Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

At least he served time for his offense, if it happen in this country he would have been paid off and given a huge pension.
    Exactly.

gg, why can't you talk sense on the GUST forum, or do you have some sort of quota system? :rolleyes:

Wompa1 wrote: »
    should not be put in charge of our local club particularly in a role which would require finances
    I'd venture a guess that Nick has put in a fair bit more money into United than he ever received in wages. He seems not to pay himself regularly, to keep things afloat.

He may not have made some very clever decisions but it's worth noting, that if any ONE of the audits done on his activities looked into ANYTHING he did, he would have been found out almost immediately.

I'm not saying what he did was right, of course not, but I'd be inclined to place more blame on the complete lack of control by the bank.

Nick is a very charismatic fella and you can see flashes of how he might have operated in Singapore in the way he conducts himself when questioned at public fora, but I am confident that Nick is a positive influence on the club.

We may have stumbled backwards (and forwards) a few times since he took over, but with the state of the league at the moment, financial stability AND premier division status aren't that easily obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd venture a guess that Nick has put in a fair bit more money into United than he ever received in wages. He seems not to pay himself regularly, to keep things afloat.

He may not have made some very clever decisions but it's worth noting, that if any ONE of the audits done on his activities looked into ANYTHING he did, he would have been found out almost immediately.

I'm not saying what he did was right, of course not, but I'd be inclined to place more blame on the complete lack of control by the bank.

Nick is a very charismatic fella and you can see flashes of how he might have operated in Singapore in the way he conducts himself when questioned at public fora, but I am confident that Nick is a positive influence on the club.

We may have stumbled backwards (and forwards) a few times since he took over, but with the state of the league at the moment, financial stability AND premier division status aren't that easily obtained.

Maybe he is, I don't know. Lets start a get Don O'Riordan back as manager petition!...though I bet Sheffield United pay alot more...I looked him up the Eugoogely!...He's a coach for United in China and helped coach the Chinese Female Soccer Team in the Beijing Olympics...He's gone on to bigger and better things!. Fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Maybe he is, I don't know. Lets start a get Don O'Riordan back as manager petition!...though I bet Sheffield United pay alot more...I looked him up the Eugoogely!...He's a coach for United in China and helped coach the Chinese Female Soccer Team in the Beijing Olympics...He's gone on to bigger and better things!. Fair play to him!

Don is an excellent coach but his man-management skills were poor. He constantly washed his dirty laundry in public which was his ultimate downfall. In a nutshell, he fell out with players who were over the of of 23 or 24 most notably Eric Lavine in the car park in Longford in front of hundreds of people. Both became a laughing stock, allegedly.

Prior to his appointment as the manager of Galway United, Don was manager of Torquay United which was a disaster.

Bottom line: O'Riordan was a poor manager and he was truly found out when he got the job in Sligo were he was soon ran out of town after been thrashed 3 - 1 by Galway United in a Cup match in the Sligo Showgrounds.

What a spoofer.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Don is an excellent coach but his man-management skills were poor. He constantly washed his dirty laundry in public which was his ultimate downfall. In a nutshell, he fell out with players who were over the of of 23 or 24 most notably Eric Lavine in the car park in Longford in front of hundreds of people. Both became a laughing stock, allegedly.

Prior to his appointment as the manager of Galway United, Don was manager of Torquay United which was a disaster.

Bottom line: O'Riordan was a poor manager and he was truly found out when he got the job in Sligo were he was soon ran out of town after been thrashed 3 - 1 by Galway United in a Cup match in the Sligo Showgrounds.

What a spoofer.

Firstly Eric Lavine was an A-Hole....secondly who else did he have a falling out with...Pretty Sure Lavine left Longford and Athlone under similar circumstances.

How did he get found out?...he brought success to Galway United before he went to Sligo. He seems to be pretty succesful as a coach now. Sam Allardyce had a tough time at Newcastle United...I wouldn't say that he got found out

• Advertisement

Firstly Eric Lavine was an A-Hole....secondly who else did he have a falling out with...Pretty Sure Lavine left Longford and Athlone under similar circumstances.

How did he get found out?...he brought success to Galway United before he went to Sligo. He seems to be pretty succesful as a coach now. Sam Allardyce had a tough time at Newcastle United...I wouldn't say that he got found out

Agreed on Lavine. Tidy footballer but.....!

What success did O'Riordan bring to Galway United? Promotion?

Joey Malone brought the FAI Cup to Galway and Dennis Clarke brought a League Cup but the most successful boss ever was Tony Mannion. The club almost won the League with him in the 80s (finished 2nd) and again in the 90s (finished 3rd) as well as a few decent cup runs, 2 League Cups and First Division champions.

With regard to Don O'Riordan; he fell out with many established players most notably Steve Lally, Ronan Killeen, Derek Rodgers, Pete Carpenter and Gerry Mullen who all left the club because they undermined Don. He couldn't handle it.

As I said earlier, Don was a superb coach and he surrounded himself with young players and helped develop them but he was unable to tolerate mature/experienced players who questioned him. Without experienced players, the club failed to progress. Don was a darling of the media who said the right things to charm the journalists but smarminess has a short shelf life.

He applied for other jobs in Ireland but failed. Sligo hired him and he failed to win over the Sligo public who booed him the he walked on the street. I have a workmate who is from Sligo town and he told me that Don lost the dressing room soon after he arrived and his contract was eventually ripped up.

Sean Connor would p1ss all over him :D

PS Sam Alldardyce's first job in football management was with......Limerick City FC.

PS Sam Alldardyce's first job in football management was with......Limerick City FC.

I know he said he had to go door to door asking for money for the club. Good Times!..believe him more than that Snake Doyle ****en on about having to clean his own kit at Cork City when they were pro...what a B.S artist.

Won Promotion, Stayed up and did pretty well in the cup the years he was there. Tony Mannion did do very well for the club but things have changed significantly since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Mannion was the clubs best ever manager.

O'Riordan might have been a bit of a spoofer, and had difficulties dealing with senior players, but he helped build up the club in the community.

While attending some coaching sessions given by Don while he was at United, I could see that Eric seemed to be testing how far he could push him before he lost his temper with him.

It seemed to be just for his amusement really, but he knew exactly what buttons to push, so I wouldn't read too much into Don's falling out with Eric Lavine.

I can only speak for myself, but my experiences of Don were that he was excellent at coaching youngsters and getting the best out of them.

El Mullo wrote: »
    Sean Connor will attend a Galway United Fans Forum next Tuesday, 19th January, at the Marriott Hotel, Headford Road (8.00pm). All United supporters invited to attend.

2010 Season tickets will be on sale.
    Just a reminder that this is on at 8pm in the Marriott Hotel.

• Advertisement

El Mullo wrote: »
    Mannion was the clubs best ever manager.

O'Riordan might have been a bit of a spoofer, and had difficulties dealing with senior players, but he helped build up the club in the community.

Doubt he's a spoofer to be honest. China asked him to help out with one of their teams for the Olympics when they were hosting and vying to get all the medals they could. Maybe the failings were that of the club itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Doubt he's a spoofer to be honest. China asked him to help out with one of their teams for the Olympics when they were hosting and vying to get all the medals they could. Maybe the failings were that of the club itself.

Jumping in here a bit but on the subject of Don O'Riordan, I agree with the comments above, he did a lot for the local community and worked hard to bring young players through. I remember going for a trial in the late 90's, he basically held a trial session for any young players interested to try and unearth any local talent. I played an 11 v 11 game and ended up marking Alan Murphy, who was unheard of that time and was coming through the youths setup.
    I'm not sure who else came through but it was that sort of initiative that saw GU's revival from the old first division and he should be given credit for that.
    It's a shame Jeff Kenna couldn't continue the good work he started.

oddone wrote: »
    It's a shame Jeff Kenna couldn't continue the good work he started.
    I feel the need the point out that when Don O'Riordan was relieved of his position at Galway United, Jeff Kenna was playing with Birmingham City and wasn't to be appointed as our manager for another 8 years.

On a related note, Sean Connor seems determined to build a club and leave something tangible when he leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

I feel the need the point out that when Don O'Riordan was relieved of his position at Galway United, Jeff Kenna was playing with Birmingham City and wasn't to be appointed as our manager for another 8 years..

You don't say. :rolleyes:

I meant on the pitch obviously and in terms of where the club was going, top flight survival and a decent brand of football.

Galway United will be playing a pre-season friendly match against Mervue United in Terryland Park, tomorrow week, Tuesday 9th February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 GUFC2009

Galway United Supporters Trust
    will be holding a fundraising general knowledge table quiz
    on: Thursday Feb 18th @ 9.00pm
    in: Crowes Bar, Bohermore.
    Table of four costs €40
    Spot Prizes & Finger food
    All support appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Supposed to be signing players today according to the paper, hope that is the case, hard to plan for a season when you have no players!!

Yes but without funds it is hard to sign players. Gone are the days of signing players & hoping you might be able to pay them. That is why it is vitally important for anyone intending to buy a season ticket to do so ASAP or support any of the other fundraisers that you can.
    Season Tickets are on sale from the Galway United office at (091) 767336, and from Ronan Coleman at (087) 6972823. Tickets will also be available from the GUST stand at Elverys Sports, Retail Park, Headford Road every Saturday ‘till the start of the season (11.00am - 5.00pm) Adult : €150; Concession : €90; U-12 : €40; Family : €260. Buy an adult Ticket & get a free U-12 with it. That’s just €8.33 per game for an adult & u12 . Cheapest premier division tickets in the country.
    Galway United Draw tickets just €10
    1st Prize : Two Category One Tickets to the Champions League Final (including flights and accomodation). Bernabeu Stadium, Madrid, 22nd May 2010.

2nd Prize : Two Nights Deluxe Stay at Marriott Johnstown House Hotel. Dinner in the Pavilion Restauraunt and two Spa Treatments.

3rd Prize : Two tickets to a Manchester United Premiership match at Old Trafford in 2010.

Table Quiz in Crowes Bar, Bohermore @ 9.00pm Thursday 18th Feb. €40 for table of four.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Tedole wrote: »
    Supposed to be signing players today according to the paper, hope that is the case, hard to plan for a season when you have no players!!
    What newspaper?

What newspaper?

Sentinel.

• Advertisement

"Galway United would like to confirm that Derek O'Brien, Alan Murphy and Barry Ryan have signed new contracts for the coming season. Midfielders Ciaran Foley and Jonathan Keane have rejoined the club.
    More squad updates will be given over the next week."

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/

Great to get Barry Ryan, a few other clubs were talking to him. Super keeper.

Sentinel.
    Thanks, Ernie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

GUFC2009 wrote: »
    "Galway United would like to confirm that Derek O'Brien, Alan Murphy and Barry Ryan have signed new contracts for the coming season. Midfielders Ciaran Foley and Jonathan Keane have rejoined the club.
    More squad updates will be given over the next week."

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/

Great to get Barry Ryan, a few other clubs were talking to him. Super keeper.
    Some good news at last. It's great that we managed to keep Barry and that Johnny Keane is back.

Just six more and we can field a team. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Barry Ryan staying is brilliant news, and also a bit of a surprise considering he was supposed to be Tom French's assistant if he got the manager's job. Best keeper in the league now that Brian Murphy has left Bohs. Hope United can unearth a striker now, good to see the ball rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Great stuff, Galway united to play man united in friendly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Galway United - Mervue United

Friendly, today at 7:30pm in Terryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Galway United - Mervue United

Friendly, today at 7:30pm in Terryland.

Is it free in? (Can't imagine them charging for a local friendly, or could they?)

Col200sx wrote: »
    Is it free in? (Can't imagine them charging for a local friendly, or could they?)
    Adults €10
    Concessions €5
    Season tickets valid for this friendly game.
    Children go free when accompanied by an adult.

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/season-tickets-on-sale-tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Mervue United @ 6/1 for the game

any chance? seems too big not to have a few on for fun

• Advertisement

panama wrote: »
    Mervue United @ 6/1 for the game

any chance? seems too big not to have a few on for fun
    What bookie was stupid enough to give you them odds?

Galway only have 7 players signed and made a raft of changes during the game.

Mervue had a far more settled team out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement