Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lucky too be alive Mr.Longford. Travelling a fair distance for a Baten'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Lucky too be alive Mr.Longford. Travelling a fair distance for a Baten'

I only live 50 minutes from Galway ;) If ye don't manage to beat us I will be surprised :)

Whatever ye do try not get relegated / demoted etc as the first division drains the life out of you.

Ah now we know the First Division like the back of our hands. I remember the Damian Dupuy days. Fair play for travelling though. I can respect real fans like yourself.

Looking forward to the match

I forgot about all the years Galway were down here in hell. Hope ye can get through the current financial problems. We are and will continue to pay for past insanity for a while to come sadly. It is a matter of low low playing budget and try keep the club going whilst getting rid of the massive debt that was racked up.

Playing Mervue at home this Saturday.. have to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Playing Mervue at home this Saturday.. have to beat them.
    Ye will, Mervue are on the back of 3 thrashings including getting hammerer by Kildare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjYK_lBV5AA

Have good memories of playing longford! Had it not been for some crackers this season this wold have been my all-time favourite goal by Utd.( 1:50 in)

• Advertisement

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Ye will, Mervue are on the back of 3 thrashings including getting hammerer by Kildare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjYK_lBV5AA

Have good memories of playing longford! Had it not been for some crackers this season this wold have been my all-time favourite goal by Utd.( 1:50 in)

I was there for that I think there were around 50 people that night :D I even applauded that goal, it was an absolute screamer.

Galway United v Dundalk Preview

Galway United manager Ian Foster is without the suspended Jay O’Shea, Michael McGrath and Shane Guthrie for the visit of Dundalk to Terryland Park on Friday night - Kickoff: 7.45pm.

United are boosted with the return of Alan Murphy and Shane Fitzgerald to the squad while winger Derek O’Brien remains a doubt with a hamstring injury.
    Declan Edwards has also moved back to Stockport County after his loan spell expired.

As a generous goodwill gesture, Papa John’s pizza is giving the first 100 supporters that go through the Galway United gates free Papa John’s pizza vouchers.

Kick-off at Terryland Park is at 7.45pm

10 euro Millwall Match Tickets
    Supporters attending Friday's game can avail of a 5 euro discount for the Millwall game if they purchase their Millwall match tickets in advance. Tickets can be purchased from the club offices before the Dundalk game and at half-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paddytheloaf

lavaghball wrote: »
    Just wondering what the public opinion on League of Ireland soccer is? As a frequenter of Terryland Park i find it astonishing that a city of over 75 thousand people, plus however many live in the county, can only attract a crowd of 1,400 max for home games.
    Is it the Friday kickoff that people dont fancy or is Galway too much of a GAA town?

There's a problem that's always existed in Galway.
    The town has rarely been "united" behind the team.
    Fans have always supported their local junior team (Mervue, Hibs, West, Bohs etc.) and never considered Galway Utd. to be truly representative of Galway football........A real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

There's a problem that's always existed in Galway.
    The town has rarely been "united" behind the team.
    Fans have always supported their local junior team (Mervue, Hibs, West, Bohs etc.) and never considered Galway Utd. to be truly representative of Galway football........A real shame.

I think Terryland still has a reputation of offering little entertainment on cold nights in a league no one is particularly interested in.

Contrast that with the match at Pearse Stadium on Sunday!

Or the excitement of big matches from across the water which you can watch from the comfort of our own home or with a beer in a warm pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

For me it's the Friday night matches. I usually have to head home for training Fridays and then maybe matches at the weekend. I'd like to start going to a few more as I went to a good few in college but it's just a pity there isn't an odd mid-week game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

a bar in terryland would bring in extra revenue, as a dundalk supporter a pint before and after the game would be nice as other pubs are a good distance away.
    as for the match versus Dundalk the security was a joke, one security guy was searching peoples bags in the stand! after been told he could not search peoples belongings he informed that he could! obviously failed the garda entrance exam!

I think Terryland still has a reputation of offering little entertainment on cold nights in a league no one is particularly interested in.

Contrast that with the match at Pearse Stadium on Sunday!

Or the excitement of big matches from across the water which you can watch from the comfort of our own home or with a beer in a warm pub.
    In fairness I have been to many a cold windy depressing game in pearse stadium also. It's the same with every sport you get some good and some bad games. I had gone to nearly all of the Galway footbalers championship matches and the odd league match and bar a couple of occasions I wasn't entertained to what I expected.

Terryland can be cold, i'll admit that. However people go on about how the league should be played during the Winter as oppsoed to the Summer so theres no winning there. Terryland, however can be largely entertaining, for example Cork City match last year was by far the most entertaining match I have been to and after the match I could bearly feel my fingers and toes.

For anyone thats interested in going to Bray tomorrow to support Utd go to galwayunitedfc.ie and the contact details for the GUST bus are there and if you can't make it to that try to make it to the match against Sligo the following Friday if you're available and want to support YOUR local team.

Theres rumours also that Jay O'Shea is moving to 'Boro.

To coincide with the new English premier league season Galway United Supporters Trust have created a new Fantasy Football league to support the ongoing work of the Trust in promoting Galway United. This opportunity to win some prize money and provide much needed funding for match promotion and other activities is not to be missed!
    The Trust has set up a Fantasy Football league with a difference! Fans, friends, work colleagues etc are being encouraged to register a team on www.fantasy.premierleague.com. Registration on the site is free, all that is needed is an e-mail address.Then follow the instructions to register your team on the GUST league.
    To access the league you need an activation code. The code will be available to anyone willing to pay a contribution of ?25 to GUST.This ?25 will be split between prize money & GUST. A host of Prizes will be arranged from 1st place to 3rd place cash prizes with special prizes for best cup run, top weekly points etc.
    Liam Hanrahan ? GUST league administrator- explained that a number of leagues are to be set up with about 15 people per league so with 3 prizes and special prizes everyone is in with a good chance of winning a decent prize as well as knowing that GUST will be using the funding to support their local League of Ireland Premier Division side.

So take the chance & sign up, attempt to out manage the likes of GUFC legend Billy Cleary, current GUFC team members John Russell, Jay O?Shea and Vinny Faherty.Sign up and access to the league code can be arrange at the Galway United home matches against Sligo on the 31st of July and Drogheda match on the 11th of August or by contacting liamhanrahan@eircom.net

PM me if you're interested and i'll contact Liam for you.

Thank you to those who have promised to sign up for the Fantasy League.

Galway United are playing Sligo Rovers on Friday at 7.45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Thank you to those who have promised to sign up for the Fantasy League.

Galway United are playing Sligo Rovers on Friday at 7.45

Thanks for the reminder Foxxx92;

Games against Shhhligo are always intense.
    Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I dont' like soccer but I have been asking myself the same thing about Galway uniteds attendance. I've concluded the following

The regular Irish person, who's not a big soccer fan but watches a little, is lazy, turns on the telly and looks at English soccer.

A lot of Folks in Galway genuinely don't know where Terryland Football Stadium is.

They should really push their publicity more and point out it's a family night out, I think there are food stands there and everything. Frankly, I've seen the price of tickets, and relative to other "entertainments", it's actually good value.

I'm thinking of popping to a match or two myself, the District league supported my local gymnastics club recently so I'm going to return the compliment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Greaney wrote: »
    I've seen the price of tickets, and relative to other "entertainments", it's actually good value.
    Such as? It's more expensive than the cinema for a start isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah, unless you are buying popcorn and a drink too. Then it's pretty much the same...

Jay is gone :( Best of luck to him in Birmingham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

malice_ wrote: »
    Such as? It's more expensive than the cinema for a start isn't it?

Cinema and (underground) clubs cost about the same (€9/10). Live entertainment however is another story. So I stand by my comment on the price of a soccer ticket being reasonable.

The full price tickets in Terryland are €15, The last match in Pearse Stadium tickets were €30, a night in the town hall will set you back, in the region of €20/25. Live gigs can be any price from €10 to €35 in this town.

I'm not trying to be clever about this, but I go to a lot of different things and the only thing I can think of to top value for money in all that Galways has to offer in entertainment, is the free Con tempo gigs in the Library (which I recommend also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I agree on the entertainment front actually...go to a lot of gigs myself. I'd prefer a gig than a Galway United match tbh, sad reality of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lavaghball

The GUFC Sligo Rovers match was one of the best in quite a while. And for one the place was rockin. Next match is next Tuesday evening 7.45pm against Drogheda United. Should be another tight match with both teams close to each other in the table and on teh pitch.
    In relation to the value compared to other entertainment in the town, it is pretty good. €15 for n adult, €5 for under-12s and €30 for a family ticket is pretty good. As on poster said it cost €30 for one person to get into Pearse Stadium the last day. The attendence was over 1,000 again the last day and i saw a few regular heads returning so maybe things are picking up a bit at the club. Just look at Cork City and u'll see how a club can be rode into the ground. Fair play to Utd they seem to be keeping the show on the road and hopefully it'll stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tribalarmy

GUST are setting up a fantasy premierleague to support the ongoing work of the Trust in promoting Galway United. This opportunity to win some prize money and provide much needed funding for match promotion and other activities is not to be missed!
    It costs €25 to enter with €10 going to a prize fund and €15 going to GUST. So take the chance & sign up, attempt to out manage the likes of GUFC legend Billy Cleary, current GUFC team members John Russell, Jay O’Shea and Vinny Faherty.

You can sign up by either paying at the GUST stand in Terryland on the 11th of August when Utd play Drogheda or on the 14th when they play Longford in the cup. If this doesn't suit you can pay by paypal.

enter email: gust.fantasy.premier.league@gmail.com
    25.00 - Personal - Gift

Once you pay you will be told the access code for the league.

Please get out and support your local team in two crucial games against Drogheda and Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

tribalarmy wrote: »
    GUST are setting up a fantasy premierleague to support the ongoing work of the Trust in promoting Galway United. This opportunity to win some prize money and provide much needed funding for match promotion and other activities is not to be missed!
    It costs €25 to enter with €10 going to a prize fund and €15 going to GUST. So take the chance & sign up, attempt to out manage the likes of GUFC legend Billy Cleary, current GUFC team members John Russell, Jay O’Shea and Vinny Faherty.

how long does the code take to come thru? I'll probably sign up for it by paypal a little later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did I see in the paper this week that (sponsor) Papa Johns are doing a promotion where GU players deliver pizza to your house?

how long does the code take to come thru? I'll probably sign up for it by paypal a little later

A few hours at most. If you PM me a copy of your receipt from PayPal i'll give you the code.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did I see in the paper this week that (sponsor) Papa Johns are doing a promotion where GU players deliver pizza to your house?

Yes,
    Order a pizza and a Galway United player will deliver

Galway United and sponor Pat McDonagh of Papa John's have devised a unqiue way of ensuring United players connect with their fans. Over the next two weeks United football players will be delivering Papa John's pizzas straight to the door in a competition to be run on Galway Bay FM. During the weeks of Monday August 10 and Monday August 17 Keith Finnegan will reveal details of the competiton for anyone who lives within Galway city and its outskirts. In addition one person who gets a Galway United player delivering his/her pizza will receive a family pass to the next Galway United match and vouchers for Papa John's pizza. The winner will also be photographed with the Galway United player who arrives with the pizza.

Speaking at the launch of the new initiative Pat McDonagh, managing director of Papa John's, said: "As sponsors of Galway United Papa John's will do as much as possible to help Galway United connect with their fans. The club highly values their supporters and all they have given Galway United down through the years. Papa John's is helping the team give something back with this initiative in recognition of the time and energy given by Galway United supporters."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The standard is appalling, terrible to watch.

Tickets are pricey too imo for the spectacle on offer
    gd1987 wrote: »
    Poor quality football, its difficult to sit in the cold and watch it.

Utter nonsense. Shamrock Rovers nearly beat Real Madrid, St Pats recently beat a team from the 5th best league in Europe. The standard is really good, superior to the English league as live football is superior to televised football by miles. Obviously English football live in England would be better, but why pay 300 euro a trip when tickets are a tenner for games here.

Utter nonsense. Shamrock Rovers nearly beat Real Madrid, St Pats recently beat a team from the 5th best league in Europe. The standard is really good, superior to the English league as live football is superior to televised football by miles. Obviously English football live in England would be better, but why pay 300 euro a trip when tickets are a tenner for games here.
    +1

I cannot understand how somebody would save up to go to one EPL match per year when they could buy a season ticket for the same (usually cheaper) price. As for people commenting on the standard of LOI football, it's nearly always the person who has never seen live LOI football that says the quality is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

If there's one thing that's clear in this country its that nobody gives a **** about Irish football. They don't turn up and if they do its because Sunderland or some other well-known team come.

Galway United try their best. You hear advertisements on the radio, you see those posters everywhere but this stigma that the football is of poor quality is what kills the club.

We all visit the soccer forum and all we hear is "True Football" fans talking about how they know whats going on in the main clubs in Europe and they feel superior to the real people who attend matches and do their best to help the clubs.

**** MAINSTREAM FOOTBALL FANS. Ignorant bastards. /Rant

Something I've always found interesting is that fans of other(non-english) european clubs nearly always seem to have an interest in the LOI, whereas fans of english clubs convince themselves they are somehow different to the likes of chinese daytripping tourists at old trafford with scandalous associations like ''liverpool were founded by an irishman', 'arsenal were the traditional irish team'' ''actually it was manchester united''

here listen up if people actually bothered showing up to galway you could actually have a chance of being league winners and getting into champions league. the way the support is in the loi, a club that could manage to get 10,000 in a gate which galway should well be able to do would rise to the top.

irish people are usless when it comes to sport. the football culture here i despise. for many here football begins at the welsh boarder and stops at calais. a club isnt a 'real' team unless they wear a english soccer jersey or compete in latter stages of champions league. a blakcburn rovers 'fan' friend of mine summed it up when after the dynamo kyiv drogheda game he said 'would that mean proper teams in ireland' yeah because your ****ty english club are better than dynamo kyiv.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement