Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

From all that I've heard since Ian Foster resigned, it seems that Tom French is the front-runner for the job.

I don't have much knowledge of who might be interested from outside Galway, but the wages we can offer them, the low playing-budget and a demand that they must move to Galway will rule many out.

Still, at the same time, we are a one of just 10 Premier Division teams and as far as I know, the only one with a vacant managerial post.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Wouldn't like to see Tom French as manager myself. I've nothing against him but he just seemed to be rarely involved in the dugout compered to Ian Foster when he was assistant. Tony Mannion seems to be the favourite amungst the fans although he has a pretty decent job within the FAI atm and I am doubtful that he would leave it to take up what would be a lower paid, difficult job.

Somebody earlier asked about Jayo. He's been on the bench the last few games after impressing in the reserves matches of late so hopefully he'll get some runout in the near future.

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Tony Mannion seems to be the favourite amongst the fans although he has a pretty decent job within the FAI atm and I am doubtful that he would leave it to take up what would be a lower paid, difficult job.
    He isn't in the running for it.

Tom French is as qualified as Foster was when he took over and also, French runs a business with someone, so he wouldn't be relying on United to supply his sole income. If he can act as assistant manager, I'm sure he can give his time to manager also. He seems to be well liked by the United players and in sporting circles around Galway.

I'm not knocking Foster, but his lack of knowledge and dismissive attitude towards local football would have been a problem this year.

We'll have to find the best local players we can dig out for the new season. Very few players worth signing will want to move west.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

Closing date for applications is this week. Interviews will be held at the begining of January, 2010.
    Good crowd (approx 200) at the Paul McGrath/Ray Houghton night at the Salthill Hotel.

Season tickets remain on sale at pre-Christmas discount prices. For further information, call the Galway United office at (091) , or Ronan Coleman at (087) . Season tickets also on sale from the GUST stand at the Galway Shopping Centre, Headford Road, on Wednesday evening (5.30pm - 9.00pm).

Former United player Gary Deegan has signed a three-year deal with Coventry City.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

El Mullo wrote: »
    Former United player Gary Deegan has signed a three-year deal with Coventry City.
    Its actually and three and a half year deal :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

29oo386.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

gufcfan wrote: »
    29oo386.png

Galway United are in the Champions League!!!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Galway United are in the Champions League!!!?!
    Don't even joke about that! That's such a class prize. I'll have to enter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JP561530

Hi, anyone know of any club that does footie for 4 year-olds?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

JP561530 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone know of any club that does footie for 4 year-olds?:rolleyes:

No. In fact they struggle with 24 year olds as it is.

Seriously though, what part of the city are you in?

• Advertisement

Mervue United, Salthill Devon, Hibernians, Knocknacarra FC, Renmore, would be amongst the more active underage clubs in the city. Power Soccer are also a reputable soccer coaching academy for kids in Galway.

I'm sure that all of them would advise against any form of structured coaching for a four-year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

People can purchase tickets for the Champions League Draw at the Galway United Supporters Trust season ticket stand in Elverys Sports next Saturday and every Saturday for the month of January.

As mentioned before, there are some excellent prizes along with the chance to help out your local League of Ireland club.

1st Prize : Two Category One Tickets to the Champions League Final (including flights and accomodation). Bernabeu Stadium, Madrid, 22nd May 2010.

2nd Prize : Two Nights Deluxe Stay at Marriott Johnstown House Hotel. Dinner in the Pavilion Restauraunt and two Spa Treatments.

3rd Prize : Two tickets to a Manchester United Premiership match at Old Trafford in 2010.

New manager has been appointed.

Official announcement at noon tomorrow (Monday).

I presume that you got your information from www.galwayunitedfc.net, a post there is incorrect. The second round of interviews are today (Sunday), there is a press conference scheduled for 3.00pm on Monday.

El Mullo wrote: »
    a post there is incorrect.
    Something is wrong on the internet?

omg-cat.jpg

I know as well you not to believe things I read on the internet, but it doesn't mean I can't have a bit of fun annoying people at the same time. ;)

Further interviews held today, apparently the successful candidate will be announced on the 8.00pm sportnews on GBFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Sean Connor is the new Galway United manager.

United supporters can meet Sean at a press conference in Supermacs, Eyre Square, tomorrow at 3.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Who is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tribalarmy

Good appointment, he has plenty of experience. Time for the Galway public to stand up and be counted and get behind their local side. It will be a tough season so Sean and the players need as much support as possible to stay in the countries top league.

Season Tickets are at a great price and the more that are sold the bigger budget the club will have.

Adult :
    €150
    Concession : €90
    U-12 : €40
    Family : €260

Season Tickets are on sale from the Galway United office at (091) 767336, and from
    Ronan Coleman at (087) 6972823. Tickets will also be available at the GUST meeting in Fibber Magees on Tuesday, 5th January (6.30pm), and from the GUST stand at Elverys, Galway Shopping Centre on Saturday, 9th January (11.00am - 5.00pm).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tribalarmy

Mike... wrote: »
    Who is he?

He was the Dundalk manager last season where he guided them to 5th place in the league. Before that he managed our Connaught rivals Sligo where he got them promoted from the first division and then they finished 5th in the top flight the following year. He also managed Bohemians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Good, experienced League of Ireland manager. Hopefully he'll be able to sign some decent players now.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

tribalarmy wrote: »
    He was the Dundalk manager last season where he guided them to 5th place in the league. Before that he managed our Connaught rivals Sligo where he got them promoted from the first division and then they finished 5th in the top flight the following year. He also managed Bohemians.

cheers man, I know sweet fa about LOI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Press Conference to confirm Connor as manager at 3 today in Supermacs in Eyre Square....what a joke!! HA HA HA

Press Conference to confirm Connors as manager

Blackie Connors? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Press Conference to confirm Connor as manager at 3 today in Supermacs in Eyre Square....what a joke!! HA HA HA

Why is this a joke? Papa johns are one of Galway Uniteds main sponsors. Surely you do not expect the club to waste money on hiring out a premises just to present our new manager to the fans and media. Of which majority of the fans i'm sure would have eaten in papa Johns / Supermacs at some stage of their life. Would you perfer the G hotel and prawn sandwiches:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

was that an expected outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

sean connor is a clown. i feel sorry for galway united

INPHO_GalwayUtdPC_09.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement