave out child season ticket to us and we made use of them whenever we could.

That's the sort of thing I'd like to see United return to. That's the sort of thing a community club does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

If the club sorts themselves out maybe I'll go back...

This is the mind-set of alot of people in galway. The club needs you to attend to 'sort themselves out', but people won't go until this happens.

If 2,000 people went to Terryland every other Friday we could afford to bring in better players, improve everything about the club. Sadly, people want the club to already be on top of the table with first-class players and facilities before they attend.

Foxx92 wrote: »
    This is the mind-set of alot of people in galway. The club needs you to attend to 'sort themselves out', but people won't go until this happens.

If 2,000 people went to Terryland every other Friday we could afford to bring in better players, improve everything about the club. Sadly, people want the club to already be on top of the table with first-class players and facilities before they attend.
    I have to agree Foxx, it really does seem to be the truth of the matter.

On a related note, people give out about value for money, but really, a season ticket costs a fair bit less than the cost of a single trip to see a Premiership team. Now, you might make a counter-argument that you aren't comparing like with like. That is true, I won't disagree with anyone about that.

BUT, anyone who tries to tell me that going to watch a LOI game costs too much money is talking through their hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Sean Connor will attend a Galway United Fans Forum next Tuesday, 19th January, at the Marriott Hotel, Headford Road (8.00pm). All United supporters invited to attend.

2010 Season tickets will be on sale.

I have to agree Foxx, it really does seem to be the truth of the matter.

On a related note, people give out about value for money, but really, a season ticket costs a fair bit less than the cost of a single trip to see a Premiership team. Now, you might make a counter-argument that you aren't comparing like with like. That is true, I won't disagree with anyone about that.

BUT, anyone who tries to tell me that going to watch a LOI game costs too much money is talking through their hat.

Started to lose interest in the club when Don O'Riordan was sacked when a new chairman took over. Thought that was lousy. Went to a Longford V Galway United match a few years ago and Galway fans started pointing at two girls in the Away section that were walking by singing Wheres your caravan..the girls were barely 10 I'd say.

Also they have hired a guy called Nick Leeson who is a former convict. Hire a man that destroyed a bank and cost thousands of jobs...makes sense. I guess at least it got a bit of air time on Sky News!

Also they have hired a guy called Nick Leeson who is a former convict. Hire a man that destroyed a bank and cost thousands of jobs...makes sense. I guess at least it got a bit of air time on Sky News!
    We got into Time Magazine too. ;)

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    We got into Time Magazine too. ;)

Juve fan!? You vote for Ronnie O'Brien?

You're right, a past conviction should preclude everyone from ever taking up a job again, what were they thinking?? The fact he has kept the club afloat almost single handed in the last 6 months and hasn't taken a wage in months is irrelevant, the fact he brought down a bank means he should be blacklisted for life.

You're right, a past conviction should preclude everyone from ever taking up a job again, what were they thinking?? The fact he has kept the club afloat almost single handed in the last 6 months and hasn't taken a wage in months is irrelevant, the fact he brought down a bank means he should be blacklisted for life.

Taking down a bank should alright! Especially a position in which he deal with finances anyway! I'd have nothing against him being hired as boot scrubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Taking down a bank should alright! Especially a position in which he deal with finances anyway! I'd have nothing against him being hired as boot scrubber.

At least he served time for his offense, if it happen in this country he would have been paid off and given a huge pension. I dont see you complaining about any of the bankers in this country that have brought this country to its knees!!!

All the banks in this country are BUST and nobody have been sent to prison.

• Advertisement

At least he served time for his offense, if it happen in this country he would have been paid off and given a huge pension. I dont see you complaining about any of the bankers in this country that have brought this country to its knees!!!

All the banks in this country are BUST and nobody have been sent to prison.

Ok Sorry....And all the bankers in this country should be lined up against a wall and shot with their own ****e....better? I don't see why my opinion of a guy that brought down an entire bank and cost the jobs of thousands of people should not be put in charge of our local club particularly in a role which would require finances

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement