Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Another win for United today. 2-1 away to PSNI. Enda Curran scored both goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Adult and concession season tickets are on sale at €99, with a secondary school student rate of €59.

Forms are available on-line at www.galwayunitedfc.ie. Completed forms can be returned to (and are also available from) :

Terryland Park
    O'Briens Newsagents, William Street
    Claddagh and Celtic Jewellers, Quay Street
    The Square Inn, Athenry
    O'Briens Hardware, Main Street, Loughrea

Galway United Supporters Trust will have a season ticket stand at Elverys Sports, Galway Retail Park, Headford Road, every Saturday (11.00am - 5.00pm).

For further information, send me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

They have been refused a license for the Premier Division.

They have 5 days to appeal but in all fairness who would want to buy a season ticket for a club in their scenario.

Are they even allowed to play in Division 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well well - didn't take long for the haters/begrudgers to come out

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This licensing thing is fairly important for the future of the club.
    Anyone know why it hasnt been granted? I assume it is on the financial side?

• Advertisement

I'm not a haters/begrudger but the supporters should have considered walking away from the CEO and let it go to the wall and then setup a new club and try and run it voluntary. Its been dragging on for years. Cork and Derry seem to be recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Well well - didn't take long for the haters/begrudgers to come out

I don't see no hatin' up in this thread. Surely that post was just a genuine query? It highlights a major problem for the club- they are trying to sell to people without a product- no one knows what sort of a team they are gong to have, or even what division they will be in, if they can field a team at all. I say all of this without knowing the ins and outs of the situation.

I wish GUFC well, especially now that the trust is more involved. I don't know Ronan Coleman, but he seems like a very enthusiastic guy and people I respect speak well of him, so I hope that he and his team can pull something out of the hat in the next few days.

Best of luck lads and I hope you get the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

sgthighway wrote: »
    I'm not a haters/begrudger but the supporters should have considered walking away from the CEO and let it go to the wall and then setup a new club and try and run it voluntary. Its been dragging on for years. Cork and Derry seem to be recovering.

The thing is, what kind of a club have you if supporters walk away from it and let it fail?
    Its just a commercial venture at that point (yeah, I know thats how they are supposed to be run) but the club needs to be more than a commercial venture to attract fans and supporters.

You didnt see any of fans of cross channel clubs "walk away" from the club and let them go to the wall and I dont know why you would expect if of a club over here.

GU went too big too fast in a city that cant support, Hurling, Gaelic, Rugby and all the other soccer clubs around the place.
    They need to step back a bit, perhaps drop a league, cut costs again - live within their means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

People have been turning away from the club for the last 3 years in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

kippy wrote: »
    The thing is, what kind of a club have you if supporters walk away from it and let it fail?
    Its just a commercial venture at that point (yeah, I know thats how they are supposed to be run) but the club needs to be more than a commercial venture to attract fans and supporters.
    People have been turning away from the club for the last 3 years in all honesty.

G U Football Club Limited is just the company behind the Galway United name. Very few supporters of the club have any idea of that. A different company behind the scenes running the club changes nothing. It would be the 3rd or 4th company to have been behind Galway United.
    kippy wrote: »
    GU went too big too fast in a city that cant support, Hurling, Gaelic, Rugby and all the other soccer clubs around the place.
    They need to step back a bit, perhaps drop a league, cut costs again - live within their means.
    Galway United can't cut costs any further. Completely strangled with debt, it has to spend money to generate enough to keep up with money owed to creditors. Spending nothing and getting nothing in would be suicide.

Monaghan counting their chickens already. Quite a few twists left in this story, trust me.

• Advertisement

There will be an appeal lodged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never kinew there was a GUFC thread until I saw it on the front page.

Just want to say I'm gutted for the GUFC heads, some of whom I recognize from soccer. Always had time for the club, ground and the fans. Best of luck with the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

This isn't good news and hope the appeal goes well. I have purchased a season ticket(still waiting for it to come though). What happens if the club does not get a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This isn't good news and hope the appeal goes well. I have purchased a season ticket(still waiting for it to come though). What happens if the club does not get a license.

Well I presume that games would still be in Terryland but maybe a slight refund on the tickets (but they are cash strapped so don't be suprised if they can't offer refunds)

I would not be suprised if they won the appeal. Hopefully.

I'm hopeful of getting at least a First Division license on appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Galway Bay FM today said the failure to get a Tax Clearance Cert was the reason for failure to award a licence.

I don't know though if they get one and with the appeal, will that be enough to get a licence.
    I have purchased a season ticket(still waiting for it to come though). What happens if the club does not get a license.

I bought a season ticket too, before the original deadline of December 7th, never did I think they wouldn't be awarded a PL licence.

Oh, and my season ticket hasn't arrived yet either, but I knew it wouldn't be delivered until near season kick off having talked to a few people involved with it.

Here's hoping the appeal is successful. Fingers and everything crossed :o

Breaking: GALWAY CONFIRM APPEAL

by Alan Smith
    Mon, Feb 14 2011
    Galway United have finally released a statement confirming that they intend to appeal the FAI Club Licensing committee’s decision not to award them a Premier or First Division licence for 2011.

Speculation had amounted throughout the day about the future of the Terryland Park club. It now appears, however, that they were denied after being unable to file a tax clearance certificate in time.

The brief statement read: “Galway United FC are disappointed with the decision of the Club Licencing committee and will be appealing the outcome. The club will shortly be in possession of a Tax Clearance Certificate and are in the process of settling fully with one remaining football creditor. We are expecting a positive decision from the Appeals Committee and look forward to continuing our 34 year tenure in the League of Ireland.”

Nevertheless, the FAI have also confirmed to ExtraTime.ie that no new material may be submitted in the appeal. If that is the case, then it looks unlikely that Galway will be in the Premier Division next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Typical of FAI. No new material allowed for an appeal. Are not most appeals on the grounds additional evidence being available. FAI morons:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Appeal will be lodged, hopefully a positive outcome will see United back in the Premier Division.

Season ticket prices (€99) are already lower than most First Division clubs. Some supporters went out yesterday and bought a season ticket to support the club.

The tickets willl be posted out in February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Tommyboyjedi

Can you still get season tickets? As a Chelsea fan, the idea of gettin a season ticket for €99 to ur local club is too salivating too pass up.. will there be sold out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Can you still get season tickets? As a Chelsea fan, the idea of gettin a season ticket for €99 to ur local club is too salivating too pass up.. will there be sold out yet?

Season tickets still available. The more sold the better.

As posted earlier in thread:

Adult and concession season tickets are on sale at €99, with a secondary school student rate of €59.

Forms are available on-line at
    www.galwayunitedfc.ie. Completed forms can be returned to (and are also available from) :

Terryland Park
    O'Briens Newsagents, William Street
    Claddagh and Celtic Jewellers, Quay Street
    The Square Inn, Athenry
    O'Briens Hardware, Main Street, Loughrea

Galway United Supporters Trust will have a season ticket stand at Elverys Sports, Galway Retail Park, Headford Road, every Saturday (11.00am - 5.00pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

I'm very surprised what happened to Galway. If there was a club that I was expecting not to get a Premier License it was Bohs. Pity that this has happened as they put so much work into improving the stadium and facilities in Terryland in the last few seasons and was always a good trip. Hope they come back up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

El Mullo wrote: »
    Appeal will be lodged, hopefully a positive outcome will see United back in the Premier Division.

When will the appeal be heard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Lapin wrote: »
    When will the appeal be heard ?
    Tomorrow morning.

It is expected that an decision will also be made tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tommyboyjedi

Appeal Successful

Premier League License Awarded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

FAI CONFIRM GALWAY UNITED FC SUCCESSFUL IN CLUB LICENSING APPEAL

The Independent Club Licensing Appeals Body met this morning to consider Galway United’s appeal of the decision of the Independent Club Licensing Committee not to award the club a Premier Division Licence.

The Appeals Body noted that it is essential to good governance in football that all required documentation is supplied by its due date and in this particular case, they recognise that the onus was on the club to produce the appropriate evidence to the Club Licensing Committee.

The Appeals Body acknowledge that the tax affairs of the club were and are in order and it was clear that the club had made attempts to secure the appropriate documentation but due to exceptional events were unable to provide it on the date required.

Given the full circumstances that pertain to this case, the Appeals Body overturned the decision of the Club Licensing Committee and awarded a League Licence – Premier Division to Galway United FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Foxx92 wrote: »
    FAI CONFIRM GALWAY UNITED FC SUCCESSFUL IN CLUB LICENSING APPEAL

The Independent Club Licensing Appeals Body met this morning to consider Galway United’s appeal of the decision of the Independent Club Licensing Committee not to award the club a Premier Division Licence.

The Appeals Body noted that it is essential to good governance in football that all required documentation is supplied by its due date and in this particular case, they recognise that the onus was on the club to produce the appropriate evidence to the Club Licensing Committee.

The Appeals Body acknowledge that the tax affairs of the club were and are in order and it was clear that the club had made attempts to secure the appropriate documentation but due to exceptional events were unable to provide it on the date required.

Given the full circumstances that pertain to this case, the Appeals Body overturned the decision of the Club Licensing Committee and awarded a League Licence – Premier Division to Galway United FC.

Thank christ. I never doubted it for a minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Great news, hopefully people will now get behind the club run by the fans, for the fans :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Great news, hopefully people will now get behind the club run by the fans, for the fans :)

+1

Fantastic news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement