Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I lived in Galway for many years and had the misfortune of attending Terryland on numerous occasions. Since I moved to England I have attended several lower league games and have come to the conclusion that a team like Galway United would struggle in the conference, or the Blue Square Premier as it is now known. People will point to someone like Kevin Doyle or Keith Fahey and how well they are doing as a barometer of the health of the league in Ireland, but these guys are definitely the exception. The reality is that many cross channel abject failures are very successful here. Look at a guy like Gary Twigg of Shamrock Rovers.
    The sad reality for fans of Galway United is that you are watching a rubbish team in a rubbish league.

I don't think your design is actually for watching football matches though. Your design is most likely for working out statistics, tactics and other such number crunching issues.

Unfortunately even in this day and age our best scientists and researchers have not figured out how to design a robot with emotions yet...when they do I think that it will be great to see robots enjoying football matches all around the country. Up to now they have been opressed by white men and black alike. They have been given jobs like controlled explosions, made work in factories 24/7 without any breaks even. I say give them rights like we all have.

581C52359F184066A244A001670960B6.jpg

No seriously though sport is about enjoyment aswell and there's loads of proof of that in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Irish lads in England all have to come from somewhere. If people want to see a future Premiership player, come to Terryland and watch Jay O'Shea.

+1 to that, Jay O'Shea is quality. They're gonna struggle to hang onto him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

there will b a bigger crowd in terryland on sunday to watch west united play in the connacht cup final at 3,the reason why is cause its a local team there is not enough local lads up with galway united thats why no crowd imo

There is no one from the west on that team anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/images/pdf/Galway_United_Match_Advert_Bray150509.pdf

I'd ask everyone who is available on Friday to Terryland. If you've been promising yourself you'd go sometime, go on Friday. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

JStand wrote: »
    I dont feel like paying 15euro for the privilage of being surrounded by drum banging muppets singing der der der der der der der der der....... nor would i feel comfortable knowing that part of my 15quid goes to bank rolling N*** L*****'s salary. Hope this helps
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wouldn't call that "a privilage".

The drummers in the old stand create a unique atmosphere but i always stay away from that stand - it must be something to do with me being middle aged? The new stand is far enough away from the noise.

I don't know Nick Leeson but he is well respected in the irish game. He has brought the club forward and I applaud the man for what he has done. He also had the foresight to implement cutbacks just before the Celtic Tiger ran out of breath. Other League of Ireland clubs had points deducted and 2 others had to resign from the League (kilkenny City & Cobh).

I see that you don't want to pay 15 Euro to go to a match in Terryland. Fair enough. If you change your mind, I might give you 15 Euro to stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Quality has improved in recent years. There is some really nice football being played by the likes of Jay O'Shea and Iarla Davoren.

When the crowd get involved (and show up) the atmosphere can be really great. If you are a football fan, live football is always great even if the standard it is not quite up to utd or liverpool etc.

Prices were high last year - it was a mistake, has been recognised as such and have been reduced again. The fact is that Galway Utd is a business and increases in prices along with those trips that were mentioned earlier were both tried in order to bring some badly needed money in. A lot of people who went on the trips were big galway utd. supporters who contribute a lot to galway utd and this was another wa to give money to the club and get a day out out of it.

As for not going because of Nick Leeson??:confused: Just another excuse by certain people who cant be bothered getting off their arses to give galway utd a go. He certainly doesnt do the job for the money or to line his pockets. There are plenty of other ways for him to make money - he does after dinner speeches and all that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I would like to see a bit more co-operation between Galway United and Connacht Rugby. In a town the size of Galway when you have 2 professional sports teams playing at pretty much the same time, you're losing numbers.

With funding becoming scarce for both teams, I working together as the only way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As for not going because of Nick Leeson??:confused: Just another excuse by certain people who cant be bothered getting off their arses to give galway utd a go.
    Isn't it possible that whoever posted was connected with Barings Bank in some way?
    Robbo wrote: »
    I would like to see a bit more co-operation between Galway United and Connacht Rugby. In a town the size of Galway when you have 2 professional sports teams playing at pretty much the same time, you're losing numbers.

With funding becoming scarce for both teams, I working together as the only way forward.
    Actually that is something I was wondering about before. Are Galway Utd professional i.e. do the players get a weekly wage just to play for the club or are they amateur in that the players have day jobs? I think they used to be professional but surely they aren't any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

malice_ wrote: »
    Isn't it possible that whoever posted was connected with Barings Bank in some way?

Fair enough if thats the reason. But in general if its your local club and you want to support the team then support them and dont worry about who is the current ceo etc. The board and the ceo change but supporters support the team.

As for the question of whether they are professional - they were last year but they couldnt keep it up - just too expensive. The players are part time now, part time wages etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

its a very nice pitch,nice supporters for pre match drinks,anytime we travel from fundalk its always a cracking night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Been to terryland a couple of times to cheer on KCFC (back when I still gave a sh*t!), nice ground, the fans are great, all seemed to be out for a good evening watching the game, good crack and the chants were hillarious (even if directed against my team!).

Would recommend it to anyone to start out their Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Playing Bray tonight and they could do with all the support they can get.Only a lousy 1000 turned up for the Pats game,finally prompting Nick to actually plead for some more local (and financial) support. I know its not great weather(as I type ,the clouds are breaking) for a match, but its an opportunity to have a look at your local team and try something different on a Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Playing Bray tonight and they could do with all the support they can get.Only a lousy 1000 turned up for the Pats game,finally prompting Nick to actually plead for some more local (and financial) support. I know its not great weather(as I type ,the clouds are breaking) for a match, but its an opportunity to have a look at your local team and try something different on a Friday night.
    Kick off is 7:45 :)

We won 3-0 tonight. 3 Great goals, highlights to follow.

Say what you like about the quality of LOI football, but you won't find 3 better goals scored anywhere this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Say what you like about the quality of LOI football, but you won't find 3 better goals scored anywhere this weekend.

I couldn't make it tonight, a decent crowd i hope.

Nope. looked like the smallest crowd for a league game this season. I'd be surprised if it broke 1000.Pity, cos the weather was perfect and you had 2 young squads doing there best to play entertaining football. Sloppy at times, but it was a good, honest and open game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hopefully the good result will get more people into Terryland for next time.:)

galwayrush wrote: »
    I couldn't make it tonight, a decent crowd i hope.
    827. Terrible crowd. No exuses, the weather was fine, great day for a great game of football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GalwayCityGirl

lavaghball wrote: »
    Just wondering what the public opinion on League of Ireland soccer is? As a frequenter of Terryland Park i find it astonishing that a city of over 75 thousand people, plus however many live in the county, can only attract a crowd of 1,400 max for home games.
    Is it the Friday kickoff that people dont fancy or is Galway too much of a GAA town?

I hear Gal Utd are about to go bust, huge debts all around the city. Maybe they owe all the supporters and they are not showing up now to games in protest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I hear Gal Utd are about to go bust, huge debts all around the city. Maybe they owe all the supporters and they are not showing up now to games in protest!!

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Good to see Galway doing well on the Pitch, always enjoyed my visits to Terryland, sadly visits to Terryland these days are to play Mervue :(

Two cracking goals for Galway as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Please enlighten us on the source of your information or kindly retract your comments.

My sources lead me to believe that we are in a better position financially than last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bohemians are in a worse financial state than Galway United

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm open to correction on this but as I recall when the Premier League places were being assigned to clubs a couple of years ago weren't Galway Utd praised for having their finances in order? I strongly doubt things have deteriorated that much since then. This was around the time that guy from Dundalk (I think) threatened to set himself on fire in the FAI headquarters. See here for more on that story.

Also, thanks to Foxx92 for posting up the YouTube highlights from Friday's game!

derry.jpg

GUFC will be playing Derry City tomorrow night @ 7.45.
    Volunteers will be around the streets of the city tomorrow afternoon promoting the game, handing out flyers. There has also been a special effort to put up as many road signs as possible. Hopefully this match will attract a large crowd, excellent weather predicted, quality opposition and a lot of tourists around the city. If your free by all means make your way to Terryland tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great chance to have a good attendance for once. C'mon United

• Advertisement

Coronas are on Friday AFAIK

EDIT: Just seen you edited your post

derry.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement