Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

I have about 20-30 Galway Utd programmes from the mid eighties including 1985 FAI Cup final & friendlies against Bournemouth, Southampton & a couple of european ties the club was involved in.

Rather than throw them out if anyone wants them I'll post them out.

PM please

Genuine people please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

programmes gone to a good home..cheers

Galway United have an away game next Saturday against Sporting Fingal with a 4pm kickoff.

Dublin isn't much over 2 hours away now with the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Karl Sheppard has been called up to the Ireland under-19 team.

• Advertisement

28106_397214982469_87293542469_4647571_3422370_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 GUFC2009

Galway United vs Liverpool FC XI
    Monday, 9th, August 2010 in Terryland Park. Kick off at 7.45pm

Galway United Season Ticket holders and affiliated members of the Galway and District League can access tickets from tomorrow (3rd June).
    Tickets will also be on sale this Friday at the match against Malahide United and again onTuesday night v Bohemians.

Tickets go on general sale through all Ticketmaster outlets from Friday 11th June 2010. Tickets are priced as follows:

Main Stand €20 (Limited)
    General Admission €15
    Concession €10
    Children U12 €5

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/galway-united-vs-liverpool-fc-xi

The magic of the cup is back!
    GUFC v Malahide, Terryland Park, KO: 7.45pm tonight.
    First time in a while we should be able to field a full strength team.
    C'mon United!!!!

Don't forget to return completed World Cup Forecast forms to GUST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

cant see Utd having any trouble with the Dubs. But then again they have a decent history of almost causing upsets.

lavaghball wrote: »
    cant see Utd having any trouble with the Dubs. But then again they have a decent history of almost causing upsets.

Yeah, they held Sligo Rovers to a 1-1 in Sligo last year. They've just been relegated from their Division though so we shouldn't have too many problems hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I have a feeling this is going to be a scrappy affair.
    I wonder will Shep start after his travels ?
    Any sign of DOB coming back?

We should win - I'm going for 2-1

See ye in there later(did I hear traffic was bad)

Seven Worlds will Collide

We won 5-0. Our biggest ever win in the FAI Cup.

Bring on Bohs on Tuesday.

Last home game 'till July 5th. All support appreciated

Bohemians on Tuesday June 8th. Kick off 7.45pm in Terryland Park

All Connacht Rugby season ticket holders will be entitled to a five euro discount at the game. Produce a 2009, 2010 or 2011 Connacht Rugby season ticket at the ticket booth to avail of the discount.

United were drawn at home to Salthill Devon in the next round of the cup.

Galway United vs Bohemians

This evening at 7.45pm in Terryland.

Tickets for Liverpool game on sale today 'till 5pm upstairs
    @ Elverys Sports, Headford Road, Galway.
    Buy a Liverpool ticket to-day & save, We don't charge for our service, Ticketmaster do! Also on sale tickets for the all new AVIA DRAW.
    All support appreciated.

Galway United's season restarts tonight away to Drogheda United @7.45pm.

Full squad to choose from apart from long-term absentee Alan Murphy and a doubtful Derek O'Brien who has missed the last 9 games.

We should have a strong team out nonetheless.

The match will be broadcast on Galway Bay FM (TBC) from 8pm. http://vista.streamguys.com/galwaybayfm

Galway got a 1-0 away win tonight. 9 points ahead of Drogheda now and 1 behind Sligo Rovers.

Great win tonight!

• Advertisement

Galway have been really let down by the crowds this year. We have the best team we've had in years and people are still staying away.

One of the best strike partners in the league and some of the best players in the league in other positions as well.

The mind boggles. Only a tenner in on Monday night. If you're at a loose end why not grab a mate and head down to Terryland Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I hope Galway United pull through this episode. Mervue United will probably end up with the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

It would be a big loss to the league if Galway goes down the drain, sick of not leaving Dublin for away "trips", its very rare that we have a good away trip these days and Galway was always a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Is having 3 teams in the top two leagues not detrimental to all of them? Surely if Mervue and Salthill were not playing in the first division more fans would turn up to see Utd. It's a joke.

Mervue and Devon being in the First Division has little or no effect on our attendances. They have very very few paying punters at their games. The majority of which would tend to be the away fans, especially Salthill Devon.

The only effect they have is on advertising revenue which has gone through the floor in the last couple of seasons. It has seen it spread even more thinly.

Mervue playing on Terryland as well as United was a contributing factor to the mess it was in this year (although certainly not the only one). They also pay half what Galway United do in terms of rent, despite using it just as much.

When Mervue or Salthill drop out of the league, which I believe will happen in the next couple of years, it will be due to the league being restructured into regional divisions below an expanded Premier Division and also because they were never sustainable with no support to speak of.

sgthighway wrote: »
    I hope Galway United pull through this episode. Mervue United will probably end up with the same problem.

I doubt it. They don't pay their players to start with.

35843_406331127469_87293542469_4907335_4189235_n.jpg

I doubt it. They don't pay their players to start with.
    Even with all the revenue Mervue receive from the busy astro facilities, the costs involved in having a League of Ireland team aren't to be sniffed at, even if they aren't paying them a wage.

Devon have an even busier setup, but no more than Mervue not having any money to speak of coming in has to be a huge deterrent in terms on continuing to participate in the league.

Unless they drop down themselves after this season or the next, the decision will be made for them. Neither team will ever be able to compete in the league while they are unable to pay players. It's just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

What a shame it would be to see the best strike partnership in memory being split up should Anto Flood go to Scotland. Himself and Sheppard have been outstanding all season. Monday night will prob be the last chance to see them together.
    Hopefully a crowd of 1,000 plus will show up on Monday. It doesn't look good if the punters don't come through the gates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

You say that Salthill and Mervue cannot pay their players- neither can Galway United. At least the first 2 clubs mentioned have solid youth structures in place. Surely it is they who are the future and not Galway United. If someone could explain to me why it is important that Galway United continue to exist when we have two other Eircom league clubs that are on a far more solid footing than them, I would be most grateful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement