Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IELTS exam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jockey#1 wrote: »
    No I don't think so as I recently found out myself :mad: You need to get at least 8 in ALL four components to get 20 points. You get 10 points for at least a 7 in ALL four components, anything less than that and it 0 points!

Yeah that right, my bad I didnt see the 7/9.

You need at least 8.0 across the board for 20, funny how on other forums many native english speakers count up their points and they always award themselves they 20 points before they actually do the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

No I don't think so as I recently found out myself :mad: You need to get at least 8 in ALL four components to get 20 points. You get 10 points for at least a 7 in ALL four components, anything less than that and it 0 points!

So even though I got 8.5 out of 9 overall I only get 10 points because I got 7/9 in the reading?

That sucks. At least I only needed 10 points.I would be seriously annoyed otherwise

@zweton: I think It says on the form that it is valid for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Sucks alright. It's just a money making racket really especially for native speakers. I appealed the result as I really do not want to waste another four hours of my life doing the test again. Appeal costs $176 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2010jc

Sucks alright. It's just a money making racket really especially for native speakers. I appealed the result as I really do not want to waste another four hours of my life doing the test again. Appeal costs $176 :eek:

I'm in a similar position myself. Got 7.5 in the writing section. I don't know whether to bite the bullet and do the whole thing again or appeal the result.
    Did you get your new result? Any idea on the percentage of results that change?
    The woman on the phone couldn't/wouldn't 'give out that information' to me.
    I was told it would be 6-8 weeks for the appeal result. (I'm in Melbourne)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

zweton wrote: »
    anyone know how long the ielts is valid for once you sit it?
    I think its valid for 1 year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

2010jc wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position myself. Got 7.5 in the writing section. I don't know whether to bite the bullet and do the whole thing again or appeal the result.
    Did you get your new result? Any idea on the percentage of results that change?
    The woman on the phone couldn't/wouldn't 'give out that information' to me.
    I was told it would be 6-8 weeks for the appeal result. (I'm in Melbourne)

Well I was told the only chance of getting an improved result is in the writing section so fingers crossed they will give me the extra half a mark! I only appealed last week as I was home in Ireland for the last three weeks and the result sheet was in Melbourne. Hopefully it will be faster than 6-8 weeks. I was also told unofficially that one in four get their mark increased, how true this I do not know. If you apply for the test again you will probably be waiting at least four weeks anyway as they test dates fill up very quickly! Good luck whatever you do :D

Well I was told the only chance of getting an improved result is in the writing section so fingers crossed they will give me the extra half a mark! I only appealed last week as I was home in Ireland for the last three weeks and the result sheet was in Melbourne. Hopefully it will be faster than 6-8 weeks. I was also told unofficially that one in four get their mark increased, how true this I do not know. If you apply for the test again you will probably be waiting at least four weeks anyway as they test dates fill up very quickly! Good luck whatever you do :D

I think I'll chance the appeal. The test process was a pain, I don't fancy wasting another Saturday doing it again! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Got my results today 8 in listening 8.5 in reading 9 in both writing & speaking overall 8.5.
    For those doing it pay attention during the listening they only play it once & the hard stuff is at the end.

2010jc wrote: »

I think I'll chance the appeal. The test process was a pain, I don't fancy wasting another Saturday doing it again! Thanks.

I got the results of my appeal. I was moved up from 7.5 - 8 in the writing section which is great. I get refunded the appeal fee also.
    My immigration agent said it's pretty rare to move up so I'm pretty happy!

Advertisement