Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

PM sent to Inchicore Dude.

Galway United invite all members of junior and juvenile clubs in the city and county to Terryland Park this Thursday evening for the Premier Divsion match versus Drogheda United (KO 7.45pm).

Wear your club jersey, tracksuit or jacket to avail of a once-off €5 admission fee. For further information, visit www.galwayunitedfc.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

El Mullo wrote: »
    PM sent to Inchicore Dude.

Galway United invite all members of junior and juvenile clubs in the city and county to Terryland Park this Thursday evening for the Premier Divsion match versus Drogheda United (KO 7.45pm).

Wear your club jersey, tracksuit or jacket to avail of a once-off €5 admission fee. For further information, visit www.galwayunitedfc.ie.
    great idea Mullo, hopefully the local media will give it good coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Now this is an excellent idea; there has been a reduction of colour in all sports in Ireland (Perhaps except for rugby) during the last few years. Anything that could be done to improve the atmosphere in this regard has to be considered a good thing. And it great to see Galway United come up with initatives like this.

Whether it proves a success or not, Galway United should be seen to be pursuing innovative ideas like this

Great response so far from local junior and juvenile clubs.

Gates open on Thursday evening at 7.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

:mad: I'm getting this off the Galway Utd site:
    Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

I see from here that Galway lost again. Does anyone know what the game was like? Is the report below accurate?
    DROGHEDA UNITED delivered a defiant display to claim their first win of the campaign which moves them off the bottom of the table.

Galway, who have now lost eight games on the spin, failed to build on a positive start as they were caught out by Drogheda's passion after the break.

Drogheda boss Mick Cooke opted for a five man midfield as the visitors were keen to remain safe and solid in the early exchanges.

Galway, though, fielding their strongest XI in over a month sought to get the ball out wide to Bobby Ryan and Karl Moore at the windswept Corribside venue.

With Alan Murphy operating alongside the willing Mikey Gilmore Galway wanted to pose questions of Drogheda's defence.

A clever set piece routine in the 15th minute saw Galway craft an opportunity as Gilmore and Moore combined before Stephen Walsh's header was saved by Steven Trimble.

Moments later Murphy flashed the ball across the Drogs goal as the visitors survived the scare.

But Drogheda came within a whisker of pinching a 20th minute advantage as Galway custodian Greg Fleming reacted quickly to save Mark O'Brien's deflected effort.

Galway responded by netting an opportunistic goal one minute later as Gilmore was sufficiently composed to score following a Shane Keogh delivery.

After the restart Galway were on the front foot as midfielder Gary Kelly drilled wide from 20 yards in the 54th minute.

Seconds later a cute Kelly pass found substitute Enda Curran, whose attempted chip just over as Galway were anxious to inflict further damage.

Drogheda could have levelled on the hour mark, but Fleming made a decent save from Darragh McNamara, who made a headed connection with a Colin O'Brien cross.

The visitors did restore parity on 63 as McNamara pulled the ball back for replacement Darragh Hannaphy, who rattled the Galway net from close range.

Full-back O'Brien created the winner for brother Mark when he fired in a free kick in the 67th minute and midfielder Mark O'Brien reacted first to fire home at the second attempt.

Galway went close in stoppage time, but Trimble saved a Shaun Maher headed as Drogheda held on for a critical triumph.

• Advertisement

completely accurate, fails to mention how much we fell apart though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

completely accurate, fails to mention how much we fell apart though.
    It isn't completely accurate. We've lost 9 in a row, not 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

How low can United go? Strangely, they have a good manager; something has to give. I'd say he will dump 4 or 5 players when the window opens in July and draft in a new bunch.

That keeper Flemming can be woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Strangely, they have a good manager; something has to give.

I'm not so sure about that........

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I think reality is beginning to dawn on GUST now. There isn't enough money, the players aren't good enough, and they have been awful unlucky with injuries, but any team which had a clearout like United's at the end of last season would be bound to struggle.

Thursday was one of the most depressing nights I've had at Terryland in years. Once Alan Murphy went off injured, there was no leadership on the field. This was the most important game of the year and they blew it, big time.

There is going to have to be a major overhaul or restructuring and don't forget that Connacht will be in the Heineken Cup next season, which means Terryland will be deserted if the games clash.

Also, I still think it's crazy that Galway has three teams in the LOI, when United are so clearly struggling to survive.

But then again the flutes in the FAI moved last week's game from Friday to Thursday because of some absolutely meaningless game in Dublin that was of no interest to Galway fans. And the crowd was probably down 400 to 500 as a result. Soccer in this country is run by idiots.

Tough times.

• Advertisement

United take on Derry City at the Brandywell this evening. KO 7.45pm.

celty wrote: »
    I think reality is beginning to dawn on GUST now. There isn't enough money, the players aren't good enough, and they have been awful unlucky with injuries, but any team which had a clearout like United's at the end of last season would be bound to struggle.
    The team needs another clear-out, starting with their obscenely overpaid, arrogant and untrustworthy manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The team needs another clear-out, starting with their obscenely overpaid, arrogant and untrustworthy manager.
    :eek: Is he really that bad?

I thought the manager did alright to keep them up on a miniscule budget last year, after yet another clearout of players.

I'd imagine any manager in the country would struggle after being forced to lose virtually an entire squad in the close season.

I'm not close enough to the scene to know what his personality is like, but this really is crisis time for United - who lost 6-0 in Derry tonight.

The Drogheda game was the most important of the season, and they blew it. Confidence seems to be at an all time low. Something has to be done if this is not to be the worst ever season in the history of the club.

There seemed to be a bit of goodwill around the place when the fans took over, but if they keep losing so badly there willl be very few left in Terryland. Last Thursday was as depressing as it gets really.

I thought the manager did alright to keep them up on a miniscule budget last year
    At least 2 teams in the division have smaller playing budgets than Galway United this season.

FAI Cup 3rd round this weekend.

United take on Dundalk at Oriel Park on Sunday, KO 3.00pm. GUST will be running a bus to the match, departing from Pillo Hotel, Headford Road at 10.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Best of luck to former United goalkeeper David Forde, who makes his full Ireland debut tonight against Italy in Liege.

Best of luck to former United goalkeeper David Forde, who makes his full Ireland debut tonight against Italy in Liege.
    +1

Great win for Ireland, well done Fordey !

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Since Galway United returned to the Premier Division in 2007, they have played 77 league games in Terryland Park. They've only won 18 of those games, have drawn 21 and have lost 38. Simply shocking home record.

• Advertisement

We have won or drawn more than we have lost - I'd hardly call that shocking !

Also, we are in our fifth consecutive season in the Premier Division, must be doing something right.

El Mullo,

I'd love some of your 'positivity pills'. If we must be doing something right, how come all the players were cleared out over two consecutive seasons? How come the fans felt a need to take over the club from the former Board at the end of last season? Even though the fans don't have cash to inject into the club? How come we are bottom of the League? How come attendances are so paltry ... and slipping? How come Galway has three teams in the League of Ireland when one doesn't look sustainable? How come most 'soccer fans' in Galway 'follow' Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal from the bar stools but never check out a real, live game?

By all means I want United to stay up and survive, but the future looks grim right now. Bottom of the league with a threadbare squad. I was totally depressed after the home game against Drogheda. I really hope the lads can turn it around, but not from what I saw that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

He said we were doing something right, not everything :D

In fairness before this season things were going okay, it wasn't until the damage done by the previous board was fully revealed that things went tits up and we found ourselves in the horrible situation we are in now.

We are more than likely going down but we need to stick with the team and piece ourselves together for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

If we must be doing something right, how come all the players were cleared out over two consecutive seasons?
    Players in the LOI have one year contracts. It's the same across the board. Most players who do well here will move on to someone who will pay them more (They can usually pay them more because they get bigger crowds.), or onto a higher level like Seamus Conneely or Jay O'Shea.
    How come the fans felt a need to take over the club from the former Board at the end of last season? Even though the fans don't have cash to inject into the club?
    Having a fan run club is the way forward IMO. Look at Shamrock Rovers, Cork City, Barcelona (:p). The previous regime was running the club into the ground, they were not "injecting cash into the club".
    How come we are bottom of the League?
    Because the financial mess the fan inherited from the previous regime means the club cannot afford better players. We're still level on points with Drogheda and only need one more point than them between now and the end of the season to ensure we stay up (only last place goes into a play off this season).
    How come attendances are so paltry ... and slipping?
    Because the team are bottom of the league.
    How come Galway has three teams in the League of Ireland when one doesn't look sustainable?
    Ask the FAI.
    How come most 'soccer fans' in Galway 'follow' Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal from the bar stools but never check out a real, live game?
    That's hardly Galway United's fault. It's a national phenomenon and has been for decades. It is hugely frustrating though.

Nugget89 wrote: »
    In fairness before this season things were going okay, it wasn't until the damage done by the previous board was fully revealed that things went tits up and we found ourselves in the horrible situation we are in now.
    On the pitch, yes. Off the pitch, things were going far from okay. The long term future is brighter now than it was six months ago IMO.

Lost 3-0 to Bray in Terryland this evening.

Next home match Tuesday 21st June vs St Patricks Athletic.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

All Premier Division teams have played in Terryland Park this season. 1 point out of a possible 27 taken by Galway United. Just 2 goals scored and 19 conceded.

traecy1 wrote: »
    All Premier Division teams have played in Terryland Park this season. 1 point out of a possible 27 taken by Galway United. Just 2 goals scored and 19 conceded.
    And.......? I think we all know that already.

GUST will be hosting a historical walking tour of Galway next Sunday, June 19th. This unique fundraiser is open to all, pre-booking essential. A donation of €10 to Galway United is requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Galway United FC Jacket 75% off original price of €60 which is €15

I bought mine in the shop for €15 even though the labels said €19.99. Better than online as it will cost you delivery. It was mostly medium's left but there was loads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Could probably buy the club for that !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement