Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The day-to-day operations (everything really) of Galway United is now being run by the Galway United Supporters Trust, without the interference of the board of directors.

The fact that McEvaddy has left the country isn't news exactly.

Also, director or not, just like the other directors, to my knowledge, they have little to do with the club now, other than liability for the debts the fools ran up while they were in charge.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Support your local club!
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The day-to-day operations (everything really) of Galway United is now being run by the Galway United Supporters Trust, without the interference of the board of directors.

The fact that McEvaddy has left the country isn't news exactly.

Also, director or not, just like the other directors, to my knowledge, they have little to do with the club now, other than liability for the debts the fools ran up while they were in charge.

:rolleyes:
    Odd that they allow themselves to continue to be listed as directors despite having no hand in the running of the club, there's been some recent judgments that go against the classic "puppet director" stuffing out a board. McEvaddy potentially having a restriction slapped upon him might be another problem.

More power to the GUST though, they seem to be on top of things and moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

1-1 tonight in Drogheda, Sean Kelly equalised in the second half.

Report on www.galwayunitedfc.ie.

Next home match vs Derry City on Friday, April 15th. KO 7.45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

There was a letter from the management committee in the Independent yesterday and the Advertiser today.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/letters/letters/reclaim-the-dyke/

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/38670/galway-united-looks-to-a-bright-future

Dear Editor,

We, the Management Committee of Galway United Football Club, would like to express our heartfelt appreciation to those people of Galway city, county and beyond, who have put their shoulders solidly to our wheel during these early weeks of the League of Ireland season.

Our management committee is composed of supporters with experience and commitment, with passion and with energy. We are drawn from a wide range of backgrounds.

When the club was battling to regain its Premier Division status, during those uncertain pre season days, the messages of support, which flowed in from within and beyond the football community, heartened and encouraged us. Now that our feet are back on the ground, we are looking forward with confidence.

Since 1937, many obstacles have been faced and overcome. Why should we fight to keep the Galway United of this era alive? Because we look to the beginning, to Galway Rovers, the people's club, for our inspiration. We recognise the development of Terryland, which took place hand-in-hand with Galway and District Leagues. We salute those who have gone before us; we carry on.

The desire of persons like Ronan Coleman and Tommy Shields is one this entire committee shares. We are determined to maintain GUFC in the Premier League and to ensure that the club will be in a position to enable the manager to build a squad to the highest level. The notion of Galway United being a people's club, "club an phobail", is at the centre of the work of this committee. Our task is to convince the people of our city and county that Galway United can and will continue to make a huge contribution to sporting and cultural life.

It is not fanciful to refer to Bayern, Barcelona and, indeed, Shamrock Rovers in this letter. These three clubs rejoice in ownership by the fans. Our regeneration will be copper-fastened by the same principles. What would frustrate us in following the Tallaght club's lead would be a failure of belief in ourselves. What will inspire us is the determination to make United a greater part of Galway's sporting story.

Club president Michael D. Higgins has urged people to "reclaim the Dyke". The sight of families walking, cycling or motoring to Terryland can again become a fortnightly feature of Galway life.

Our bright and shining city and county have borne their share of economic setbacks. It is especially important at this time, to pay tribute to the members of the business community who have supported GUFC over the years. Important too, to welcome the 'Maroon Army' fan base support scheme, which offers supporters a most practical method of rallying behind GUFC.

The club is encouraged by the much-improved crowds, which have attended our early home games. United's near demise, coupled with our new organisational structures, have served to galvanise the public's attention. We are mindful of the wisdom of veteran Galway Rovers stalwart Fred Bray's address to the Galway United Supporters Trust meeting, where he reminded us that attendances would be critical to the club's immediate future.

As a management committee, we have honoured our promise to meet supporters in the coming weeks to review progress to date. Our response to Galway United's difficulties will continue to be measured and will be marked by enthusiasm and openness, by a keenness to reach out the hand of welcome to our schools, our arts community, to all our partners in this enterprise.

When Galway United is resourced and enjoys the best of relations with the Galway football family, we will begin to consider ourselves to have been successful. Mar a deireann an gaeilge, 'De réir a chéile a thógtar na caisleáin.' The squad and manager are already making strides; the supporters, heartbeat of the club, are keeping pace. Terryland Park looks smashing. Our western sky is brightening and Derry is coming to town. 'Nuff said.

Sincerely,

Chairperson David Flaherty,

Secretary Ronan Coleman,

Treasurer Sean Dunleavy

Committee Members: Mike Daly, Máirtín Ó Mocháin, William Furey, Seán Flaherty, Vincent O'Connor Jnr, Tommy Shields, Pat Burke, John Flannery, Bert O'Leary, Morgan O'Brien, Sean Rafferty, Jerry O'Leary, Liam Glynn and Noel Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Big game in Terryland Friday night 7:45pm, Derry City the visitors, hopefully we can get our first three home points of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Assuming I get out of work in time I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and head along to Terryland for the match. Where's the handiest place to park? The last time I went I used the Black Box carpark.

Malice wrote: »
    Where's the handiest place to park? The last time I went I used the Black Box carpark.
    The Black Box. Unless you plan on being in Terryland very early it is the best place.

The Black Box. Unless you plan on being in Terryland very early it is the best place.
    No, doubtless I'll be tearing in from work to catch the kick-off so I'll aim for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

...and besides I've seen quite a few 'garryowens' in Terryland go out into the car park and was glad my car wasn't under them :D

Can't make it over tonight due to work - best of luck to the team

Seven Worlds will Collide

United 1 Derry 4.

Next home match is versus Shamrock Rovers on Friday 29th April (KO 7.35pm).

• Advertisement

So I made it to the game in the end with plenty of time to spare. I thought I'd post up my thoughts here. My first thought upon entering the ground was that the pitch looked in very good nick. I know it's early in the season but it was still pleasant to see a well-maintained flat green carpet. My second thought was to curse the nearest chip van for planting the idea to grab some greasy goodness into my head :).

As for the game itself, the quality of the football was better than I was expecting. It was a good night for soccer with the weather being mostly dry with very little wind. Neither team resorted to the stereotypical hoofball too often.

Galway started brightly but were letting Derry have a lot of the ball without really pressing them. Derry scored late in the first half and were dominating at that stage. They made it 2:0 early in the second half and at that stage I thought Galway might get hammered out of sight. There was some brief respite when the Galway number 7 (Ryan I think) scored a cracking goal but sadly Derry scored a belter of a third goal themselves not long afterwards which put any thoughts of a fightback to bed.

It finished 4:1 and the score didn't really flatter Derry. There was one chance near the end for Galway which hit the bar but all in all Galway were very much second best.

It wasn't all doom and gloom. The late Galway sub showed some very neat touches and a willingness to run at defenders which was great to see.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but if anyone's reading this and hasn't gone to Terryland or refuses to go on account of the poor quality football then I'd urge you to reconsider and pop along for a look.

Sadly the attendance was down 1000 :eek: on the last game.

Sligo did bring more fans but you're still talking 700-800, and there's no way they were all in the sports ground watching a team who have nothing to play for themselves.

Do people not realise that we could improve the squad in July if we keep getting the numbers?... yes it's annoying as hell watching defeats(Connacht can't say 2000 fans for half a season would result in a budget that could challenge for the Magners) but it's simple logistics in LOI

Fans>revenue>improvement :(

As for the game itself, the quality of the football was better than I was expecting. It was a good night for soccer with the weather being mostly dry with very little wind. Neither team resorted to the stereotypical hoofball too often.
    I'm happy you say that, as I wasn't particularly impressed. I would expect better. Hopefully we can have a good game in Bray next Friday, get a result and go all guns blazing into the Shamrock Rovers game in two weeks.

It will be tough, but hopefully the right attitude they can put it up to them and we'll have a cracking game to watch.

I'm happy you say that, as I wasn't particularly impressed.
    Well as a Liverpool fan who travels regularly to Anfield (which I may have already mentioned on this thread :p) I'm well used to having low expectations when it comes to watching football live as opposed to on television :).
    Seriously though, did the third and fourth goals not impress you? They looked pretty spectacular from where I was sitting.

Seriously though, did the third and fourth goals not impress you? They looked pretty spectacular from where I was sitting.
    I only saw patches of the game and didn't see the last 2 goals properly. I'm going on what I saw and the opinions of a few people I trust to give a fair reflection of the match.

I just mean that it was below what you might call the average standard of what we'd expect for Galway in any case. Don't get me wrong, there were some good performances for us.

I only saw patches of the game
    Yeah I noticed that alright, you didn't even stop to say hello to me :p

Yeah I noticed that alright, you didn't even stop to say hello to me :p
    Hundreds of people that I recognise come to Terryland every 2 weeks.

I put it to the jury that, you sir, did not say hello to me. :D

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it and I hope to see you back in two weeks.

Hundreds of people that I recognise come to Terryland every 2 weeks.

I put it to the jury that, you sir, did not say hello to me. :D
    I was sat at the front of the stand just behind and to the right of the Galway bench. You walked past where I was sitting at half time. You did a nice shimmy into the row behind me just as I waved to you.
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed it and I hope to see you back in two weeks.
    Well I've knocked the Mervue soccer on the head so I don't have much of an excuse not to go any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I was sat at the front of the stand just behind and to the right of the Galway bench

Hey ! I usually sit around there - hope you didn't take MY seat :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Hey ! I usually sit around there - hope you didn't take MY seat :D
    Well me and the two lads I was with had the row to ourselves so I don't think we'll have to fight over seats the next time.

• Advertisement

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/ticket-stand-eyre-square-shopping-centre
    Ticket Stand - Eyre Square Shopping Centre

Galway United will have a stand in the Eyre Square Shopping Centre over the Easter weekend, starting from Thursday 21st April (11.00am). Match tickets for Shamrock Rovers (Friday 29th April) will be on sale, with "Maroon Army" and season ticket forms also available.

The stand will be upstairs, across from Burger King.

205775_10150155195917470_87293542469_6968429_7042268_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

I was sat at the front of the stand just behind and to the right of the Galway bench. You walked past where I was sitting at half time. You did a nice shimmy into the row behind me just as I waved to you.

Well I've knocked the Mervue soccer on the head so I don't have much of an excuse not to go any more.

next time just talk to each other

T2daK wrote: »
    next time just talk to each other
    Thank you for that sterling contribution to the thread. Have you any other advice for me?

The Goalpost Bar, Woodquay, is the Galway United official pub sponsor for 2011. All United and Rovers supporters welcome to the Goalpost before and after Friday evenings match.

Thank you for that sterling contribution to the thread. Have you any other advice for me?

Didn't know you were looking for advice all I saw was ye giving diggs that people wouldn't talk to each other :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

T2daK, cop on.

T2daK wrote: »
    Didn't know you were looking for advice all I saw was ye giving diggs that people wouldn't talk to each other :p
    I wasn't giving digs at all. Shocking as it may seem I've actually known civis_liberalis for a few years in real life. I would hope that not every post I make has to have emoticons added to it to ensure that readers understand I'm not arguing with them or having digs. Just in case:

civis_liberalis: I will make sure to say hello to you if I see you on Friday (and you don't avoid me again :p)
    CrowdedHouse: We won't fight over the seats this Friday either okay? :)

Now hopefully that's cleared it up...

I wasn't giving digs at all. Shocking as it may seem I've actually known civis_liberalis for a few years in real life. I would hope that not every post I make has to have emoticons added to it to ensure that readers understand I'm not arguing with them or having digs. Just in case:

civis_liberalis: I will make sure to say hello to you if I see you on Friday (and you don't avoid me again :p)
    CrowdedHouse: We won't fight over the seats this Friday either okay? :)

Now hopefully that's cleared it up...

Could ye not find batter ways to talk to each other so, this isn't msn messenger or facebook ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Heading to this match - first in ages. Its predicted to be nice weather also

ben.schlomo, that you RJ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement