Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Regards my ''utter nonsense''-I contacted a mate I know working an exchange. Bookies occassionally price that market for big games such as cup finals,that's what I'd been told.
    I know they do. The suggestion that illegal bets are made regularly on it is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

My apologies civis it was a player who said it to me,I assumed it to be correct.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    My apologies civis it was a player who said it to me,I assumed it to be correct.
    I'm not basing it on anything except logic. These markets are rarely offered in Ireland, but when they are it only takes relatively small amounts being staked on them for it to be suspended due to how easily it could be manipulated. Bookies are very wary of any possible funny business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Exactly what I was thinking. 4 figure sums would send alarm bells ringing,even 3 figure sums would.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Car Boot Sale tomorrow at Terryland Park from 10.00am. Cars trading €5, vans and larger vehicles €10. All proceeds to Galway United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

galway utd car boot i went to the last one waste of time just 2 stalls !!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

galway utd car boot i went to the last one waste of time just 2 stalls !!

With all due respect,that was the first week that it was run. These things take time to take off, so have a little patience.

We have run three car boot sales on successive Saturdays, traders have increased every week - we had fifteen yesterday.

Next car boot sale is on Saturday 3rd September, from 10.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Galway United will hold a general knowledge table quiz this Thursday, September 1st, at Crowes Bar, Bohermore (9.00pm). The entry fee is €40 per table of four, and there will be a raffle on the night.

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/galway-united-table-quiz

Open Market and Car Boot Sale again today at Terryland Park from 10.00am on. Cars trading €5, vans and larger vehicles €10.

• Advertisement

The show must go on!

304084_10150271353117470_87293542469_7990875_875934653_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Heard the club sacked their assistant manager this week. People might have more interest in that than car boot sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

celty wrote: »
    Heard the club sacked their assistant manager this week. People might have more interest in that than car boot sales.

I heard also Utd and Mikey Gilmore have parted company too. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yes Gareth Gorman was let go, he has taken over as manager of NUIG fulltime and did not have the required badges to be an LOI assistant manager, the club were only made aware of this by the Licensing Commitee of the LOI in recent weeks. As far as i know Mikey has been let go too, dont know the exact details only the rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

As far as i know Mikey has been let go too, dont know the exact details only the rumours.

I heard a rumour too, but have no confirmation either.

That's a pity, everytime I've seen Mikey on the pitch he was always full of running and enthusiasm, always gave 100%.

Col200sx wrote: »
    I heard a rumour too, but have no confirmation either.

That's a pity, everytime I've seen Mikey on the pitch he was always full of running and enthusiasm, always gave 100%.
    Yeah he had been decent when given his chance, unfortunate situation for him and the club. Lack of official statement from the MC is poor pr again too.

This whole season has been a PR disaster for the club.

They let their Assistant Manager go this week, but only want to send out releases about car boot sales or an Ambassador coming to see players who probably shouldn't be at the club in the first place ... having been brought to the club when everyone was supposedly up for sale.

People don't give a damn of the Ambassador of Korea comes to Terryland, they want to see some change on and off the pitch and the club get out of the mess it is currently in.

The Management Committee had a vote of no cofidence in Sean Connor weeks ago at this stage, and yet he's hanging on grimly. No further action or developments since then as the results just get worse and worse.

When we purchased our season tickets at the start of the campaign, none of us thought it would be this bad!

And if it is as bad as people are saying here, the MC should be making this a lot clearer in the media instead of trying to keep the devil away from the door by just having a few cars at a boot sale.

Or they should have the balls to stick up to Connor and the directors and simply say 'enough is enough'.

Get someone local in, rally the troops for the inevitable play off, and stop stumbling from week to week with the same shambles like they've been doing all season.

This whole season has been a PR disaster for the club.

They let their Assistant Manager go this week, but only want to send out releases about car boot sales or an Ambassador coming to see players who probably shouldn't be at the club in the first place ... having been brought to the club when everyone was supposedly up for sale.

People don't give a damn of the Ambassador of Korea comes to Terryland, they want to see some change on and off the pitch and the club get out of the mess it is currently in.

The Management Committee had a vote of no cofidence in Sean Connor weeks ago at this stage, and yet he's hanging on grimly. No further action or developments since then as the results just get worse and worse.

When we purchased our season tickets at the start of the campaign, none of us thought it would be this bad!

And if it is as bad as people are saying here, the MC should be making this a lot clearer in the media instead of trying to keep the devil away from the door by just having a few cars at a boot sale.

Or they should have the balls to stick up to Connor and the directors and simply say 'enough is enough'.

Get someone local in, rally the troops for the inevitable play off, and stop stumbling from week to week with the same shambles like they've been doing all season.
    Fundraisers are the only way the club will get to seasons end Celty, one way or another we have to get money from somewhere. People in Galway dont want to support the club in good or bad times so the cloth is cut accordingly. As for the Korean lads, theres no issue having them on loan, they are amateur players being paid expenses, the club let go or had players leave who wished, cant force them unless of breaches of contract etc. The pr thing is their biggest faux pas for me, they just dont get the info out to the poeple, bar the people that use the fans forum id say the average joe soap knows only the rumours circulating citywide in relation to every little issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

bar the people that use the fans forum id say the average joe soap knows only the rumours circulating citywide in relation to every little issue.
    Are there other forums besides this one that are used for Galway Utd discussion or do you mean forum in the non-online sense of the word?

Malice wrote: »
    Are there other forums besides this one that are used for Galway Utd discussion or do you mean forum in the non-online sense of the word?
    www.galwayunitedfc.net

• Advertisement

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/gorman-released-from-united-coaching-staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

He was coaching NUIG at the same time as GUFC.

By 'at the same time', I mean he was coaching both Clubs at the same time, allegedly.

One team was on one pitch and the other team was on the other pitch. Connor was at home, allegedly.

Pathetic really.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    He was coaching NUIG at the same time as GUFC.

By 'at the same time', I mean he was coaching both Clubs at the same time, allegedly.

One team was on one pitch and the other team was on the other pitch. Connor was at home, allegedly.

Pathetic really.

ErnieBert,

That's exactly what I mean. I heard that rumour too. But instead of giving out full information, the club issues a tiny, short press statement like the one above which explains little and just leaves people wondering what's going on.

I don't care about car boot sales, I don't care if the Ambassador of Korea is going to Terryland for every game for the rest of the season, I want to see the team change the management, change the atmosphere around the club, and end their terrible run and fight to survive.

If the club was left in a mess, people need to know this, have more info, and they might have more sympathy for the plight faced by the Management Committee.

An issue is being made out of Gareth Gorman leaving when there isn't one.

He isn't qualified for the job, something the FAI recently pointed out to the club apparently.

I don't have a clue about the ins and outs and they are none of my business, but it looks like they were forced to let him go.

Sean Connor is another issue altogether. He's a <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do not think that because this thread is outside the soccer forum anyone can call players or managers names.
    If I get more reports about similar stuff being posted I will shut this thread down.
    The same will happen if I get complaints from the club.

Just read in today's Galway City Tribune that Sean Connor looks set to step down after tonight's game against Dundalk. It seems me met with members of the Management Committee yesterday in a bid to iron out a deal which would allow him to leave.

An announcement is expected from the club after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The winless streak is over. United drew 2 - 2 with Dundalk tonight.

Next year, Champions League....!

First point since April and other good news on the way too. :)

ErnieBert wrote: »
    The winless streak is over. United drew 2 - 2 with Dundalk tonight.

Next year, Champions League....!

You know what EB, I was in the bookies this evening and for some reason I was really tempted to put money on the draw ... but I chickened out!

That run had to end sometime.

Hear there are moves to get Jumbo Brennan to take over, a popular choice. Irrespective of all that's gone on this season, I think it would be good now to get a new leader into the dressing room for the last half dozen games and to try to get the lads in good shape for the play-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

First point since April and other good news on the way too. :)

Please tell...:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement