Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Good man :rolleyes:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

celty wrote: »
    Is it not stating the obvious to say that the team won't be in the Premier Divison next season?
    Absolutely not. The club are in survival mode and are cutting any cost that isn't absolutely necessary. It is entirely possible that the club could get relegated, but it would mean losing a one-legged playoff with home advantage against the third placed team from the First Division.

Sean Connor will be doing his utmost to do some deals to get players in that are looking for experience and or get in the shop window.
    The team has been on its worst run in history (?), morale is at an all-time low
    True, but the management committee never expected a smooth ride.

Even in these difficult circumstances I am able to look towards the positives. Perspective is needed. I was 100% certain the club was dead in February.
    and reality just seems to be hitting the well-meaning fans who took over the club during the off-season.
    Please read in it's place - Experienced business people, accountants, legal professionals etc and many other volunteers with a talents in different areas who have done an excellent job keeping it going thus far. Granted a couple of mistakes have been made along the way, but they are more than equipped to do whatever is required of them, as long they are given the support needed.
    The LOI is a shambles, and a city which can't sustain one club ends up having three in the League.
    Please join us in addressing your sarcastically intended Christmas card to Mr. John Delaney, The Football Association of Ireland, Abbotstown, Dublin 15 to "thank" him.
    It was sad to see people collecting for United in town yesterday, as though it was some form of charity.
    Not the first club to do it (not from Galway even) and certainly not the last.
    I really hope the club survives, but right now it's looking bleak. Who could blame the players for losing concentration or heart when they are all offered for sale half-way through the season?
    The players who are receiving wages on top of expenses are the only ones that need worry, as far as I know. The club just can afford them. They are big boys, who failed largely to stand up and be counted when they were needed most.
    There could be three Galway teams in the First Divison next season IF United (a club without a home or decent underage structure) even manages to survive.
    The previous administrations since the start of the last decade engineered a situation where there were no underage teams deliberately in the "knowledge" that is was only a drain and was not needed by a club such as Galway. Absolute disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Complete bs.

What the club are doing now, releasing players, further reducing costs, is putting the club in a good position to satisfy the licence criteria, just as they did for this year also.

The problem the club had in securing the licence first time around this year was the doing of the idiots in the FAI.

Edit: big typo

they won't have a big enough budget and after this seasons craic with finance no way they'll get it.

they said the last day their only concern for next season is to get an 'airtricity league license"

You know that for a fact, do you?

they won't have a big enough budget and after this seasons craic with finance no way they'll get it.

they said the last day their only concern for next season is to get an 'airtricity league license"

galwayrush wrote: »
    Fact? I didn't realise such decisions were made this early in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

galway are **** enuf arent they. fkin embarassing. can iv a refund on my season ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The Junior cert must be over is it ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

if we sell all our players. what kind of squad will we be left with?

the junior cert??? think ur in the wrong thread here mate.

The Junior cert must be over is it ?

come again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Some complete nonsense being posted in this thread.

Shane St. wrote: »
    if we sell all our players. what kind of squad will we be left with?

The players who were made available are the players at the club who have professional contracts. There are only 10 or 11 of these. They will only be leaving if they find another club to take them. Considering they have largely underperformed and the financial reality of most clubs in the country, I doubt clubs will be interested in most of them.

It would be no harm, in my opinion, if most of these players left anyway. We'd be better off with a locally-based team training together regularly and the wage bill would be reduced significantly. The few players who have shown some promise this season are young local players. The likes of Mikey Gilmore, Stephen Walsh, Eduardo Dusi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The few players who have shown some promise this season are young local players. The likes of Mikey Gilmore, Stephen Walsh, Eduardo Dusi.

Local me hole? Walsh is a real Dublin name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

galway are **** enuf arent they. fkin embarassing. can iv a refund on my season ticket

If it were my choice, I'd give you a refund.

The Club needs support now. No point kicking them when they are down.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Local me hole? Walsh is a real Dublin name.

I'm going to presume you're joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good positive uplifting post. Just the kind of people the club do not need right now, glad you wont be getting your refund. Everyone knew of our situation financially at the start of the season, if you weren't intelligent enough to understand it and thought we would be fighting for Europe then more fool you.

T2daK wrote: »

You dont have to have a big budget to be in the Premier, you simply need to meet the licensing criteria, such as tax situations, outstanding payments etc.

Here you go.

http://www.fai.ie/images/stories/2011_FAI_Club_Licensing_Manual.pdf

You dont have to have a big budget to be in the Premier, you simply need to meet the licensing criteria, such as tax situations, outstanding payments etc.

is there not a rule saying a s*** team may not be entered

Good positive uplifting post. Just the kind of people the club do not need right now, glad you wont be getting your refund. Everyone knew of our situation financially at the start of the season, if you weren't intelligent enough to understand it and thought we would be fighting for Europe then more fool you.

well the club wont get getting ANY people now haaaa

well the club wont get getting ANY people now haaaa
    Oh no really? Are you sure they wont 'get getting ANY people', now that is bad news. Good to know your posts dont go above a certain level of maturity or intellect at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

T2daK, you're just trolling - don't post in this thread again.

thats all well and good. but iv been to every home game since for 13 years. and im just sick of us gettin humiliated every week. its hard to take

thats all well and good. but iv been to every home game since for 13 years. and im just sick of us gettin humiliated every week. its hard to take
    I've been going for the last 24 years and i've seen the good times like FAI Cup final in 91, the League Cup winning day down in Turners cross 96 etc etc and i've seen the lowest days like now. It ain't easy going up each game and seeing us lose but thats what you get as a fan of a sports team, ups and downs, they are part and parcel of it. Hopefully we can survive financially and begin to rise again, if you are not willing to last the time taken then fair enough but no need for your negative childish posts.

biko wrote: »
    T2daK, you're just trolling - don't post in this thread again.

i was just responding to each person individually

I've been going for the last 24 years and i've seen the good times like FAI Cup final in 91, the League Cup winning day down in Turners cross 96 etc etc and i've seen the lowest days like now. It ain't easy going up each game and seeing us lose but thats what you get as a fan of a sports team, ups and downs, they are part and parcel of it. Hopefully we can survive financially and begin to rise again, if you are not willing to last the time taken then fair enough but no need for your negative childish posts.

he supports manchester united say no more man!!

Oh no really? Are you sure they wont 'get getting ANY people', now that is bad news. Good to know your posts dont go above a certain level of maturity or intellect at least.

well you know what I mean! attendances are way down. it sounds like im being ignorant, but if galway citizens cared about galway united they would spend the money to pay the wages. it's like the airport. if people care about it enough it's future wouldn't ever be in doubt. good times or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

well you know what I mean! attendances are way down. it sounds like im being ignorant, but if galway citizens cared about galway united they would spend the money to pay the wages. it's like the airport. if people care about it enough it's future wouldn't ever be in doubt. good times or bad

Exactly, so let's be positive and get behind the team.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

T2daK banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Being a regular for many years surely you must have an idea of the damage left after the lunacy of the last five years?

We are lucky to have a club. Not that any of us are content with that. The measures that are being taken now are to ensure that at some time in the near future we can put some sort of a decent team together and not have to worry about whether or not the money will be there to pay they every couple of weeks.

There is money there to be got, from gates, sponsorship, fundraising etc, but at the moment a massive chunk of it goes towards repaying creditors. This will not change any time soon, but as time passes hopefully the strain it puts on the whole operation can be lessened somewhat. This won't happen overnight. It will take many years to truly repair the damage of the last five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Being a regular for many years surely you must have an idea of the damage left after the lunacy of the last five years?

We are lucky to have a club. Not that any of us are content with that. The measures that are being taken now are to ensure that at some time in the near future we can put some sort of a decent team together and not have to worry about whether or not the money will be there to pay they every couple of weeks.

There is money there to be got, from gates, sponsorship, fundraising etc, but at the moment a massive chunk of it goes towards repaying creditors. This will not change any time soon, but as time passes hopefully the strain it puts on the whole operation can be lessened somewhat. This won't happen overnight. It will take many years to truly repair the damage of the last five years.

I keep hearing this kind of stuff on here, but I don't think the message has gotten through to the ordinary decent sport fans in Galway. I'm a season ticket holder but haven't been able to bring myself to attend since the shambles which was the defeat to Drogheda at home.

What really did go on over the last five years? I haven't been told how bad things are during my trips up the Dyke Road. All I know is that the team is bottom of the League, on its worst run in history, and there's no money to pay players.

The message is not really getting through about how bad things were, or what significant improvements (if any) have been made since GUST took over. All I can see is that there seems to be a mass clearout of players every season these days and now mid-season as well, if anyone actually wanted the players.

People might be more sympathetic if it was made public how the club was allegedly mis-managed in the recent past.

But I'd rather give my money to a genuine charity than GUFC when I see people collecting with buckets in the city centre. These are tough times for everyone. Sorry guys!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement