Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

The Friday night clash with Connacht is a pain in the ass, but their last match of the season is today. I am an avid follower of the premiership but think there is something different about the live matches of a Friday night.
    In relation to the standard of the league, it is far superior than the standard of say 10 years back. United play decent football and they have given a good few local lads a chance, which they have taken.
    A question for anyone that might think about attending a match up there: What would convince you to give Terryland a try? A free ti9cket or buy one ticket get a free one? Half price season ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Am a supporter of the Eircom League myself, however do honestly think that the admission prices are way too expensive, hence putting people off(Know that this applies to all LOI Prem clubs not just Galway United).....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

I lived in Galway for many years and had the misfortune of attending Terryland on numerous occasions. Since I moved to England I have attended several lower league games and have come to the conclusion that a team like Galway United would struggle in the conference, or the Blue Square Premier as it is now known. People will point to someone like Kevin Doyle or Keith Fahey and how well they are doing as a barometer of the health of the league in Ireland, but these guys are definitely the exception. The reality is that many cross channel abject failures are very successful here. Look at a guy like Gary Twigg of Shamrock Rovers.
    The sad reality for fans of Galway United is that you are watching a rubbish team in a rubbish league.

Cashdoneatthecross!

You don't appear on the betfair forum to often nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

One issue with Galway united is the location of the stadium. Depending on where you live its not exactly easy to get to or get away from and parking is a nightmare. Its a shame too because its a nice ground once you get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

God there is no escape lol!!! Hardly ever on Betfair nowadays to be honest - went away abroad to Eastern Europe working for a few months in October and came back in March........not been able to get any work since I came back hence have scaled the punting down.....

Brgds
    Johnny

Sorry to hear that Johnny. Good luck with finding work. You are missied from betfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Happily this thread hasn't descended into the usual bitch-fests that occur on the soccer forum whenever League of Ireland is mentioned. Hopefully that will continue!

Personally I've been following the team on and off (mostly off) since I was in school. It all started back with the FAI Cup win in 1991. I used to go regularly with a few friends up to around the time I did my Junior Cert (1994). Around that time the team got relegated and despite what anyone says, I firmly believe the standard of football on display was awful at that time. This was Souness-era Liverpool as well so I was well acquainted with poor football :(.

I went back for an occasional game over the next few years but the hassle of getting there and home again when I wasn't driving made sure it was never going to be a regular thing. Before anyone jumops on that, I know the traffic and public transport issues in Galway aren't the club's fault!

When I went to college I also went to an occasional game but the move to Friday soccer resulted in a clash with a regular soccer game that I play in. I tried once to combine both in an evening as our game finishes at 7:30 but when the guy at the turnstile refused to let me in for anything less than full price when I made it down just after half time that was the end of it. There's no way I'm paying €10 for 40 minutes or so of a game. The price may even have gone up since, I haven't checked.

So, in a nutshell, I'd definitely attend more games except for the facts that I'm almost always doing something on a Friday evening, the prices are a bit high for what is offered and the Dyke road is very awkward to get to and from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I try to get up to Terryland whenever possible.There is a decent atmosphere there a lot of the time.The quality is average enough but when you compare watching Galway United 3-4 years ago to now the standard has improved substantially.Also I think Galway made a mess out of developing a fanbase by alienating fans when deciding to charge 20 euro last season.They dropped it back to 15 after a short time but the damage was done.A few people I have talked to have said that was why they stopped going to Terryland.

Unfortunately the Premier league will always be number 1 on most people's list but there are worse ways of spending a Friday night.The match is over at 9.35/9.40 and you can go into town for the night then happy you have earned your few pints!

Also Mervue United are a team who are trying to make their way in the LOI and deserve much more local support than they are getting.A season ticket is something like 50 euro and its 10 euro to get in.They are an honest group of players with Johnny Glynn and Mark Herrick in charge.Doing very well so far aroun mid table and will only improve.

If you spend your money on Man Utd. or Liverpool or whoevers merchandise it will only be going towards Ronaldo's hairgel for the week.If you spend your few euro on Galway and Mervue you can be sure its badly needed to help these clubs survive.

The league as a whole needs improved facilities first of all and it needs to see clubs working inside their financial limits.More needs to be done to entice young players to spend a couple of years playing at home before then trying to make the move to England.The fact is a fella who is 19/20/21 and has a couple of years first team experience under his belt and has some education will be far easier able to fit in abroad than if he goes there at 15/16.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

The sad reality for fans of Galway United is that you are watching a rubbish team in a rubbish league.
    So people who support 'rubbish' teams or teams who are going through a bad patch should just pack up a follow Liverpool or Man U because they're class:rolleyes:. What kind of attitude is this to have, I personally would love for Liverpool or ManU to go spiraling down the league like Leeds. How many 'Supporters 4 life' would they have then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Also, I don't know how many of ye are aware at the state of Underage football in Galway. It is dreadful, there are walkovers being given all sides with no consequences. Tuam Celtic got promoted from second division coz Oughterard gave them a bye, madness. If Oughterard had played and won, Mac Dara and Crumlin could have been in with a shout. Very, very unfair.

Secondly, any good - great players are moving to Mervue. Where is the competition there? In GAA, if you live in a town with a club or a club closest to it, you have to play with it or not at all. I reckon it should be implemented at the underage level.

Any of the exceptionally talented players are being scouted by english teams e.g, Tuam's Ethan Mannion went to the prestigious St. Kevin's Boys and is now in England with the West Ham academy and you will see him in the Premiership.

If the same craic is happening in every other county, then the LOI is always going to be pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

mars bar wrote: »
    It is dreadful, there are walkovers being given all sides with no consequences. Tuam Celtic got promoted from second division coz Oughterard gave them a bye, madness. If Oughterard had played and won, Mac Dara and Crumlin could have been in with a shout. Very, very unfair.
    I don't understand what that has to do with anything... That was in the Galway & DL, not at underage level. Also, as far as I know, Oughterard are due to play Tuam Celtic in South Park on the morning of Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah, I should have distinguished my point of underage football and the senior team! Sorry :o

I have just heard, on inspection of your post, that that game is supposed to be re-scheduled. BUT, that is the Galway FA re-writing the rules. The rules state that when a team are ready to travel and the other team withdraws, all three points go to the traveling team. Tuam are refusing to play the game as it is bending the law.

That is the kinda craic going on with the Galway FA.

*(I do understand that the reason for the game being called off by Oughterard as genuine though and there was no way about it)

While the points going to Tuam mean they win the league, second place is still up for grabs. If Mac Dara win their two remaining games, they will gain second place on goal difference as theirs is much superior to Crumlins. IF they win both games.

On the subject of United... Galway that is...

Next Friday Galway United will take on Bray Wanderers in Terryland Park with a 7.45 kick-off, with a win potentially moving them into fourth place.

Foxx92 wrote: »
    I personally would love for Liverpool or ManU to go spiraling down the league like Leeds. How many 'Supporters 4 life' would they have then.
    Let's assume that Man Utd and Liverpool experience a catastrophic financial meltdown like Leeds. Do you honestly think that the bandwagon-jumping fan that I think we all dislike will suddenly think "Yeah, actually, I will pop down to Terryland to see what's going on."?

malice_ wrote: »
    Let's assume that Man Utd and Liverpool experience a catastrophic financial meltdown like Leeds. Do you honestly think that the bandwagon-jumping fan that I think we all dislike will suddenly think "Yeah, actually, I will pop down to Terryland to see what's going on."?

They haven't a hope, they'll just support who's top of the league and make it look as the team they always been a die-hard fan of. For the people on this forum who don't go to terryland regularly(or at all), why don't ye go on Friday and make up your minds then.

Foxx92 wrote: »
    They haven't a hope, they'll just support who's top of the league and make it look as the team they always been a die-hard fan of.
    Well then, if Liverpool or Man Utd disappearing into oblivion would have no effect on Galway Utd, why did you post this:
    I personally would love for Liverpool or ManU to go spiraling down the league like Leeds.
    Foxx92 wrote:
    For the people on this forum who don't go to terryland regularly(or at all), why don't ye go on Friday and make up your minds then.
    I can't speak for others but I listed my reasons in a previous post.

I'm not going to get into a debate about why you should support your local team, it's not going to convince a local who's an avid Liverpool/United fan....

But what i will say is, the LOI now is probably the most competitive league in Europe if not the world, what fun is it watching United win every year, or miss out marginally to one of the other ''big 4'', that replicates itself all over the place, but apart from Bohs been standout class and Drogheda looking the standout poor team anyone can(and have) take points from one another

malice_ wrote: »
    I can't speak for others but I listed my reasons in a previous post.
    You have valid reasons for not attending, however its the people who are available to go on Friday i'm trying to persuade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JStand

I dont feel like paying 15euro for the privilage of being surrounded by drum banging muppets singing der der der der der der der der der....... nor would i feel comfortable knowing that part of my 15quid goes to bank rolling N*** L*****'s salary. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

JStand wrote: »
    I dont feel like paying 15euro for the privilage of being surrounded by drum banging muppets singing der der der der der der der der der....... nor would i feel comfortable knowing that part of my 15quid goes to bank rolling N*** L*****'s salary. Hope this helps

Sorry, sir. Do you prefer to spend 500 quid on travel, tickets etc to sit in complete silence instead :confused:

SYLT wrote: »
    Sorry, sir. Do you prefer to spend 500 quid on travel, tickets etc to sit in complete silence instead :confused:

It cost nowhere near that unless one goes on a galway Utd package to Old Trafford or Stadium of light. How much did L***** and Co charge for for Utd v Celtic a couple of season ago:D

It cost nowhere near that unless one goes on a galway Utd package to Old Trafford or Stadium of light. How much did L***** and Co charge for for Utd v Celtic a couple of season ago:D

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You make no sense.

So you've never heard of the Galway Utd package tours to watch English football?

Nope, I dont support Galway. What are they anyway? Do you use them?

No why would I. Heres an example of the club who want you to support your local team:rolleyes:
    http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/events/united-airways.html

No why would I. Heres an example of the club who want you to support your local team:rolleyes:
    http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/events/united-airways.html

How small time of them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shaniev

The people that sing and use the "drums" are in the old stand and you can sit in the new stand so that's that one sorted. 15euro isn't bad to see LIVE football rather than watching a match on a tv screen or in a pub where you'll spend more than 15euro. As for the last statement about N*** L*****'s grow up jesus
    So you've never heard of the Galway Utd package tours to watch English football?

ffs that was in 2006 over 2 and a half years ago.

Shaniev wrote: »
    ffs that was in 2006 over 2 and a half years ago.
    And was only done a couple of times. The club were only trying to tap into alternative revenue streams. As for them being expensive, I hope they ***** everyone who went on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

i think this thread is losing the plot. Hows about this. If you fancy an alternative to your usual Friday night routine, come on down, you'd be more than welcome. You might enjoy yourself and become a regular. If you don't, at least ya gave it a shot and ya can happily go back to what ever it was you did before. If you don't want to bother in the first place,thats fine too. But theres sod all good coming on here and slagging off a club you want nothing to do with, or have no time for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement