Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

baldshin wrote: »
    Hope some of the first time attendees come back again!
    Anyone holding on to their ticket for the match tonight will get in to the next match for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Anyone got any photo's?

Not really. A couple here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacork/4876891423/

There were a few photographers there though. I'm sure they'll surface in the next few days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Mr husband man was there with his mates. Really enjoyed it. It's a pity no Liverpool "names" showed up, but so close to the start of the season would be expecting a bit much.

He said there were kids playing at half time, anyone know which teams they were? He said there was a brilliant little guy playing on the blue team.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

it was a good enough game. Galway United played very well, and deserved their victory.

As a big Liverpool fan, I was very excited by the game, and anyone who complains about the players sent over by Liverpool should stand back and actually think about the players.

* Jack Robinson (although he was rubbish last night) played against Hull last year in the premierleague.

* Daniel Ayala played a few games for the first team last year, his debut was against the long ball, throw in tactic of Stoke and coped very well for a young centre half.

* Chris Mavinga has just returned from winning the U19 European Championship with France and was a key member of the starting team. first game back.

* Steve Irwin is talked about alot as potential from the current youth team, as is

* David Amoo, anyone at the game was number 7 with bags of pace.

* Tom Ince was at the other wing, son of Paul Ince.

* Jesus 'Suso' Hernandez was number 10. a brilliant prospect, played for the full team last week, along with Gerrard, Cole...etc. still only 16

* Dean Bouzanis, the keeper, another lad with potential, made a fantastic double save just before the goal.

overall it wasent a bad team and I really wanted to see some of our younger players play. Very excited by Suso.

the fan who came on for Galway and was greeted with chants of 'Roooney Roooneeyy' both times he touched the ball!

The Galway United fans were brilliant, despite the fact, they sung intentionally over 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and this peed me off, like they could have some bit of respect as a) Liverpool were giving them a game and b) thinkof the money they were getting from one game alone. Also towards the end, they started singing some pretty nast stuff towards Liverpool...'you Scouse b*****d' and 'Everton reserves'.....etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

The Galway United fans were brilliant, despite the fact, they sung intentionally over 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and this peed me off, like they could have some bit of respect as a) Liverpool were giving them a game and b) thinkof the money they were getting from one game alone. Also towards the end, they started singing some pretty nast stuff towards Liverpool...'you Scouse b*****d' and 'Everton reserves'.....etc

How is this a lack of respect its not a national anthem:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

was good win for galway utd, worked very hard, have to say though maybe 3 reserves for liverpool rest would be from underage though, the place erupted when galway utd scored from both sets of fans, stark contrast to utd vs airtricity last week when the irish lads were being booed from time to time, anyways good result hopefully some of the crowd will realise what a good job sean connors doing and keep coming up for remainder of the season, 10E ADMISSION WITH LAST NIGHTS TICKET STUB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

it was a good enough game. Galway United played very well, and deserved their victory.

As a big Liverpool fan, I was very excited by the game, and anyone who complains about the players sent over by Liverpool should stand back and actually think about the players.

* Jack Robinson (although he was rubbish last night) played against Hull last year in the premierleague.

* Daniel Ayala played a few games for the first team last year, his debut was against the long ball, throw in tactic of Stoke and coped very well for a young centre half.

* Chris Mavinga has just returned from winning the U19 European Championship with France and was a key member of the starting team. first game back.

* Steve Irwin is talked about alot as potential from the current youth team, as is

* David Amoo, anyone at the game was number 7 with bags of pace.

* Tom Ince was at the other wing, son of Paul Ince.

* Jesus 'Suso' Hernandez was number 10. a brilliant prospect, played for the full team last week, along with Gerrard, Cole...etc. still only 16

* Dean Bouzanis, the keeper, another lad with potential, made a fantastic double save just before the goal.

overall it wasent a bad team and I really wanted to see some of our younger players play. Very excited by Suso.

the fan who came on for Galway and was greeted with chants of 'Roooney Roooneeyy' both times he touched the ball!

Well boo hoo, did the home fans ruin your fun singing songs about your beloved foreign team?? And as for thinking about the money from the game, I'm sure Liverpool didn't come over out of the good of their hearts, but actually received a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Tugboats wrote: »
    How is this a lack of respect its not a national anthem:confused:
    What does the song being a national anthem have to do with the disrespect of singing over it? It's a petty thing to do regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Malice_ wrote: »
    What does the song being a national anthem have to do with the disrespect of singing over it? It's a petty thing to do regardless.

Because a National anthem is the only song which i think fans should sit through and respect. You expect home fans to be silent while some meaningless song blares out of the tannoy? Oh dear:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tribalarmy

It doesn't deserve any respect. If you were so disappointed with it being sung over why didn't you open your mouth and sing along and try and outsing your local side's supporters. I only saw one Liverpool 'fan' stand up and sing along with and to be fair she sung it well. If you were so peed off at the lack of respect it was shown you should be giving out to the Pool fans. Aren't you told to stand up for it at Anfield. Didn't see anyone up on their feet:o

Keep your ticket stubs for the crucial Drogheda game at Terryland on the 20th of August and you will be admitted for just €10.
    Brilliant night for the club and the volunteers that worked so hard to get this game to happen. It's real pity we can't get Terryland packed to the rafters like that for important league game. There were only 600 at the Fingal game. The local lads don't deserve support like that.:(
    SO PLEASE try your best to make the game against Drogheda and bring Galway United Football Club back to the glory years.

Tugboats wrote: »
    Because a National anthem is the only song which i think fans should sit through and respect. You expect home fans to be silent while some meaningless song blares out of the tannoy? Oh dear:o
    Fair enough, I think You'll Never Walk Alone hardly qualifies as meaningless but we'll just have to disagree on that one.
    tribalarmy wrote: »
    It doesn't deserve any respect. If you were so disappointed with it being sung over why didn't you open your mouth and sing along and try and outsing your local side's supporters.
    One of the most famous football anthems in the world doesn't deserve any respect? Fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one too :). For the record I wasn't at the game due to the fact that I don't live in Galway any more (stupid recession) but if I was at the game I would have sung along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Galway United fans have their own version of YNWA entitled "You''ll Never Walk In Athlone"

Buy the T Shirt http://walkthechalk.spreadshirt.net/you-ll-never-walk-in-athlone-t-shirt-A3630128

YOU'LL NEVER WALK IN ATHLONE
    (Song sung to the tune of "You'll Never Walk Alone")

When you walk tru de town,
    Hold your head in your hands,
    And be - be afraid - of the dark.

But at de end of de town,
    Lies St. Mel's Park,
    Where all de knackers live.

Walk on tru de stand,
    Walk on tru de stand,
    Though your dreams be messed up....

Walk on, walk on, with fear in your heart,
    And you'll never walk in Athlone,
    You'll never walk in Athlone.

After dark, after dark with fear in your heart,
    And you'll never walk in Athlone,
    You'll never walk in Athlone

Any time I hear Athlone mentioned all I can think about is this:

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Anyone got any photo's?
    A guy called Andy Benitez took some fantastic snaps of the game, just found them by chance on Flickr, link- http://www.flickr.com/photos/27954547@N08/

Any time I hear Athlone mentioned all I can think about is this:

*pushes him for an answer......keeps pushing for answer*

''I'LL RIDE ANYTHING I GET.....''

What a punchline, nice to see some people still have standards :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone holding on to their ticket for the match tonight will get in to the next match for a tenner.

Whos the next match against and how much are tickets usually?

Went to the Liverpool game, not a fan, but twas a bit of craic. Might start alternating between Galway United matches and Connacht Rubgy matches.

If you hold onto your Liverpool ticket, admission will be €10 for our next home game against Drogheda United on Friday 20th August.

Usual admission prices are:

Adult €15
    Concession (Student & OAP) €10
    Child €5
    Family Ticket (2 + 2) €30

You can always check at at a glance when our next home game will be by checking http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/

We also have a relatively popular discussion forum at http://galwayunitedfc.net/ (requires registration)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I'm a United season ticket holder but I couldn't make it to this match.

Anyone who thinks You'll Never Walk Alone should've been "respected" is deluded.

Highlights of Monday night's game - Galway United 1-0 Liverpool XI

HIGH DEFINITION

NORMAL QUALITY

Click the links to view the highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Super win last night boys. Bohemians 0-2 Galway United and we were down to 9 men. Great stuff lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Nine vs a twelve-man Dublin XI !

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

super win, sean connor and the lads are doing grat stuff considering all thats goin on in the background, it was stephen walsh who scored the 2nd goal , not derek o brien as ws reported(i heard anyway:))

drogs_aug20.png

Team news, an interview with Sean Connor and a preview of the match programme.
    http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/tean-news-19082010

Adult ticket stub holders from the Liverpool game on 9th August can avail of a 5 euro discount on the 15 euro admission price in Terryland Park. We look forward to seeing as many as possible supporters in Terryland on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Heading to my first ever Galway United game tomorrow night, looking forward to it. Is 7 o clock too early to be there?

Is 7 o clock too early to be there?
    No, the gates open at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Heading to my first ever Galway United game tomorrow night, looking forward to it. Is 7 o clock too early to be there?

i hope you enjoy Terryland Hyperbullet. I am very curios why you are going?

Have you ever been to a League of Ireland game before anywhere else?

If not, why not?

Also, what age group are you?

And finally, are you from Galway?

That's great to hear. :)

There's probably no need to be there at 7 but if you want to go in at that time that's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

ErnieBert wrote: »
    i hope you enjoy Terryland Hyperbullet. I am very curios why you are going?

Have you ever been to a League of Ireland game before anywhere else?

If not, why not?

Also, what age group are you?

And finally, are you from Galway?

And what did you have for breakfast ? :P

Hyperbullet, as per other posters, gates are open at 7.00pm. 7.15pm - 7.30pm plenty of time to be at the ground. If you are walking, Terryland is approx 20 mins from Eyre Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

You'll be hooked after one game!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement