Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

yeehaw wrote: »
    The bet surely has to be settled on official attendance?

I'm not fooling anyone. I have no affiliation to any club in Galway. Indeed I have not been to a local soccer match for 4 years or so and that was to see Galway United in Terryland.

I do however, wish both Salthill and Mervue well. I don't understand the resentment towards them. Galway United, despite the best efforts of a few people, were a total shambles for the last few years. I don't see why anyone involved with GUFC wouldn't wish Salthill playing at Terryland anything other than good luck. Fair enough don't support them, but there is no need to sneer at them.
    "Official attendance", they're official, so they must be true.

I don't give a hoot about your "bet", I don't even know what you're babbling on about. I just can't understand why a club would falsify their attendances, from the outside looking in I guess they're trying to show that more people are behind them but the attendance confirmed by people actually at the game (even Salthill Devon officials) illustrates people won't be following this monstrosity.

You haven't been at a League of Ireland game in 4 years and yet you're so well versed on all the goings on in Galway football, you can't understand why Galway United fans would feel resentment.... I think you're a troll.

Why would I support a team that has literally stolen the shirt off our backs.

Also, FYI. I don't hold any resentment towards Mervue, I simply don't support them, as they do not represent me.

As for your last pathetic comment about Galway United being a "total shambles" for the last few years. Last year was an embarrassment. The previous years we were a competitive League of Ireland Premier Division side while Salthill Devon were getting hammered at home by Athlone Town on front of 50 people, finishing last two seasons in a row.

People like yourself thought changing your name to Galway, changing your jersey colour to maroon, changing your sponsor to our former sponsor, signing some of our former players, even trying to adapt our slogan was going to bring in the crowds. Fortunately, you're wrong, I couldn't be prouder of United fans. They know it's just a glossed up Salthill Devon. They won't be easily fooled, 170 at their first home game after giving out 600 free tickets, long may it continue.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

2 predictably emotional responses, neither of which make sense to me. The second one in particular is just all over the place.

Firstly, what is deluded about anything I have posted? I have offered a charity bet to one poster based on attendances. This has to be on official numbers. Can't rely on hearsay! Perhaps I won't see the numbers I thought I might, but I will happily pay up at the end of the season if that is the case.

With regard to the other points so articulately raised, am I mistaken in thinking that the FAI wanted a team in maroon in Terryland? And that Galway United as it stood did not fulfil the criteria to obtain a licence to play in the league? Would you rather Terryland, a facility that Galway United have no more claim over than Salthill or Mervue, sat idle? I don't see how the major sponsor of sport in the county throwing his weight behind the closest thing Galway has to a representative soccer club is a bad thing. As regards signing former players, should the likes of Mikey Gilmore give up football because Galway United no longer exists? Or should he play at the highest level he can? As he posted himself on the advertiser page, at least he is getting his wages this year. How many players did Galway United sign from Salthill or Mervue down the years?

I am not trolling or anything like it. I have been to many GUFC games over the years but I moved overseas a few years ago. I simply don't understand the negativity towards a group of mainly local players, playing in a ground that does not belong to any one club, sponsored by a local man with a passion for sport. Ideally, Galway United would still be there but they are not and that's that. The club was unsustainable, and there are plenty of guilty parties to point the finger at, including the previous board (one man in particular) and of course the FAI. As I said above, no one is asking or expecting fans of the entity formerly known as Galway United to support this new club, but less of the sneering would be nice.

My comment that the club has been a shambles for a number of years relates to off field issues rather than those on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

My comment that the club has been a shambles for a number of years relates to off field issues rather than those on the pitch.

Huh? Losing 20 games on the trot is surely worthy of being labeled a 'shambles' too?

SDG's next game will probably attract hundreds of Galway United fans to Terryland just to count the crowd thereby giving SDG their biggest crowd ever albeit by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

2 predictably emotional responses, neither of which make sense to me. The second one in particular is just all over the place.
    Yawn. Imagine! You got replies to the tripe you posted from Galway United fans, in a Galway United thread, shock horror :eek:.
    Firstly, what is deluded about anything I have posted? I have offered a charity bet to one poster based on attendances. This has to be on official numbers. Can't rely on hearsay! Perhaps I won't see the numbers I thought I might, but I will happily pay up at the end of the season if that is the case.
    Again, I don't give a toss about your bet. You can believe whatever you want to believe for the sake of your "bet", the simple fact is there was 170 people at the game, counted, you could say there was 1000 there for all I care, at least the people know what's what.

With regard to the other points so articulately raised, am I mistaken in thinking that the FAI wanted a team in maroon in Terryland? And that Galway United as it stood did not fulfil the criteria to obtain a licence to play in the league? Would you rather Terryland, a facility that Galway United have no more claim over than Salthill or Mervue, sat idle? I don't see how the major sponsor of sport in the county throwing his weight behind the closest thing Galway has to a representative soccer club is a bad thing. As regards signing former players, should the likes of Mikey Gilmore give up football because Galway United no longer exists? Or should he play at the highest level he can? As he posted himself on the advertiser page, at least he is getting his wages this year. How many players did Galway United sign from Salthill or Mervue down the years?
    No, you're not mistaken. The FAI did want a team in Terryland Park. Galway United didn't complete their licence application.

Terryland Park is property of the GFA.

You're nitpicking at my points, my intention was to point out through all these acts by Devon, to overtake Galway United, they have still failed. At the end of the day, Mikey Gilmore etc, couldn't give a crap who they're playing for, whether it be Galway United or Devon, they'll go wherever the money is at. I have no problem with that, that's football.

Not sure how relevant your last point is to be honest.
    I am not trolling or anything like it. I have been to many GUFC games over the years but I moved overseas a few years ago. I simply don't understand the negativity towards a group of mainly local players, playing in a ground that does not belong to any one club, sponsored by a local man with a passion for sport. Ideally, Galway United would still be there but they are not and that's that. The club was unsustainable, and there are plenty of guilty parties to point the finger at, including the previous board (one man in particular) and of course the FAI. As I said above, no one is asking or expecting fans of the entity formerly known as Galway United to support this new club, but less of the sneering would be nice.

Well, perhaps now, after I spelt everything out for you and spoon fed you, you might have some indication why Galway United feel negative towards Salthill Devon, probably not though, another tedious post is imminent, no doubt.

I think your last point is naive in the extreme, "no one is asking or expecting fans of the entity formerly known as Galway United to support this new club". Of course Salthill do, why on earth would they have done all of the above?! They're trying to increase their reputation, increase their attendances. Why else would they change their name to Galway? Why wouldn't they continue as Salthill, playing in Drom on front of 50 people. They saw an opportunity to capitalize on Galway United's absence from the League. Unfortunately for them, football fans are smarter than most people think. Galway United have the backing of a large amount of junior clubs (not all, I think some people over estimate the support of Junior clubs to an extent), Salthill do not, why would a West Utd fan, or an Oranmore fan support Salthill Devon? They won't, and neither will Galway United fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I simply don't understand the negativity towards a group of mainly local players, playing in a ground that does not belong to any one club, sponsored by a local man with a passion for sport. Ideally, Galway United would still be there but they are not and that's that. The club was unsustainable

The negativity is towards the people at Salthill Devon that are responsible for this abomination.

Eamon Naughton, a Salthill Devon man, is the chairman of the League of Ireland. He was the main driving force behind excluding GUST from the licensing process. GUST want a club that represents the whole city and county and had backing from so so many around the county, including the man currently sponsoring SD Galway. GUST were not denied a licence, GUST were not even allowed to have their application considered. All the ****e that was parroted by the FAI about a late application was no obstacle to clubs they bent over backwards for in the past.

The man currently sponsoring SD Galway would probably not have done so if he knew the whole story.

The FAI did not want GUST, the league chairman particularly did not want GUST. He wanted his own crowned as kings of Galway. It has also been alleged that GUST were excluded as the FAI faced legal threats from the directors of Galway United.

The whole lot of them are rotten to the core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Same civility rules that apply in Soccer Forum also apply here.
    Please be civil toward one another and also the teams/managers/etc.
    Thx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Whats the position with Galway United now, is GUST applying for a licence for next season,are there public meetings planned or how will it work ??
    How do the FAI assess the application and is it subject to a vote...

As a GUFC supporter since 1990 it would be great to get a team back to follow, hopefully it will be only one season out. I dont think it makes sense to alienate or knock Salthill or Mervue or their players/supporters in the meantime, the city ideally needs a united:Dfront and team playing for it with the backing of all...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

347 was not the official attendance, but a guess by a report on another website -extratime.ie. One of the head coaches confirmed to me that the attendance through the gate was 233 with exactly 64 people paying in (35 wexford supporters counted).

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

i was giving my estimate based on what i saw for myself on friday and based on what some club members had told me,also they did get a bigger attendance than previous fixtures against youths in drom.i will not be bothered to lie to angry gufs fans.there were other people up there from other junior clubs just saying as some posted that there wouldnt be.i think gust or other united supporters need to push their point of view further with the fai.i really think the fai are the problem here.salthill devon did not ask for this to happen and know they will not be getting support from the majority of gufc supporters.the reason that salthill devon entered loi football two seasons ago was to give the youth set up in the club a reasonable level of football to aspire to,it was assumed in the club that this would always take place in drom.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

I too blame the FAi for the whole mess, but I have to ask myself also, why didn't salthill just say no to the so called "FAI DEMANDS"? There was no chance of them being kicked out of the league for it. Mervue wouldn't go along with them and they are still working away fine !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

howyanow wrote: »
    salthill devon did not ask for this to happen
    Eh, yeah they did.

347 was not the official attendance, but a guess by a report on another website -extratime.ie. One of the head coaches confirmed to me that the attendance through the gate was 233 with exactly 64 people paying in (35 wexford supporters counted).
    which head coach is this?i was there myself and you def over estimated the away fans.there were about twenty university students who were competing in the intervarsities so maybe if your including them you are right.your total figure could be close enough but i was told 170-200 paid in.also there were parents of u12 teams there too so i think 300 is probably about right.
    we'll see which way it goes.probably around the 300 mark i think myself.
    are there any 1st division clubs that are likely to bring support with them?cork,derry,shels brough good numbers before promotion.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Eh, yeah they did.
    they most certainly did not.fai approached mervue and salthill with this plan.

I too blame the FAi for the whole mess, but I have to ask myself also, why didn't salthill just say no to the so called "FAI DEMANDS"? There was no chance of them being kicked out of the league for it. Mervue wouldn't go along with them and they are still working away fine !
    maybe the fai made it worth they're while to go along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

howyanow wrote: »
    they most certainly did not.fai approached mervue and salthill with this plan.

Via the chairman of the league maybe? You are not fooling anyone

CiaranC wrote: »
    Via the chairman of the league maybe? You are not fooling anyone
    not trying to fool anyone.clearly its gust and united fans who have been fooled.
    im assuming that you are accusing eamonn naughton who has nothing to do with salthill devon whatsoever of being the main culprit in the rebranding of devon into sdgalway?if so ,gust should bring this up with the fai,put pressure on them because it will be difficult for them to return to the league unless they kick up a real fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I offered the bet to celty and he can still take me up on it if he likes. I need an average of 680 according to another poster so 347 is not a bad start. Onwards and upwards.

A very cheap shot by the Advertiser to take a photo of an empty car park. Some of the comments on the facebook posts were pretty pathetic, coming from people of should know better, some of whom have posted on this thread.

Thanks yeehaw ... if you were like Paddy Power I reckon you'd be paying up already

I wasn't in Terryland last Friday, but I believe there were barely 200 there and Mervue's attendance the previous weekend hardly bettered it. That's the whole point of a lot of us here ... United, who represented the city and county, were getting 600 in the gate, week in, week out, even going through their worst run in history last year.

Mervue and Salthill (or SD Galway FC, which I find embarrassing) just cannot attract the same fan base because they are 'parish' clubs.

Anyway, try not to lose too much sleep over the €100 ... I won't go chasing you for it. But maybe you could make a donation to GUST if they are still in place at the end of the year and trying to get the show back on the road

Was it really a 'cheap shot' to publish a photo of the empty car park? Whenever I drove up to Terryland last year, the car park was always full 20 minutes before each United game. It's hardly too important in the greater scheme of things, but it does show how quiet the place has become on Friday nights of 'home' games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

brutes1 wrote: »
    Whats the position with Galway United now, is GUST applying for a licence for next season,are there public meetings planned or how will it work ??
    How do the FAI assess the application and is it subject to a vote...

As a GUFC supporter since 1990 it would be great to get a team back to follow, hopefully it will be only one season out. I dont think it makes sense to alienate or knock Salthill or Mervue or their players/supporters in the meantime, the city ideally needs a united:Dfront and team playing for it with the backing of all...

GUST are working towards having a team in the league next season in some form. GUST are still running the GUFC under-19 team for the remainder of this season and will be applying for the next under-19 season as well.

As for public meetings, I would advise you to check www.galwayunitedfc.net and www.facebook.com/gustfc for updates.

Reading this thread makes me just wonder......

• Advertisement

Reading this thread makes me just wonder......

I was quite disappointed Gilberto that you had no problem whatsoever with the theft Devon are attempting.

Erm, Gilberto ... this thread is called 'Galway United' not 'Galway soccer' and certainly not the abomination that is SDG or whatever they are called this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The Connacht Sentinel disputes the official attendance figures issued by SD. The reporter estimates the figure to be 200. The report also suggests that some Galway United fans are 'misguided' with their preoccupation with SD playing in Terryland.

Methinks the moderators on Boards should set up separate SD and Mervue threads.

I was quite disappointed Gilberto that you had no problem whatsoever with the theft Devon are attempting.

Who said I've no problem?.

For starters they were already there, so wasn't a swap per se.
    And secondly there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it for at least another year so there's no point getting involved in any disputes.

This will sort itself out, won't be won any other way sadly:(

Paddyfield wrote: »
    The Connacht Sentinel disputes the official attendance figures issued by SD. The reporter estimates the figure to be 200.
    They actually said "not less than 200 and no more than 300". This estimate is inaccurate. Salthill Devon officials along with a number of people in attendance, including Wexford people said it was less than 200. One person actually counted the number of people and came up with 170.
    The report also suggests that some Galway United fans are 'misguided' with their preoccupation with SD playing in Terryland.

He is completely unqualified to report on the situation as he clearly hasn't a clue about it.

Meh, they can say what they like, it doesn't change anything. Galway football people were clearly not fooled. Their attendances will only get worse.

Who said I've no problem?.

You said it to me personally ages ago, that as long as they were wearing maroon, you didn't care, or words to that effect. You seem to have seen sense, so fairplay to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It doesn't have to be up to the moderators to set up separate threads. Should any user feel the need, they can do it themselves.

You said it to me personally ages ago, that as long as they were wearing maroon, you didn't care, or words to that effect. You seem to have seen sense, so fairplay to you.

When the idea first came about, there were rumors the team would contain a lot of ex-GUFC(proper ones like Murphy etc... not the lads from last year like Oscar etc) and I might have gone to a few games while we had nobody else.

Also it was more of a ''I might'' but as things panned out, it was a ''no''.

Such a pity Papa John's were fooled by it. I know they have no motive beyond supporting sport in Galway, but if they knew who the real driving force behind the Salthill Devon Galway venture was, they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Advertisement

120-130 at Mervue v Athlone tonight according to one estimate. The disgrace that is football in Galway continues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement