Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

So the club was not run properly last year.
    Crowds weren't the problem last year. The manager and the legacy of debt from the owners which had to be service to keep the club going as well as the cost of everything else. Considering everything the crowds were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Crowds weren't the problem last year. The manager and the legacy of debt from the owners which had to be service to keep the club going as well as the cost of everything else. Considering everything the crowds were brilliant.

I dont deny that legacy issues arose but contract signed LAST SEASON are still not paid. If we had bigger crowds these could have been paid.

I repeat, the problem was not the crowds. If GUST had been let cut the wage bill and get rid of that cnut of a manager, it wouldn't have been anywhere near what it ended up being. Leeson allegedly let Connor give himself a sizeable wage increase, one that could have paid the entire wages of a number of players, when everything else was being stripped to bare bones. The wages he was on were far too high in the first place imo, never mind the value for money he gave for it, which was f*** all. You can't employ a manager and expect them to get results no matter what the situation, but things you should expect, is that they behave themselves, keep the players fit and disciplined within reason and don't alienate the fcuking squad a quarter of the way through the season, or have him wanting to feck off for the night for a piss up instead of managing the team.

I repeat, the problem was not the crowds. If GUST had been let cut the wage bill and get rid of that cnut of a manager, it wouldn't have been anywhere near what it ended up being. Leeson allegedly let Connor give himself a sizeable wage increase, one that could have paid the entire wages of a number of players, when everything else was being stripped to bare bones. The wages he was on were far too high in the first place imo, never mind the value for money he gave for it, which was f*** all. You can't employ a manager and expect them to get results no matter what the situation, but things you should expect, is that they behave themselves, keep the players fit and disciplined within reason and don't alienate the fcuking squad a quarter of the way through the season, or have him wanting to feck off for the night for a piss up instead of managing the team.

So what you are saying is if we could break agreed contracts everything would have been fine. Thats some attitude from a former MC member to have. At the end of the day contracts agreed with the mc last year have not been paid. If the attendances were higher these would have been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

To be getting over 600 consistently, considering how horrendous the results all season were, proved that crowds were not the problem. People in Galway aren't stupid you know. Just because Galway is now in Salthill's name and they'll play in Terryland doesn't mean people will go. Crowds will be pathetic, absolutely nowhere near to GUFC's average last season. I'd be surprised if SDG lasted any more than a season or two in the LOI.

• Advertisement

So what you are saying is if we could break agreed contracts everything would have been fine. Thats some attitude from a former MC member to have. At the end of the day contracts agreed with the mc last year have not been paid. If the attendances were higher these would have been paid.
    Any player that wanted to leave was told they could. GUST wanted to do this far sooner than they were allowed, because after the contracts had been signed, debts that Leeson covered up or lied about surfaced on almost a daily basis. The 15k or whatever it was bill for suits from the B&W ball being just one example.

Any player that wanted to leave was told they could. GUST wanted to do this far sooner than they were allowed, because after the contracts had been signed, debts that Leeson covered up or lied about surfaced on almost a daily basis. The 15k or whatever it was bill for suits from the B&W ball being just one example.

These debts are not what im talking about. Contract approved by the MC LAST SEASON are still not paid. If attendances were higher they would have been paid.

These debts are not what im talking about. Contract approved by the MC LAST SEASON are still not paid. If attendances were higher they would have been paid.
    Having to service debts that cropped up after the contracts were signed = less money for everything including wages.

Having to service debts that cropped up after the contracts were signed = less money for everything including wages.

The manager, the previous board, not able to cancel contracts, and now having to service debts. We would have had to service debts either way. If we had bigger crowds this would not have been a problem. Our wage bill was the third lowest in the league it could not go much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The Crowds next season will be a disaster. Even worse. But Friday nights don't suit everyone especially families. I'd prefer Sunday afternoons. Surely it has to be a pain for players playing under floodlights all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

gammygils wrote: »
    The Crowds next season will be a disaster. Even worse. But Friday nights don't suit everyone especially families. I'd prefer Sunday afternoons. Surely it has to be a pain for players playing under floodlights all the time
    Ya i mean this Irish idea of playing under floodlights is just plain crazy, i mean you would never see these 'big,long torches' anywhere. Imagine poor auld Messi or Ronaldo having to play under............oh wait a minute!!!!!!!

And as for Sundays, hardly a great idea trying to compete against the GAA when your as tiny a club as SD Galway are gonna be.

when your as tiny a club as SD Galway are gonna be.
    FTFY.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

FTFY.

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

what?
    It's an abbreviation for Fixed That For You.

The Galway United u19 team, who are being looked after by GUST and managed by Alan Murphy, will be playing against Mervue United tonight at 7.30 in Mervue, in the Airtricity Under 19 National Cup.

I'll be down there to give them my support. I'd encourage all Galway United fans to do the same if they are able.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

Just wondering if the attendance bet is still running? Not looking good after last night's showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

That bastardised child of a club won't get attendances any higher than that,it's insulting that they think that Galway united fans will mistake it for the club it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What was the attendance like last night?

Malice wrote: »
    What was the attendance like last night?

A max of 170, corroborated by many, including Wexford people.

Salthill Devon tried to say the attendance was 347.

I'd be surprised if the number of people who paid in was far into double figures, if they even took money on the gate.

They gave free tickets to anyone who would take them around town and still only managed 170, including away fans.

Galway Bay FM reported "a great crowd".

The Galway Advertiser posted a picture of an empty car park in Terryland.

Just wondering if the attendance bet is still running? Not looking good after last night's showing.

Which bet was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

yeehaw wrote: »
    Where is the massive fan base? Where were they all season? If this fanbase was so big why has the club folded? How many games were you at last season?

I'd be happy to wager that the move to Terryland and wearing maroon will significantly increase attendance. It is a lot more appealing (to some!) sitting in a covered stand than being up in Drom completely exposed to the elements.

I will bet you €100 that SD Galway's attendance at Terryland for the coming season will be within 20% of what Galway United's was last year for regular season games, e.g. excluding playoff. What was Galway United's average? The loser to donate the €100 to a charity of the winner's choosing.

A good few people wanted a piece of it, as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

afaik re attendance.
    around 350 was total attendance and around 200 paid cash on the night.
    the rest were season tickets and complimenary tickets.less than 20 away fans.
    if they get a few wins im sure people will go up at least once for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

howyanow wrote: »
    afaik re attendance.

Not a hope in hell would I go to watch SDG.

Galway United will never die.

howyanow wrote: »
    afaik re attendance.

That is a complete lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wexford Youths fan here, every single bit of that is a lie, was there on the night.

Wexford Youths fan here, every single bit of that is a lie, was there on the night.

The thing with the people in Devon that are responsible for this mess is that even having been there and seen the place almost empty, they probably still believe the lies they are unsuccessfully trying to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I offered the bet to celty and he can still take me up on it if he likes. I need an average of 680 according to another poster so 347 is not a bad start. Onwards and upwards.

A very cheap shot by the Advertiser to take a photo of an empty car park. Some of the comments on the facebook posts were pretty pathetic, coming from people of should know better, some of whom have posted on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I offered the bet to celty and he can still take me up on it if he likes. I need an average of 680 according to another poster so 347 is not a bad start. Onwards and upwards.
    But there wasn't 347 people there, no matter how many times you keep telling yourself that.... :o

You're only fooling yourselves at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

But there wasn't 347 people there, no matter how many times you keep telling yourself that.... :o

You're only fooling yourselves at the end of the day.

The bet surely has to be settled on official attendance?

I'm not fooling anyone. I have no affiliation to any club in Galway. Indeed I have not been to a local soccer match for 4 years or so and that was to see Galway United in Terryland.

I do however, wish both Salthill and Mervue well. I don't understand the resentment towards them. Galway United, despite the best efforts of a few people, were a total shambles for the last few years. I don't see why anyone involved with GUFC wouldn't wish Salthill playing at Terryland anything other than good luck. Fair enough don't support them, but there is no need to sneer at them.

• Advertisement

Crowds will go in only one direction, south. I can't believe you have the neck to come on here and still pretend that the 347 figure was nothing other than a bare-faced lie told by greedy, deluded gob****es who have no interest in furthering the game in Galway. Their only interest is a nice expenses paying job with the FAI.
    A very cheap shot by the Advertiser to take a photo of an empty car park. Some of the comments on the facebook posts were pretty pathetic, coming from people of should know better, some of whom have posted on this thread.

You are only annoyed because it doesn't fit in with the deluded narrative that you are desperately clinging to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement