Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

I've been going to Galway Utd games since 1986 so i think i probably have a better idea than you. Anyone can make up a rumour when a team is on a run as bad as we currently are and then spread it and other people go 'oh yeah that sounds right', doesnt make it true.

You've been going to games since 1986?? No wonder you're looking for an excuse to lash out at someone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Doors open this evening at the Black Box at 7.30pm. Tickets (€10) will be on sale, are also available today from O'Briens Newsagents and from the Town Hall Theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Snacker wrote: »
    You've been going to games since 1986?? No wonder you're looking for an excuse to lash out at someone!!
    If you have no interest in GUFC apart from unintelligent rambling then leave this thread to people who have the clubs interests at heart. Fairly sure there is a conspiracy theory forum here somewhere for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here's how I see it Snacker.
    You made the allegation, and you need to back it up somehow.
    If you can't then I'll suspect you're trolling this thread.

This thread is for fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

While I'm not sure if he's trolling or not,and if he is then he hardly merits a response, you're being a bit harsh mods and I'm surprised.As per the OP, I understood this thread was querying what the public opinion of LOI football was, with specific reference to the city of Galway.I think this sort over over zealous defence of GUFC possibly belongs somewhere else. We are all fans of football in Galway, be it United,Mervue or Devon.If the lad wants to air his concerns or query what he heard, while everyone is entitled to refute it if they like, it would go against what boards where about if you stop him posting a question. Especially when there is a lack of info about. I notice there was no request to back up other allegations made previously on here for example.Everyone is upset at the current form and situation of the club, but reverting to this sort of "I've been a fan since..." chest beating is a bit sad

• Advertisement

While I'm not sure if he's trolling or not,and if he is then he hardly merits a response, you're being a bit harsh mods and I'm surprised.As per the OP, I understood this thread was querying what the public opinion of LOI football was, with specific reference to the city of Galway.I think this sort over over zealous defence of GUFC possibly belongs somewhere else. We are all fans of football in Galway, be it United,Mervue or Devon.If the lad wants to air his concerns or query what he heard, while everyone is entitled to refute it if they like, it would go against what boards where about if you stop him posting a question. Especially when there is a lack of info about. I notice there was no request to back up other allegations made previously on here for example.Everyone is upset at the current form and situation of the club, but reverting to this sort of "I've been a fan since..." chest beating is a bit sad
    I was asked if i was from Galway and made the point that i was by stating when i started watching Utd games, nothing to do with 'chest beating'. We all like debate and opinion on Galway soccer and its current state but people cant come on making wild and baseless accusations against players just because Joe soap told them. I could do that in any number of threads but i dont as i cant prove hearsay. We are simply defending the players against said accusations. He didnt post a question anyway, he stated these accusations to be true. What examples of other allegations are you referring to by the way?

There you go again.I'm not getting involved in a tet a tet, but there was a question asked.Now you could argue that this was just a ploy to state an unfounded bit of gossip, but it was(cleverly maybe) phrased as a question. All I was doing is asking the mods to show an impartial view on things. I admire your enthusiasm and sense of pride in your team, but there's no point arguing with me,as we're probably on the same side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Typical of the nonsense the club has to put up with tbh. You made an outlandish and unrealistic allegation, and now can't back it up because you don't want to name the player/s. Why not? Will they give ya a batin' if ya rat them out? Don't worry kid I'll protect ya. Until you can back up that rubbish it is just that, rubbish. Some neck on ya complaining that your question about loans isn't being answered when you can't answer our question. Come on boyyyyy, which player is getting himself suspended on purpose to go on holidays? Sounds stupider every time you say it tbh.

There you go again.I'm not getting involved in a tet a tet, but there was a question asked.Now you could argue that this was just a ploy to state an unfounded bit of gossip, but it was(cleverly maybe) phrased as a question. All I was doing is asking the mods to show an impartial view on things. I admire your enthusiasm and sense of pride in your team, but there's no point arguing with me,as we're probably on the same side.
    Read back through and yeah twas a question, fair enough, my bad and im not having a go at you by any means, apologies if thats how i came across ;). I do take issue with that person and the rumour mongering and of course being a fan i'll defend the club. In fairness to the mods, he made and accusation, was asked to back it up, hasn't and then continues mentioning it, i think its fair enough that they take issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

biko wrote: »
    This thread is for fans.
    Or for anybody who wants in on the debate, as long as they can behave themselves and don't make ludicrous remarks about the team. Calling it an accusation might imply that there could be some merit to it. There isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

A common observation by people is that Galway have 3 teams in LOI, but none of them appear viable. Therefore, why not have 1 viable club?

My question is; Would there actually be an advantage if all three clubs were merged into 1? would this actually create a strong unified club that could compete? Or would 1 LOI club in Galway actually weaken the soccer situation in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

A common observation by people is that Galway have 3 teams in LOI, but none of them appear viable. Therefore, why not have 1 viable club?

My question is; Would there actually be an advantage if all three clubs were merged into 1? would this actually create a strong unified club that could compete? Or would 1 LOI club in Galway actually weaken the soccer situation in Galway?

There should only be one LOI club in Galway. One that represents the city and county. That's the only way it'll have any serious level of support. No two of the clubs will ever merge, never mind all three.

I don't have a problem with Devon or Mervue, but I don't know what the FAI were thinking when they picked two teams from the same city to enter the A Championship. They're regretting it now.

I don't know what the FAI were thinking when they picked two teams from the same city to enter the A Championship. They're regretting it now.
    I doubt they are. No skin off their nose either way.

The problems that exist at Galway United have very little to do with there being three clubs in Galway.

With all due respect, this question comes up every so often and is always asked by people little understanding of the situation, sometimes even local journalists can be counted among them.

Sponsorship is certainly harder to come by these days and having two other clubs competing for smaller and smaller amounts of money doesn't help any of them. Mervue and Salthill.

Galway United is in such bad shape because directors of the club, past and present were negligent in their duties towards it and the people of Galway with an affinity to the club. They appointed a convicted fraudster and sociopath to the position of CEO of the club and allowed him to run the club without any kind of oversight. He almost single-handedly destroyed the reputation of the club and along with the directors managed to indebt the club to various banks and creditors to the tune of over a million.

Mervue and Devon have no desire to merge with Galway United or each other. They have their own structures in place and are excellent examples of community clubs. That said, it would be the wish of many in both camps for Galway United to implode. They might have ambitions of eventually gaining promotion and becoming a force in the league, but when you see that people in the immediate vicinity of Fahys Field and Drom have shown little interest in them it's evident that such a thing will never be possible.

KO this evening at Terryland Park versus Shamrock Rovers is 6.30pm, gates open 5.30pm.

Two adult tickets (or a family ticket) cost just €20.

The low attendances of Mervue and Salthill in their early stages of development and while in the first division,is no reason for them not to be able to reach the premier. Maybe 3 clubs are too much for Galway to support, but you can't knock anyone for their ambition.The problem is,as you say yourself, with structure and finance.If either team can make it into the premier by playing good football, then that's where they belong.Provided they can sustain themselves off the field,of course.Football is littered with teams that have low attendances but are in the top tier of their country.Just look at Blackpool last year and how refreshing they were to watch,despite their poor attendances compared with other premier sides.The more teams in Galway playing in the top two divisions in Ireland, the better for football in the city.Again,provided they can sustain themselves off the field. To try and suggest that something will never happen is pure speculation,as you can't predict how people will react to either Mervue or Salthill in the scenario you've suggested? With either club providing the only LOI football in the city? I wouldn't be happy if it happened, but who knows how people would react.I doubt it very much Mervue or Salthill are eroding majorly in GU's sponsorship at the moment either.

I'm sorry I just cannot name the player in question (fraustrating for me too) and I apologise for not doing so. I am not trying to troll. Can we just pretend I never said anything. I care about Galway United and do not want to dig anymore holes for myself. I hope I can be of more benefit to further ongoing discussions where I can back up my facts. Sorry for the timewasting guys

You cannot name the player because he does not exist.

Great game tonight!

Such a shame didn't make the game but the lads ran Rovers very close tonight so the scoreline suggests. Fluke or great performance?

• Advertisement

Such a shame didn't make the game but the lads ran Rovers very close tonight so the scoreline suggests. Fluke or great performance?
    Nobody has any holidays booked for the next few weeks so they all decided nobody would take a turn getting sent off this week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Gotta say that was the best performance I've seen in Terryland this season (I've only missed one game - the 4-3 loss to UCD).

They really had a go, got stuck in. Some good positives to be taken from last night.

Great buzz in the main stand, especially when we took the lead.

Does anybody know why the usual drummers over in the old stand were so quiet? Also I noticed they put up late and took down early the "Connor Out Now" banner.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

an old photo of Galway United vs Malahide but I've post processed it recently and like it-

4C2AB2633CE147AAA78CA969CC9773C0-0000332953-0002500375-00800L-E21D97211155455ABD0D285B9CF0E0FC.jpg

More sports photos from around Galway in my photoblog

Who is the United player ?

El Mullo wrote: »
    Who is the United player ?

Jay Molloy.

Col200sx wrote: »
    Does anybody know why the usual drummers over in the old stand were so quiet? Also I noticed they put up late and took down early the "Connor Out Now" banner.......
    Lack of numbers, being outnumbered about 10 to 1 by the singing Rovers fans and soberness because it was Sunday...

Edit: also "tiredness" after the Knights of Leon concert the night before! :P

UrbanSea wrote: »
    This is widespread.
    Another is for league of Ireland players to give their friends money to back them to get booked. Not huge stakes but enough to make a few quid.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055992129&page=58

I am not trying to troll.
    :rolleyes:

You are either a troll or are lacking something important upstairs.

When I posted...
    You cannot name the player because he does not exist.

... you thanked the post. What the hell like?

You claim to have the best interests of the club at heart but I can't see how making outrageous accusations about players who are most certainly still at the club for the love of the maroon or at the very least for the love of football accomplishes this. There's a lad or two I wouldn't count among them but it would make no sense for them to be at what you are accusing.

:rolleyes:

You are either a troll or are lacking something important upstairs.

When I posted...

... you thanked the post. What the hell like?

You claim to have the best interests of the club at heart but I can't see how making outrageous accusations about players who are most certainly still at the club for the love of the maroon or at the very least for the love of football accomplishes this. There's a lad or two I wouldn't count among them but it would make no sense for them to be at what you are accusing.

I just posted the quote as I thought it may be relevant to our earlier discussion. Please note I have not made any more "outrageous accusations". I just felt the link was of interest to the supporters of a LOI team.

I just posted the quote as I thought it may be relevant to our earlier discussion. Please note I have not made any more "outrageous accusations". I just felt the link was of interest to the supporters of a LOI team.
    The first accusation was plenty.

Not to mention the fact that the post you quoted was nonsense as well. If have never seen a bookie offer that market in the LOI. Only a couple of bookies pay any heed to the LOI and they have more sense than to offer that market. More misinformed nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Regards my ''utter nonsense''-I contacted a mate I know working an exchange. Bookies occassionally price that market for big games such as cup finals,that's what I'd been told.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement