Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

There is an online petition supporting GUST's license application here. http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gust

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

I went down tonight to see what was the trusts plans on going forward and I have to say I was well impressed. The lads have their heads screwed on and there seems to be more support behind the trust from the not just the people in the streets but business people as well as the local and national media, than I ever saw whilst supporting Galway United/Galway Rovers. Hope it works out for them, and I will give them my full support financially/vocally when they are surely playing first division football next season.

Gaillimh Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

From the above article:
    MEMBERS of Galway United fans group, the Galway United Supporters Trust (GUST), travelled to Dublin yesterday to outline to FAI officials their plans to launch a new club to play in the Airtricity League First Division in the 2012 season.

Around 150 people attended Sunday night’s meeting, including city councillors Niall McNelis and Billy Cameron, and the Mayor of County Galway, Michael ‘Mogie’ Maher, who all pledged their support for the move by the fans to withdraw their backing for Galway United FC and instead attempt to launch their own club.

Mayor Maher said he was at the meeting as a show of support from the people of County Galway for the move by the fans, and also as a signal that Galway United represented both the city and the county, a fact which a number of people raised on the night.

He also said he would speak to the other elected representatives of Galway County Council in relation to writing a letter of support, or signing a petition, to back the move by GUST, and promised to give whatever help he could to attract sponsorship for the new club, which will be initially called Galway United Supporters Trust FC.

“Galway stretches from Clifden to Portumna, and people must realise and remember that. The people of the county need a club to support, and I am giving you my full backing,” he said.

Cllr McNelis said the five Labour councillors on Galway City Council had sent a fax to the FAI outlining their support for the move by the fans group, while officials from GUST said they had gathered close to 1,000 signatures on a petition in the city over the weekend backing their move to apply for a First Division licence.

The mood was cautious but optimistic at Sunday night’s meeting, with a number of people from the county saying that Galway United was more than a city club, a message which they wanted hammered home with the FAI officials.

Others spoke of the value of having ‘Galway’ in the name of a club, and said while Salthill Devon and Mervue United were progressive, well structured clubs who have both won the right to play in the First Division, they were ‘parish-based’ clubs, and had no attraction to people outside their own catchment areas.

The GUST outlined its manifesto for the new club, including what it titles ‘Six Reasons’ why it should be awarded a licence to compete in the Airtricity League next season: Revenue stream; Cost base; Operational; Fan base; Community ethos; and Values.

Its members say they have shown they are capable of running a club due to their involvement in the day-to-day running of Galway United last season, including having to take tough decisions such as when they released the professional players on the club’s books in June due to financial constraints.

• Advertisement

The FAI have issued a short statement on yesterday's meeting with Galway United Supporters Trust calling it "a productive and informative meeting".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wonder if Galway United would re-consider my job application for manager back in 2008. Nick Leeson and his cronies didn't have the good sense to hire me.

Anyone on here that's part of the GUST. Hit me up with the job offer. Thanks.

http://thecityfathers.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/galway-united-job-application-from-2008/

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I wonder if Galway United would re-consider my job application for manager back in 2008. Nick Leeson and his cronies didn't have the good sense to hire me.

Anyone on here that's part of the GUST. Hit me up with the job offer. Thanks.

http://thecityfathers.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/galway-united-job-application-from-2008/
    LLRxQ.jpg

You should've been a comedian....jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That might be the worst thing ever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That might be the worst thing ever
    Twas done better before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Thanks to everyone who has signed the petition supporting the application of Galway United Supporters Trust for the Airtricity League. You can sign on-line at www.facebook.com/gustfc

Upcoming GUST Fundraiser - "Maroon Tunes" - a 12 track compilation CD by Galway artists and musicians for Galway United Supporters Trust. "Maroon Tunes" will be launched downstairs in The Cellar Bar, Eglington Street, on Saturday January 14th (9.30pm). Music will be provided by the sublime "Vickers Vimy".

http://www.maroontunes.com

383760_308785382493852_295711193801271_867803_467512942_n.jpg

383760_308785402493850_295711193801271_867804_1438323122_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

The first Galway Soccer Lotto draw will be held this evening in Cookes Bar, Newcastle, for a jackpot of €5,000. The Galway Soccer Lotto is a partnership between Galway United Supporters Trust and Corrib Rangers, other clubs in the city and county are welcome to join.

The draw will be held in Cookes at 10.00pm (approx), all Galway United supporters welcome. For further information on the Galway Soccer Lotto, please contact the GUST office

Galway United Supporters Trust will hold an open meeting this evening, Wednesday January 18th, at The Claddagh Hall (9.00pm). The purpose of the meeting is to update our supporters and the public regarding our application for the 2012 Airtricity League. All welcome.

Looks like the club will be merging with Salthill Devon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Looks like the club will be merging with Salthill Devon?
    No, GUST are in negotiations with both Salthill and Mervue at the behest of the FAI who want a team with a Galway name playing in Terryland, negotiations are slow and difficult so rumours are just that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭innthe

Are there any trials to pick the players for the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

innthe wrote: »
    Are there any trials to pick the players for the team?

how would this work regarding pre-existing contracts with players and staff SD and MU?

• Advertisement

don't bother getting the gearbag ready yet, it is looking more than likely that there won't be a Galway United for the forseeable future.

don't bother getting the gearbag ready yet, it is looking more than likely that there won't be a Galway United for the forseeable future.

that's a shame considering the clubs rich history. is there any site you could direct me to detailing the downfall of the club? all i hear are bits and pieces & would like to get the full story of what happened

that's a shame considering the clubs rich history. is there any site you could direct me to detailing the downfall of the club? all i hear are bits and pieces & would like to get the full story of what happened
    We used joke about when the book would be published... but jokes aside, you could literally have written a book for every month of the last couple of years...

The Galway United Under 19s team play in the Airtricity Under-19 League. GUST will ensure that they can play out the rest of the season, which runs until April.

try www.galwayunitedfc.net or www.foot.ie

so, weren't GUST hoping to hold an open meeting today at eight pm? does anybody know the outcome of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

so, weren't GUST hoping to hold an open meeting today at eight pm? does anybody know the outcome of that?
    yes a vote was taken and neither takeover offer was accepted

Galway United U19 take on Mervue United U19 tonight (Wednesday) in Fahy's Field in the Airtiricity League U19 Cup. Kick off 7.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

It seems that the fans voted unanimously not to go in with either Mervue or Salthill. They are taking a break from the LOI for a year and hoping to put a proposal for a new Galway United side to represent the city and county in the League in 2013.

It's a sad outcome to what has been a terrible few years for the club, effectively the end of a 'Galway' club after 34 or 35 years in the League with no guarantee that a new look club will get back in, considering their lack of ground, structures, etc, and the awful economic climate.

According to The Sentinel on Tuesday, people were being asked to back a 'SD Galway' or 'Mervue and Galway United' and I guess the supporters of GU felt they'd be losing their identity with such a change.

Ironic that the wonderful people in the FAI have lost the only Galway club with any decent level of support, while clubs from Salthill and Mervue (with tiny support bases across the city and county) will be in the League next year. That's Irish soccer for you, with a CEO on €400,000 a year and a League which can't even feature one 'proper' club from the country's third or fourth biggest city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

So it's the League's fault Galway United played so poorly last season?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement