Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Next home match for Galway United is on Friday evening vs Derry City, KO 7.45pm.

Teams competing in the Umbro Cup can get a group rate (including adult members) of €100. Please send an e-mail to info@galwayunitedfc.ie or call into Terryland Park for further details.

Match tickets are on sale from O'Briens Newsagents, William Street, and from Terryland Park. Adult tickets cost €12 each or two for €20. Concession tickets are on sale at €10, secondary school students €5. U12s are free of charge if accompanied. Family tickets (two adults and up to two secondary school students) are also on sale at just €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Galway United have signed Laurence Gaughan (21). The 6'2 central defender is a former Republic of Ireland under 19 international. His former clubs include Oxford United, Glasgow Celtic, Liverpool and Sheffield United. Gaughan is expected to be included in the Galway United squad for the visit of Derry City to Terryland Park on Friday night, KO 7.45PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

El Mullo wrote: »
    Tickets for the Knights of Leon/Prospect Avenue concert are now on sale from the club office at Terryland Park, from O'Briens Newsagents, William Street, and from the Town Hall Theatre.

The concert will be held at the Black Box on Friday August 20th. Tickets €10 - all proceeds to Galway United.

Has anybody any more info on the concert?

Saturday is the 20th, not Friday, which day is it on?

Also, is there a bar in Black Box for the gig? As I'm trying to drag a rake of people along to it, and that'll be a big deciding factor :D

Col200sx wrote: »

Also, is there a bar in Black Box for the gig? As I'm trying to drag a rake of people along to it, and that'll be a big deciding factor :D

It's on on Saturday the 20th.

I presume there will be a bar.

United signed Victor Collins from Salthill Devon today.

Col200sx wrote: »

There are bar facilities in there anyway. So doubt they'd pass up on opening it.

• Advertisement

Saturday 20th August, Black Box, 8.00pm. There will definitely be a full bar !

Tickets on sale from the club office at Terryland Park, O'Briens Newsagents, William Street, and the Town Hall Theatre.

Tickets will also be on sale at this evenings match versus Derry City (KO 7.45pm).

Tickets for the concert in the Black Box (Saturday August 20th) and the Poker Classic (Saturday August 13th) will be on sale in Shop Street today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How was the match yesterday? I caught the result, just curious how the team played.

Malice wrote: »
    How was the match yesterday? I caught the result, just curious how the team played.

Not as bad as some recent matches, but we never looked remotely like scoring.

The new Korean winger seems like he could be decent. The Korean defender was suspended but will be back for next week. He's meant to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Not as bad as some recent matches, but we never looked remotely like scoring.
    I suppose that's a start. Sadly Galway Utd haven't looked like scoring for a while :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

Slightly off topic, but I notice Nick Leeson is on BBC Radio 4 tomorrow night in a show called "The Reunion" in which he comes face to face with his old employer in Barings bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

Slightly off topic, but I notice Nick Leeson is on BBC Radio 4 tomorrow night in a show called "The Reunion" in which he comes face to face with his old employer in Barings bank.

awkward

It's a pre-recorded programme. His "apology" has been reported in the last couple of days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/8684212/Nick-Leeson-tells-former-boss-Im-sorry.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14424926

I'm a lukewarm United fan try to get to the odd match but have stopped going and put the money against them on handicap in recent weeks. When you're jobless it's like printing money. Had them - 2 against Derry.

If this was any other country the team would have a chance of surviving easily at this level with such a local population. But our centuries of ties with the UK and their affairs (Epl) will never be severed; sorry to break the news Gerry Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Snacker wrote: »
    If this was any other country the team would have a chance of surviving easily at this level with such a local population.
    The club has the ability to do far more than survive at this level.

The current difficulties stem from well meaning idiots allowing a sociopath, infamous the world over for being untrustworthy, with a conviction for fraud on his CV, run Galway United into the ground... shafting anyone misfortunate enough to have had any dealings with him... destroying any goodwill built up in local business circles...

... leaving fans to pick up the pieces and do their best to carry out the very long-term project that is restoring the image of the club and take it back from the criminals and the well meaning idiots.

Due to Shamrock Rovers' participation in the Europa League play-offs, Galway United's next home match has been moved to Sunday 21st August. Kick off at 6.30pm.

The club has the ability to do far more than survive at this level.

The current difficulties stem from well meaning idiots allowing a sociopath, infamous the world over for being untrustworthy, with a conviction for fraud on his CV, run Galway United into the ground... shafting anyone misfortunate enough to have had any dealings with him... destroying any goodwill built up in local business circles...

... leaving fans to pick up the pieces and do their best to carry out the very long-term project that is restoring the image of the club and take it back from the criminals and the well meaning idiots.

are you saying he ruined the club? how?

are you saying he ruined the club? how?

Leeson? He ran up debts of well over €1,000,000, shafted countless local businesses that now want to have nothing to do with United, and alienated many supporters. As a parting shot just before he stepped down as CEO, he gave the manager a 3 year contract on above average wages, making it extremely difficult for him to be fired. Three year contracts are unheard of in the League of Ireland. He still has a claim in with the FAI licensing people for wages he is "owed" by GUFC, dating back to when he had sole control over the club. Those who appointed him (the "well meaning idiots") left him, the most notorious fraudster in the world, in total control of the club. There's no paper work or proof of any kind to back up his claim, but that doesn't bother the FAI.

There are other things Leeson "allegedly" did, but I won't get into those.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

Is there a management committee statement due this week

Leeson? He ran up debts of well over €1,000,000, shafted countless local businesses that now want to have nothing to do with United, and alienated many supporters. As a parting shot just before he stepped down as CEO, he gave the manager a 3 year contract on above average wages, making it extremely difficult for him to be fired. Three year contracts are unheard of in the League of Ireland. He still has a claim in with the FAI licensing people for wages he is "owed" by GUFC, dating back to when he had sole control over the club. Those who appointed him (the "well meaning idiots") left him, the most notorious fraudster in the world, in total control of the club. There's no paper work or proof of any kind to back up his claim, but that doesn't bother the FAI.

There are other things Leeson "allegedly" did, but I won't get into those.

How did he have full control do you mean he owned the club? Were they not in trouble before he took over? I'm assuming all this started from trying to go pro and backfiring?

• Advertisement

How did he have full control do you mean he owned the club? Were they not in trouble before he took over? I'm assuming all this started from trying to go pro and backfiring?

The board at the time appointed him as CEO and left him to run the club. None of the other board members had any input into the running of the club or supervised what Leeson was doing.

I'm not sure about the full situation at the club before Leeson was appointed, but the debt was definitely an awful lot smaller than it was when Leeson stepped down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That's some dereliction of their duties from the other board members, please tell me that they've all resigned over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Robbo wrote: »
    That's some dereliction of their duties from the other board members, please tell me that they've all resigned over this?
    No they are still there in the background, a good portion of the clubs debt is in the form of outstanding loans which these directors gave towards the running of the club.

Robbo wrote: »

Some of the directors who appointed Leeson have left since then, but they backed Leeson until the bitter end of his spell as CEO. The directors who remain still don't have anything to do with the running of the club, but most (all?) of them have personally guaranteed bank loans that the club took out while Leeson was in charge. It really is amazing how much Leeson pulled the wool over their eyes.

who are the board members or will i have to do my own research.

who are the board members or will i have to do my own research.

Colm Feeney and John McCormick are two of them. I'm not sure who else is still there.

Colm Feeney and John McCormick are two of them. I'm not sure who else is still there.

Micky D? I guess some won't want to resign they want to control the destiny of their 'money'. I think a lesson everyone needs to learn from the single person to the largest multinational company... loans are BAD NEWS unless you really are desperate or you are 110% sure of being able to pay it back.

Micky D? I guess some won't want to resign they want to control the destiny of their 'money'. I think a lesson everyone needs to learn from the single person to the largest multinational company... loans are BAD NEWS unless you really are desperate or you are 110% sure of being able to pay it back.

Michael D. Higgins? He's the President of the club, but it's just an honorary role.

Another lesson is that it's not a great idea to leave a convicted fraudster to run your company.

Michael D. Higgins? He's the President of the club, but it's just an honorary role.

Another lesson is that it's not a great idea to leave a convicted fraudster to run your company.

Ara sure if you have a billion at your disposal can be tempting to gamble to get more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Do Galway have a squad member with the number 88888. This may give a clue where some of the money went !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement