Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not having a go, just seems a bit laughable and that GUFC fans are involved in a kind of love in with Shams fans just so they can latch on to some miniscule shred of success.
    Its nothing to do with trying to latch onto Rovers success, what kind of imbecile of a football fan would take another team winning as good for their team, your logic is woefully bad. The 'love-in' as you call it stems from Rovers fans happiness when we beat Bohs at the end of last season which helped Rovers win the title, nothing from our side apart from appreciating their thanks. Dont bother with the negative posts if you know nothing about GUFC or LOI at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Malice wrote: »
    Would you prefer fans to just bitch and moan at each other?
    Honestly sometimes it seems like the better option.
    Its nothing to do with trying to latch onto Rovers success, what kind of imbecile of a football fan would take another team winning as good for their team, your logic is woefully bad. The 'love-in' as you call it stems from Rovers fans happiness when we beat Bohs at the end of last season which helped Rovers win the title, nothing from our side apart from appreciating their thanks. Dont bother with the negative posts if you know nothing about GUFC or LOI at all.
    I've hear GU fans go on about shams as if they were their second team, it is ridiculous thats why I was wondering why it seems to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Honestly sometimes it seems like the better option.

I've hear GU fans go on about shams as if they were their second team, it is ridiculous thats why I was wondering why it seems to go on.
    Where have you heard this? Do you regularly attend GUFC games and hear people in Terryland expressing their undying love for Rovers, highly unlikely.

Where have you heard this? Do you regularly attend GUFC games and hear people in Terryland expressing their undying love for Rovers, highly unlikely.
    Never went near terryland unless the team I supported was playing. People can talk about football outside the ground, the generally do outside of galway apparently.
    When I lived in Galway, right up until a couple of weeks ago, the few GU fans I could find would always talk with a sickening sense of admiration for shams, I couldn't understand what they were seeing that the rest of the LOI was overlooking. If you havn't encountered any of these people, genuinely I envy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

The bus to Monaghan tomorrow is almost full. We should have good support up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The bus to Monaghan tomorrow is almost full. We should have good support up there.

I am getting a lift from my brother's friend. Five of us in one car and three in the other car.

Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wonder if any of the 'safe' clubs get turfed out of the league this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Galway United lost first leg 2 - 0 conceding second goal only in the 87th minute

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

As someone said on the Galway Utd supporters website forum it can be turned around still.Galway Utd were in a playoff final about 10 yrs ago except we were the team from the 1st division 2-0 up after the 1st leg at home.We then went away to the Premier Div team Drogheda for the 2nd leg but lost 3-2 after extra time.

Aiel wrote: »
    As someone said on the Galway Utd supporters website forum it can be turned around still.Galway Utd were in a playoff final about 10 yrs ago except we were the team from the 1st division 2-0 up after the 1st leg at home.We then went away to the Premier Div team Drogheda for the 2nd leg but lost 3-2 after extra time.

You really can't compare this team with any other team tbh, sadly enough the closest I can think off would be the Kilkenny footballers, trounced every week to heights not seen in the game elsewhere.

Monaghan finished just a few points behind Shels and Cork(who only lost one game this season) our current squad in that division would be 3rd bottom IMO.

It's not your regular play off where the Prem team is off a decent quality, we have one win this season, 6 points and GD of -100.... this team wouldn't win many in D1.

To win 3-0 at home just isn't going to happen, in fact, there's more chance we'll lose 3-0 at home.
    Sad fact, but thats the reality here.

Regrouping in the first division is going to be the best solution long term, I can't imagine the budget jumping much for next season so it would only be more of the same.
    That leads to lowly gates which means the cycle continues, at least in D1 we can win some games, get the crowds back and come up again ala 2006 with over 3,000 up there, giving us a straight chance of pushing for honours.

• Advertisement

Do GUFC not reckon it would be better to go back to the first division and build themselves up again. Obviously all clubs supporters would like their team to be in the premier division but it's probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Huge night for GUFC tonight, I hope the public shows its support and fills Terryland.

Tickets gotten, looking forward to tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

should be there tonight - looking forward to it. Its going to be a tough game for Galway. But sure Michael D will spur on the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

C'mon Uniteeeddd!

Hopefully a big crowd there to spur our lads onto victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Best of luck to GUFC tonight, hope you can somehow manage 2-0 and get to extra time at least. If not, best of luck to GUST on rebuilding next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Aw well, relegation it is. Time to rebuild, unless the silly season begins and we have to stay up to make up the numbers.:pac:

We will be back.

Thanks to everyone who turned up tonight. Our third highest crowd of the season after not winning at home all season. Incredible loyalty.

We will be back.

Thanks to everyone who turned up tonight. Our third highest crowd of the season after not winning at home all season. Incredible loyalty.

Yep incredible loyalty it was, in fact I was amazed how many turned out considering season tickets didn't count.

I hope the loyalty continues next season (if there is a next season for the club).

But in fairness, Monaghan 100% deserved their spot in the Premier Division on the evidence of the football played over the 2 legs.

On another note, does anybody know where I'd pick up a few Utd shirts? I need 3 for a relative that's leaving Galway for other shores.

Elvery's only have about 15 XXL home shirts, I need smaller sizes than that.

Col200sx wrote: »
    Yep incredible loyalty it was, in fact I was amazed how many turned out considering season tickets didn't count.

I hope the loyalty continues next season (if there is a next season for the club).
    Average attendance of 870 for this season. 3 people higher than last season.
    But in fairness, Monaghan 100% deserved their spot in the Premier Division on the evidence of the football played over the 2 legs.
    Agreed.
    On another note, does anybody know where I'd pick up a few Utd shirts? I need 3 for a relative that's leaving Galway for other shores.

Elvery's only have about 15 XXL home shirts, I need smaller sizes than that.
    The deal with Elverys/Rival ended at the end of this season so there will be new ones with another company for next season. Have you tried asking the staff in Elverys though? They might have some somewhere.

• Advertisement

The deal with Elverys/Rival ended at the end of this season so there will be new ones with another company for next season. Have you tried asking the staff in Elverys though? They might have some somewhere.

Thanks Pinturicchio :) Ya I asked, and they said what was there was what they had.

They also had a couple of the green/blue striped away shirts from before, but the whole idea is to be wearing the maroon Utd shirt abroad.

On another note, there's a good read on the back of the Sentinel today about GUFC :)

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/2012-season-ticket-forms-available

2012 Season Ticket forms are now available online.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR SEASON TICKET APPLICATION FOR THE 2012 SEASON.

Prices will be the same as last year:

Adults and concessions : €99
    Secondary school students : €59
    Family ticket : €300

Application forms are also available from the club office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

A silly question and kind-of off topic, but i just figure that someone here will be able to answer me. Is the "Galway & District Premier league" an underage league or do the senior teams compete?

I'm just wondering why Mervue and Salthil-Devon are in it while Galway Utd. aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

That league is the top tier of adult junior soccer in Galway. Its where Mervue and Salthill had their top teams for years until they decided to advance to Loi a few years ago but kept the junior teams there aswell. Not sure if I explained it too well! :P

The Galway & District League is a local league in Galway. Mervue and Salthill have teams in it, but their top teams are in the League of Ireland (the national league) along with Galway United.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

so the teams that play in LOI are different ones from those that play in Galway and District? and that's why Galway utd. doesn't play in it?

so the teams that play in LOI are different ones from those that play in Galway and District? and that's why Galway utd. doesn't play in it?

Yes, they are different teams. The League of Ireland is a much higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/2012-season-ticket-forms-available

2012 Season Ticket forms are now available online.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR SEASON TICKET APPLICATION FOR THE 2012 SEASON.

Prices will be the same as last year:

Adults and concessions : €99
    Secondary school students : €59
    Family ticket : €300

Application forms are also available from the club office.

Unfortunately I can't see many people taking up this offer next season. I was a season ticket holder last year but don't think I'll be buying next season for that price. It was great value when we were in the premier divison. Mervue and Salthill were €50 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Almost certain Mervue were 75/80 for the season just passed, devon may have been cheaper. GUFC is a bit more expensive but for one thing you have to look at is the facilities you're getting.
    Would you rather pay 25 less and get soaked at every game or the bit more and be kept dry?

It's still around a fiver a game, cant really argue with that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Mervue season tickets for 2011 were €75, or €50 for concession tickets. Salthill Devon were €50. Neither price included the price of medical products that may have been required to deal with any colds or flus that maye have been picked up as neither side have covered terracing around their pitch, contrary to the requirements of the FAI's League Licensing system. Another FAI fudge. Galway United use Terryland Park, which has two covered stands, while there was also hot food available for purchase, and toilets at both ends of the ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement