Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I'm sure you can guess. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sean Connor has resigned after agreement on a compensation package with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Car Boot Sale again today at Terryland Park, starting at 10.00am.

Trading fee for cars €5, vans and larger vehicles €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/sean-connor-departs-united

The club had to wait until after last night's game to issue the statement about Connor. Because he had a three year deal, they were afraid he would not go and hold on for more compensation, or even sue them.

They might be in a mess, but this move can only be good for morale. And isn't it ironic that they finally managed to get a point on his last night.

If you ask me there should be a 'task force' on League of Ireland football in Galway. It's ridiculous that Salthill Devon, a club with virtually no fans, and Mervue are in the LOI when it's been proven for years that one Galway club finds it hard to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

celty wrote: »
    The club had to wait until after last night's game to issue the statement about Connor. Because he had a three year deal, they were afraid he would not go and hold on for more compensation, or even sue them.
    Apologies if it's obvious but I don't get what difference announcing before or after the game makes? Once an agreement is reached, surely that is what matters? No biggie anyway. What matters is that he gone from, something he has ironically had a lot of experience of while employed by the club.
    celty wrote: »
    it's been proven for years that one Galway club finds it hard to survive.
    I don't really agree. If United had been managed properly in the first place, United would be well capable of competing. Cut your cloth accordingly, build structures, be involved in the community. The club was busy at work doing the complete opposite for years until the committee took over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm sure you can guess. :)

Some rich Russian or Arab billionaire wants to buy the club?:D

United announce Brennan as caretaker manager

A club legend. Good luck to Jumbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I was listening to Newstalk last week when they had an interview with Roddy Collins, He had the idea that Galway Council should buy Terryland Park, upgrade it and loan/rent it back to Galway United.

Surely this type of expenditure is beyond the means of the Council and a outlandish proposition in order to satisfy a few supporters, I think that the Council could spend their funds in a far better way than buying a property from a business/club with a low supporter base and invest their funds in more fitting resources for use by all the thousands of city inhabitants rather than a few dozen.

I have not seen it published anywhere that the Council have even considered this ludicrous idea but would like to see what other Galway Boardsie's think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

As has been shown up on many occasions, Roddy Collins is not the most reliable source of info on LOI related matters or ideas that have any chance of succeeding.

Galway United already rent the ground from the Galway and District League, who run junior football in the county. They jointly upgraded the facilities over the years so that there is now a 6,000 capacity stadium, the envy of many around the country, with two very good covered seated stands and a top quality pitch for most of the year.

At the present time there is no real need for any more upgrades beyond maybe a new set of enlarged dressing rooms for under the new Corribside Stand, but why the Council would have any interest in getting involved is beyond me. He presumably thought the club owned the ground and that this would be a way of raising much-needed capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

United announce Brennan as caretaker manager

A club legend. Good luck to Jumbo.

Jumbo is Jesus.

Billy Cleary is his assistant.

Billy is Satan.

Wonderful combination. Good luck boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

ErnieBert wrote: »
    JBilly Cleary is his assistant.

Billy is Satan.
    I think you spelled legend wrong?

Roddy Collins is an irish footballing legend according to Roddy Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think you spelled legend wrong?
    Maybe he meant Billy is Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Did he elaborate on what upgrades were required? As Tribesman29 wrote, the facilities in Terryland are pretty good these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Galway united should not even have terryland,they have no real club as such.Look at salthill devon and mervue united,Excellent set ups and really well run clubs.Galway united do not really represent anybody in galway and the city is not big enough for 3 clubs?

Galway united should not even have terryland,they have no real club as such.Look at salthill devon and mervue united,Excellent set ups and really well run clubs.Galway united do not really represent anybody in galway and the city is not big enough for 3 clubs?

''They don't really represent anyone''.... Like a good lad, stop talking about stuff you can't take the obvious from, apparently the name doesn't click enough in your massive brain. :rolleyes:

Malice wrote: »
    Did he elaborate on what upgrades were required? As Tribesman29 wrote, the facilities in Terryland are pretty good these days.

No mention at all, I think it was more of a general comment - Think it would be a massive waste of money if it were to happen, Investing in the Sportsground would be far better, seeing as it does attract tourists from abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Why does nobody bother going to the games so,lost alot of fans when they upped the entrance fee to e15 a few years back.They have no underage system at all and like I said already Galway is not big enough for 3 clubs,if you think so you were not in terryland lately fool.

Will ye take your bitchfest elsewhere?

Mervue and Salthill get tiny crowds; I have been to games at Drom and Fahy's Field. Salthill in particular frequently attract only double figures unless there is a large traveling support. That said, they are both fine Football Clubs. Supposing both Clubs met in the FAI Cup Final at the Avivia Stadium? It would be the lowest attended Cup Final ever, that's for sure!

Connacht Rugby are only tenants at the Sportsground too.

Galway United , like Connacht is good for local business. Big Clubs like Shamrock Rovers and Derry City bring large crowds with them and many stay over.

When Galway United are going well, crowds frequently exceed 2000. When they have been in the top 4, numbers have been double that. Hopefully, we will see those days again.

Back in topic, Roddy Collins loves the sound of his own voice but is misinformed. I suppose that makes good listening on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Who should use Terryland then, the few teams who use it for cup games at the seasons end is it?

Galway Utd represent the city and county and have done for over 30 years, winning trophies along the way, giving local lads their start and chance in football e.g David Forde current Ireland international.

If you have nothing reasonable to say to add to the debate then dont post, simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The other 2 clubs have almost literally no fanbase, even though Mervue are going pretty well in Division 1, given their usual sh*tness before now. United still get around 500 per game, after 23 losses in a row that's brilliant going. Sean Connor leaving can only be a good thing, and a local manager like Jumbo will ignite a bit of passion at least. Galway United represents a whole lot more than Salthill and Mervue put together. What would Terryland be used for if GUFC didn't use it? Long long long term I'd love to see a community stadium shared with Connacht but now it's survival. Your posts are idiotic imo.

A shared stadium with Connacht...Not a hope

Why would a Team that has guaranteed European Rugby every year want to share with a club that hasn't won a game in over 20 attempts.

Connacht have nothing to gain from such an arrangement apart from a headache.

Galway United are making a mockery of Sport in the County, Hopefully the other Teams will shine and put an end to this embarrassing blot on Galway's sporting landscape...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Mike... wrote: »
    A shared stadium with Connacht...Not a hope

Why would a Team that has guaranteed European Rugby every year want to share with a club that hasn't won a game in over 20 attempts.

Galway United are making a mockery of Sport in the County, Hopefully the other Teams will shine and put an end to this embarrassing blot on Galway's sporting landscape...

So would i be right in saying that when Connacht were going ****e 5-10 years ago and the IRFU were thinking/trying to remove Connacht from the league you were all for it???? I doubt it very much.

Every team goes through bad patches and and this is Galway Uniteds. certainly the worst i have seen in my time supporting them. Sport in this county is bad on most levels.

Away to UCD tonight. Hopefully we'll keep the unbeaten run going!

Missing a few players through injury though.

Injured: Johnny Keane, Victor Collins, Jin Gu Kim, Eric Holland.
    Doubtful: Sean Kelly, Laurence Gaughan, Stephen Walsh.
    Suspended: None.

Half time scores.

UCD 0-0 GUFC

Athlone under 19 0-0 GUFC under 19

1-0 to United now in Belfield.

Lost 2-1 in Belfield. We seem to be improving though.

The U19s lost 1-0 in Athlone.

Malice wrote: »
    Roddy just likes to talk. It doesn't bother him in the least what nonsense comes out of his mouth. People wouldn't have half as much time for him if he wasn't so entertaining.

Newstalk can come out with some awful nonsense themselves about the league. The "insight" one of the presenters gave into sport in Galway after living there at some point was misinformed nonsense.

I don't want a war of words over it, but since you bring it up in the Galway United thread I won't let it go.

I find the situation that led to their qualification for the Heineken Cup laughable.

Connacht have NOT ONCE qualified for Europe on merit, something Galway United managed on three separate occasions.

Galway United don't have the luxury of a national association pumping millions into it every year. Mind you I'm sure Nick Leeson would have found a way to piss it away if they did.

If they never scored as much as a penalty all season they still would have been dropped into it. They are lucky to even exist. Galway United supporters stood beside them when the IRFU moved to try and disband the provincial team.
    The whole thing is purely hypothetical but... if Connacht and Galway United shared a ground, what one was doing wouldn't have much of an impact on the other, nothing any different from the current situation any way.
    Yeah, shame on them, playing in the top tier of Irish football. :rolleyes:

You will be a long time waiting for Mervue or Devon to do anything. They can't even get people in the immediate vicinity of their fields to come to games, never mind enough to put together the financial clout needed to make further progress. Whether or not you or anyone else likes it, Galway United represent the city and county. League of Ireland is niche enough as it is. I have great admiration for what Mervue and Devon have done with their structures, but people in other parts of the city and county will never identify with a team named after a housing estate. It isn't a dig, just the reality of the situation, as I and I reckon most other people with knowledge of what is going on locally would tell you.

• Advertisement

Galway United don't have the luxury of a national association pumping millions into it every year. Mind you I'm sure Nick Leeson would have found a way to piss it away if they did.

From what I know Connacht receive a fraction of what the big 2 receive, and as such I think their performance is over and above all expectations.
    Yeah, shame on them, playing in the top tier of Irish football. :rolleyes:

Big difference from the Top tier of European Rugby, I have seen Toby Flood and Johnny Wilkinson playing in the Sportsground.

In the Soccer World they are probably comparable to Wayne Rooney or Stephen Gerard. I have never heard of a household name playing in Terryland Park.

Same as you I don't want to get into a battle over this, My main issue with Galway United is, that it all seems take take take, Connacht players can be seen in the town, and at community and supporters events. They are currently taking the game to all parts of Connacht and trying to engage the fans, they also have a strong youth network.

All I ever hear from Galway United is come, pay your money and go - there doesn't seem to be any community involvement with the city they represent.

I don't know if it is true but from what I read in a post on this thread they don't even have a youth system.

How can a community develop an affinity with a team if there is all take and no give?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement