Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Working tommorrow.Was really looking forward to this game. Anyone know why they can't play Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Working tommorrow.Was really looking forward to this game. Anyone know why they can't play Saturday.
    Mervue are playing in Terryland on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Coronas are on Friday AFAIK

EDIT: Just seen you edited your post

derry.jpg

€15 for that muck....no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

*mono* wrote: »
    €15 for that muck....no thanks

I'd pay €15 no problem as long as I'm nowhere near the home support.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

My sources lead me to believe that we are in a better position financially than last year

I may stand corrected:
    Leeson highlights serious troubles ahead of FAI Cup opener

By KEITH KELLY

GALWAY United CEO Nick Leeson has this week highlighted the perilous financial state of the club as they prepare for tomorrow night’s Ford FAI Cup clash with Finn Harps in Ballybofey (kick-off 8 pm).

On the same day it was announced that Cristiano Ronaldo is set to move from Manchester United to Real Madrid for a mind-boggling fee of €94 million, Leeson confirmed yesterday that United took just €5,000 in gate receipts from their last two games, well short of the minimum €12,500 a week – €50,000 a month – required to cover the cost of running the club.

It is not just United who are struggling financially – a petition was lodged in the High Court last month seeking to wind up Cork City; Derry City have lost two of their sponsors; while Sligo Rovers were ‘outed’ as tax defaulters by Revenue this week, with an outstanding bill of €55,000 owed to the taxman.

While the city basked in the success of the Volvo Ocean Race stopover, hosting some of its biggest ever crowds, Galway United were attracting some of their lowest in recent times, a situation which has to be a threat to its very existence.

“It is unbelievably tough at the moment. We took only €2,500 on the gate for the game against Derry recently, a game which is usually a banker for between €12,000 and €13,000. We need that kind of money every week to cover ourselves, but we took only €5,000 in the month.

“To be honest, we are running on empty at the moment. We are always looking at the situation and trying to keep everything going, but without people going to games, supporting the club financially, it is very difficult to do that.

“We have sponsors who have been very good to us over the years and one or two of them are struggling to come up with money as well, what we need is people coming to games, we need to see that people want Premier Division football in Galway, as without that it would be very difficult to keep things going as they are,” he said.

A good Cup run will help financially, and while an away tie at Finn Park is by no means an easy task, even against a Finn Harps side struggling in tenth in the First Division, United should have plenty in the tank to make it through to the next round.

Basically the last two attendances have been the lowest since we entered the PD. It is also the highest league position we have been in since going into the PD. Grim days ahead for Utd supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

My sources lead me to believe that we are in a better position financially than last year
    I'd love to know your sources Foxx.

Seem to be really in the know. Jesus, I won't bother talking to Nick any more, I'll just ask you instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

lavaghball wrote: »
    Is it the Friday kickoff that people dont fancy or is Galway too much of a GAA town?

Whilst GAA is undoubtedly well supported, I don't think this should/would affect the crowds going to Terryland. The town is full of soccer fans! Not being big into soccer myself, GAA man, I don't really see why people wouldn't even give it a chance if they really enjoy soccer that much. I know guys that regularly go across the water to watch matches, but wouldn't go to a Galway United match... I suppose it comes down to a complete lack of interest in LOI?

I'd love to know your sources Foxx.

Seem to be really in the know. Jesus, I won't bother talking to Nick any more, I'll just ask you instead.
    http://galwayunitedfc.net/index.php?showtopic=1471&st=40

Last month at a fans forum Nick stated that we were in a better state financially than last year. This is due to the reduction in wage costs to make up for the shortage of support. When he said this the aveage attendance was only slightly down on last years average. However in the last month GUFC have had 3 of the lowest attendances I can remember. Only 872 showed up vs Bray and roughly 600-700 vs Derry and Drogheda. This is about half of what the expected attendance is. These attendances along with the fact that Utd only have 1 home match in June will lead to a difficulty.

I'm not in the know, i'm simply reading into whats written on Utd.

The bottom line of the problem is with nobody going to the games there will be no money and if this persists there will be no Galway United Football Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I see now that foxx's post was made a month ago, apologies.

For me, for what it's worth, I knew that this would happen at this time. Not having a home game for a month is just too much to bare.

Problems with monies owed from different types of sponsorship have made things worse.

I see now that foxx's post was made a month ago, apologies.
    No worries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

We're playing Cork City tonight (Friday July 3rd). Terryland, kick off 7:45.

From GalwayUnitedFC.ie:
    Mid-season Season Ticket

Thursday, 02 July 2009
    Half-season tickets, which allow entry to all League of Ireland matches for the remainder of the season, are now on sale at €99.

As there are nine home matches left, this works out at €11 per match.

Season tickets will be on sale outside the ground at Friday evenings match, and from the Galway United office at (091) 767336. Alternatively, call Ronan Coleman at (087) 6972823.

This is a great offer for those of you who are not season ticket holders. Take it up !

Also,
    Festival of Football - Special offer

United face two crucial Premier Division games at Terryland Park in July against Cork City and Dundalk, and will also welcome city native and former United keeper David Forde back to the venue when Millwall visit for a friendly.

The reduced ticket packages for these three games are available from the GUFC Terryland Park offices & at the turnstiles at the Cork City game on July 3rd. They can also be got by ringing Ronan Coleman at 087-6972823.

The price for the three matches is:

Adults €30 (A saving of €15)
    Children €10 (A saving of €5)
    Consessions €20 (A saving of €10)
    and a Family ticket €60 (A saving of €30)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

http://galwayunitedfc.net/index.php?showtopic=1471&st=40
    The bottom line of the problem is with nobody going to the games there will be no money and if this persists there will be no Galway United Football Club.

From what I've been heard it looks like jay o'shea is on the way out so that should keep us afloat financially for a while. May screw us up on the field though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

I'd be worried about the lack on interest in this thread.
    GUFC just isn't sexy - it's not cool to wear a GUFC shirt down Shop St.
    Saw someone wearing one today - almost rang the cops.
    Luckily he had the good sense to turn himself in! :D

EXCLUSIVE - UK consortium holds talks on United takeover

Thu 9th July 2009
    Talks still in early stages

x1_Nick_Leeson.jpg
    A GROUP of Manchester based businessmen are in discussions about a potential takeover bid for cash-strapped League of Ireland Premier Division side Galway United, the Connacht Tribune can exclusively reveal.
    Talks between United and the three men are still in the early stages, and details on the proposal are sketchy, but it is understood that the deal is the only viable option to keep United afloat at a time when it is losing thousands of euro a week due to a massive drop in gate receipts and advertising revenue, as well as an almost non-existent support from the corporate sector.
    The present United board has been fighting a continuing losing battle to get money into the club - the most recent scheme, a special three-ticket deal for the League games against Cork City and Dundalk and the friendly on Sunday week against Millwall at a cost of €30 was offered, a saving of €15. The club hoped for an uptake of around 3,000 tickets. Only seven tickets were sold.
    Some businessmen from Manchester attended a couple of games in Terryland last season, and talks began about a possible investment in, or takeover of, the club at that time. Those talks broke down, but speaking to the Connacht Tribune yesterday, United CEO Nick Leeson confirmed that talks had reopened
    from Tribune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

Why on earth would anyone want to buy that money pit of a club? Anyone who invests in a team in that league should be certified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

probably think they own the ground and it wud be nice for a hotel maybe
    tough **** for them cos the galway fa not utd own the ground......also heard the board of the galway district leagues is in the **** for it handed out 35,000 euro to utd from its sports council grants,

and on those members, who have been on that board for decades time to move on lads and maybe at sometime in the near future junveniles and juniors can laugh about the days of togging out by the side of wind and rain swept fields is it that ****in difficult to erect some shelters

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Presumably to become some sort of feeder club to UK clubs. Maybe discover a few good young players and sell them on.

I say good luck to them. Any local person giving out about lack of local players wont have a leg to stand on - only 7 of the 30 euro tickets sold!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

1. axiom32 wrote: »
      probably think they own the ground and it wud be nice for a hotel maybe
    tough **** for them cos the galway fa not utd own the ground......also heard the board of the galway district leagues is in the **** for it handed out 35,000 euro to utd from its sports council grants,

and on those members, who have been on that board for decades time to move on lads and maybe at sometime in the near future junveniles and juniors can laugh about the days of togging out by the side of wind and rain swept fields is it that ****in difficult to erect some shelters

No, Galway District League owns it.

The word is that they will use GUFC to give eastern european players a platform from which to launch them into english football.

• Advertisement

galway district leagues are run by the galway fa and i wasn't implying that galway utd owned the ground i know for a fact they don't

"The word is that they will use GUFC to give eastern european players a platform from which to launch them into english football"
    if thats true good luck to them getting any local support

axiom32 wrote: »
    if thats true good luck to them getting any local support

Why would this turn people off supporting Utd. If i'm not mistaken Chelsea got many, many more fans after their takeover. Also the 'local support' has been non-existant. There is excuse after excuse not to support and now they have another one!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The locals dont come out as it is from what I can see.

First they moan about facilities and clubs improve them, then they moan about the standard and clubs go full time and the quality among many clubs improves..

then they complain that the clubs arent in Europe and clubs stupidly go broke trying to get there

one common thing is they still stay away.. the great football loving nation of Ireland Olé O ****ing Lé.

Ronan - LTFC -

Why would this turn people off supporting Utd. If i'm not mistaken Chelsea got many, many more fans after their takeover. Also the 'local support' has been non-existant. There is excuse after excuse not to support and now they have another one!:rolleyes:

well if people wont go and watch a team with a interest in doing their best in keeping top level irish football in the city then why would they pay to see some unknowns using the team as a stepping stone to england .....and what happens when they get homesick or realise they just dont like playin for galway utd and get to thinkin they want to live in the big smoke ..next thing ya know where relegated cos the players didnt give a ****

by the way i do attend terryland as much as i can and the ground is one of the better ones and for a young manager with a young squad i think the football they try to play is commendable. They could play 11 behind the ball and be boring as **** but dont they try to attack and with that sometimes get caught on the counter and thats what makes it interesting

axiom32 wrote: »
    well if people wont go and watch a team with a interest in doing their best in keeping top level irish football in the city then why would they pay to see some unknowns using the team as a stepping stone to england

But thats why we're in this situation at the moment. There is so few people that ''go and watch a team with a interest in doing their best in keeping top level irish football in the city''. The takeover is almost a must now. Every week GUFC are falling further and further into debt and unless the Galway public show that they want a LOI team the takeover will be vital, and if that falls through I imagine the club will also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If there's one thing that's clear in this country its that nobody gives a **** about Irish football. They don't turn up and if they do its because Sunderland or some other well-known team come.

Galway United try their best. You hear advertisements on the radio, you see those posters everywhere but this stigma that the football is of poor quality is what kills the club.

We all visit the soccer forum and all we hear is "True Football" fans talking about how they know whats going on in the main clubs in Europe and they feel superior to the real people who attend matches and do their best to help the clubs.

**** MAINSTREAM FOOTBALL FANS. Ignorant bastards. /Rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If there's one thing that's clear in this country its that nobody gives a **** about Irish football. They don't turn up and if they do its because Sunderland or some other well-known team come.

Galway United try their best. You hear advertisements on the radio, you see those posters everywhere but this stigma that the football is of poor quality is what kills the club.

We all visit the soccer forum and all we hear is "True Football" fans talking about how they know whats going on in the main clubs in Europe and they feel superior to the real people who attend matches and do their best to help the clubs.

**** MAINSTREAM FOOTBALL FANS. Ignorant bastards. /Rant
    Well said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcYTp9vnd4

Highlights of Friday nights game against Pat's, our third win over them this season (and over Jeff Kenna).

Utd play Dundalk on the 17th (Friday) at 7.45 in Terryland

310360Galway_United_Players_Deliver_2.jpg

http://www.loi.ie/in...as-main-sponsor

Papa John’s is delighted to announce its sponsorship of the Galway United football team. Papa John’s immediately came to the rescue of the team when its previous main sponsor had to withdraw its sponsorship last Friday.

The announcement was made this morning at a press conference in the Marriott Hotel, Galway. Attending the press conference were Pat McDonagh, Papa John’s Managing Director, Nick Leeson, Galway United C.E.O., Ian Foster, Galway United Manager, David Cooke, Galway United team member, Michael D. Higgins TD, President of Galway United as well as members of the Galway United Management Board and Galway United team members.

Fresh from their third win over St Pat's this season, all the Galway United team members attended the press conference, receiving the news of their new main sponsor with excitement. This sponsorship has come in the middle of the season and is giving the club a wonderful lift. Galway United is a football club with deeply rooted history in Galway. The football club was founded as Galway Rovers in 1937.

Pat McDonagh, Managing Director of Papa John’s, said today of the announcement, “we’re really pleased that Papa John’s has been able to provide sponsorship and support to such a strong football team as Galway United. There have been many positive developments within the club over the last number of years and we are pleased to be able to join them in their possible successes over the coming season. Galway United is renowned for fostering some of the best young footballing talent in the country. This is vital for the game to be able to survive on a professional level within Ireland. Papa John’s pizza has proven that it always delivers on time with such a quick turnaround on this initiative.”

Speaking today on the on the sponsorship announcement Nick Leeson, C.E.O. of Galway United, said, “we are thrilled to be pairing up with Papa John’s for the sponsorship of Galway United. With the current economic climate this much needed boost is fantastic news for the club. We’re delighted that a company such as Papa John’s has come on board and given us such support. It instils a real sense of confidence in the Galway United camp that Papa John’s has taken the decision to join us at this stage in the season. Galway United is a club dedicated to the development of our players and professional soccer."

The first Galway United game with Papa John’s as their main sponsor takes place this Friday, 17th July at home in Galway United grounds, Terryland Park. Kick Off is at 7.45pm. As a generous goodwill gesture Papa John’s is giving the first 100 supporters that go through the Galway United gates free Papa John’s pizza vouchers.

For further information on Papa John’s log on to www.papajohns.ie. Information on Galway United’s fixtures and team news is available on www.galwayunitedfc.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ye better not go bust before our Cup match! Looking forward to a few pints in Galway before and after the match. Seems like an eternity ago since Dave Mooney snuck in an equaliser giving Longford their first point since the famous 6 point deduction.

Also pizza at the match will do :) Used to have an Apache pizza stand in Flancare then we got relegated... lucky to have a pack of crisps these days.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement