Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G vs HSDPA ?

• 07-05-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a LG Arena and have had a data bundle added to my O2 account. When im not using any data type services the symbol on my phone reception generally says 3G but when i connect to my email it usually says H (according to manual this is HSDPA).

Is HSDPA better/Faster ? Am I using the correct service ?

The only other problem is i cant seem to make video calls , is HSDPA not supporting this on O2 ?

All help appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

HSDPA is the next step up from 3G. It is a faster service. Can be up to 7.2mb where normal 3g would be rated at 384kbps. You are still using the right service, it will be out of the one allowance. It may more so be the area of network where you are, you wont see the HSDPA in a lot of areas.

The video calling is most likely a different matter, might need to check settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

HSDPA is to 3G as GPRS is to 2G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Dankoozy wrote: »
    Not really an accurate comparison ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Dankoozy wrote: »
    It would be more accurate to say HSDPA is to 3G as EDGE is to GPRS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i don't think that o2 support video calls, so that is the most likely reason that isn't working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

no video calls on o2 yet, anyone know why not?:(

I see some of the new phones are coming HSUPA compatiable, do any of the networks support it, Sony C510 on o2 & 3 for example...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

no video calls on o2 yet, anyone know why not?:(

I don't think they'll ever support it. Seems they just don't think it's worth the investment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

what investment would be required, there 3G network should support it and so do a lot of their phones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

what investment would be required, there 3G network should support it and so do a lot of their phones...

The hardware might support it but features like that are often sold and licensed separately. The code for the feature would be there but it would be disabled without the license. And the license would have to be renewed. That and they'd have to support it which also costs money (ie testing it on each new model, troubleshooting, upgrades etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

there are also specific network nodes that are needed, adding more cost (+ additional support etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mr.S wrote: »
    You acutally want to use Video calling?

Apart from the initial, oh thats kind of cool, it really is pointless:D

Defo,, i rarely ever used it, and it cost me the same amount as a normal call!

Advertisement