Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

You say that Salthill and Mervue cannot pay their players- neither can Galway United. At least the first 2 clubs mentioned have solid youth structures in place. Surely it is they who are the future and not Galway United. If someone could explain to me why it is important that Galway United continue to exist when we have two other Eircom league clubs that are on a far more solid footing than them, I would be most grateful.
    Galway United do not have any divine right to exist. That is why our supporters are acting now. What do you expect when you come into a Galway United thread? It's like going onto a cat website saying Dogs are better... FYI, United have not missed one payment up to the deferral, and the players will be fully reimbursed. I don't know whether you took up some of what the previous posters said wrong, but I don't think any of them were being snide when they stated Salthill and Mervue don't pay their players, it's a well known fact that both clubs are amateur. One poster alluded to the fact they may drop out of the League due to financing, well, that is the crux of the issue for most LOI clubs, believe it or not, I have attended many Mervue and Salthill games this year and on many occasions Mervue for instance haven't broke the 100 mark. In the long term, this will not be a sustainable model. Likewise running Galway United on gates of 800, hence this rallying call from Galway United/Nick Leeson/GUST/Sean Connor. Ideally, I would like to see all Galway clubs do well, but Galway United comes first for me.

Monday night, vs Bray Wanderers. Huge game. I hope to see all of you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

You say that Salthill and Mervue cannot pay their players- neither can Galway United.
    We have been paying the players every other week. They haven't.

A week's wages has been deferred. It's terrible that it had to happen, but I'd say they'll have their money soon.
    At least the first 2 clubs mentioned have solid youth structures in place. Surely it is they who are the future and not Galway United.
    That is nothing to do with anything. A club that can't attract crowds has no business in the League of Ireland. The way things are now, it's debatable whether Galway United can continue. When Galway United had youth structures, all of Galway football gave out about GUFC ruining the game in the city. The carry-on by a couple of clubs at the moment is worse than anything perceived to have been done by GUFC.
    If someone could explain to me why it is important that Galway United continue to exist when we have two other Eircom league clubs that are on a far more solid footing than them, I would be most grateful.
    Is it a bad thing for the city to have a team playing in the country's top division?

Mervue and Devon have great structures, but what they don't have is the finances to sustain a place in the LOI. In order for either of them to make progress, they would have to start paying players, bringing in players from outside Galway. If GUFC didn't do that, they would be in the bottom half of the First Division.

In the next couple of seasons, it is likely that the Premier Divison will be expanded and what's left of the First Division will enter regional divisions, should they decide to stay in the league, along with any other clubs wanting to compete.

Anything anyone says here or on the Galway Soccer Forum in defence of Galway United is twisted or rubbished as arrogance, when a good look in the mirror is all that is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

You say that Salthill and Mervue cannot pay their players
    No, I didn't. I said they don't pay their players, which is a fact. They're both amateur clubs.
    neither can Galway United
    We have every week for years until this week. The players will get everything they're owed though.
    At least the first 2 clubs mentioned have solid youth structures in place.
    Solid youth structures? Yes. A competitive team or a fan base? No.

Solid youth structures? Yes. A competitive team or a fan base? No.
    I agree with you Pinturicchio but lets not let this descend into name calling. I think we can see that coming a mile off.

The major thing that Mervue and Devon have done in the last 10-15 years which United haven't is organise themselves. Applying for grants, developing their facilities. Putting the work in to getting the structures there. I really applaud them for that.

We just never did those things. The youth structures we had were (purposely) let fall apart. Ever since Don O'Riordan left, there has been no "club". Some of the young united teams of that era pissed all over the Galway league and often did the same at a national level. Some used that to serve their own motives, accusing United of damaging the local game. The worst thing United did was let them win and allow the club to fall apart and just become a team.

Whatever chance Galway United has of attracting crowds that make a LOI team viable, Mervue and Devon don't seem to have that potential.

I've heard the point made that games in Terryland are too far away for Mervue people. Personally, I think it's complete nonsense. I was at the first leg of the playoff against Kildare County which saw them promoted from the A Championship. I recognised most people as curious Galway United supporters.

Mervue played and beat Athlone in Terryland back in May. I was there, beautiful day, couldn't have been better for watching football. I'd have put the crowd at 120-130. You can subtract whatever number you want then as season-ticket holders and people who didn't pay in. You need paying punters to survive in the LOI. 100 or 150 every week is not good enough. The same way 7-800 for Galway United games isn't enough for them to be viable either. It might be ok for a mid-table First Division team, but if you don't want to get hockeyed in the Premier you need to have some money coming in at least.

I haven't been to a match in Drom for a while, so I can't comment personally, but from what I hear, their attendances are even weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

35843_406331127469_87293542469_4907335_4189235_n.jpg

Tomorrow night, c'mon people. The club needs the people of Galway to turn out in big numbers in the clubs hour of need.

Adult tickets reduced to €10.

C'mon United!

• Advertisement

U12's go FREE with a paying Adult at tomorrow night's game. €10 for Adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I'll make the effort to be there. Fellow boardies try and do the same and bring a friend or this club won't exist much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

best of luck to GUFC. I hope ye can see out this rough spell off the pitch.

Ronnie - LTFC.

It finished United 2-2 Bray. There was a crowd of 1,350 I think.

1,215 according to the man on the speaker
    Jesus this long ball tactic is so frustrating. They played lovely football for the second goal and then back to the same tactic again. Why oh why

• Advertisement

I wasn't sure what he said. 1,215 is probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Couldn't make it because of work, but seems a decent crowd now days for a monday night game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Galway United have released Anto Flood and Cian McBrian. If true, it is a sad day for the club, great player.

http://www.thegkshow.com/sport/
    At the top of the page (Thursday 15th July 2010)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Remaining tickets for the upcoming friendly against Liverpool will go on sale today at the following venues :

Elverys Sports, Galway Retail Park, Headford Road (upstairs)
    Eyre Square Centre (upstairs)
    Square Inn, Athenry

For further information, contact Ronan Coleman at (087) .

Big match tomorrow!

38103_409802697469_87293542469_4997290_5652875_n.jpg

Rovers won 1-0.

We deserved a draw IMO. Good performance by United.

Yeah they deserved a draw at least.
    Played some nice football. Not the long ball tactic they have used too much lately. I wonder did they change this since flood is no longer playing

Probably. There really wouldn't be any point in playing high balls to Sheppard and Bobby Ryan.

Dundalk up next. They lost 3-0 to Pats yesterday and there's rumours of unrest in their camp. We should be going for 3 points.

KO vs Dundalk at Terryland Park this evening is 7.00pm.

Team news available at www.galwayunitedfc.ie.

• Advertisement

449837Liverpool_Poster_resize.jpg

38541_413741022469_87293542469_5101891_1710575_n.jpg

Update on Liverpool ticket sales

Corribside Stand tickets and U12 tickets sold out.

Adult tickets (€15) and concession tickets (€10) are on sale Sunday 8th August from the following venues :

Galway Shopping Centre, Headford Road (beside Tescos) 1.30pm - 6.00pm
    O'Briens Newsagents, William Street 1.30pm - 6.00pm
    Eyre Square Centre (beside Penneys) 12.00pm - 5.00pm
    Zhivago Records, Shop Street (Ticketmaster)
    Square Inn, Athenry
    Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

For further information, visit www.galwayunitedfc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Anyone at the game? Liverpool reserved were beaten by Galway United in front of a full Terryland Park
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/young-reds-lose-in-galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Anyone at the game? Liverpool reserved were beaten by Galway United in front of a full Terryland Park
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/young-reds-lose-in-galway

Didn't even know it was happening........
    Great result for them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

very good result, pity the League 11 couldn't of had a similar one last week:o

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

justshane wrote: »

Airtricty XI played a full strength Manchester United, Galway United played a Reserve and youths Liverpool FC. Airtricity XI had no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is there any videos of the goal or any pictures from the game?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

justshane wrote: »

Also Airtricity had players who most of whom had never played together before. Take 11 players from different Premier League clubs and they wouldn't make a great team for a one off game, probably no better than Bohs.

Great result for United though, and looks to have brought in some much needed funds. Hope some of the first time attendees come back again!

• Advertisement

United played the first team for the first half, well not even their first choice. A couple of lads rested.

Loads of subs were made for Galway in the second half. Some of the young lads that came on had played 90 mins in A Champ on Saturday and a couple of them also played the majority of the u20 game in Tralee yesterday afternoon.

Good night for the club. A lot of people were just out to support United, more than support Liverpool. More than I had expected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement