Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens recommendations?

• 07-05-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting some new glass in the not too distant future and am seeking a reasonably affordable F2.8 or F4 zoom lens (up to around 300mm) that I'll be using with a 1.4 or 2.0 (if I get an F2.8) teleconvertor. I'm not sure that a 300mm prime would suit, so I'd prefer the zoom. To keep costs down,and to get more bang for the buck ,I'll probably be purchasing secondhand. I'm currently using a Nikon D80, but hope to upgrade to D90 or D300 soon.
    Anyone got any recommendations?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Try here, if this doesn;t suit then keep an eye on this site, new ads added all the time..http://www.gumtree.ie/cgi-bin/list_postings.pl?search_terms=+F4+zoom+lens+&posting_cat=2236

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Thanks I_Pearce.:) I've been watching a few lenses on the net lately but i'm unsure about which would best suit my needs.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think Sigma have a 70-300mm f/2.8 lens. Might be worth checking out. I think there have been previous posts on boards about this lens.

Thanks, Paul...I'll do a search on on that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Paulw wrote: »
    I think Sigma have a 70-300mm f/2.8 lens. Might be worth checking out. I think there have been previous posts on boards about this lens.

Which the 120-300 has replaced?

Nforce if you find info on that lens could you post a link here?Would be interesting to see as i've never seen one and google turned up nothing :P

Any chance you can define "reasonably affordable" for me that's €200-€300 the nearest to that is the sigma 100-300 reviews here

Which can be got for about €1000 not inc Import tax from HK

What about a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and an 1.4 TC?
    Would cost 500-700(Seen them for that on adverts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Which the 120-300 has replaced?

Quite possibly. I don't keep up to date with Sigma lenses.

So, I stand corrected. :)

Yep...the only Sigma lens that I could find was the 70-200mm F2.8. As regards price range.....up to ~€400. I've already got the Nikon 70-300VR 4-5.6, but whilst it's a great lens, it's not fast enough for me. I'm currently bidding on a nikon 80-200 F2.8 ED and while it won't have the range of the VR it'll be much faster (and sharper?) and I could always fit a 1.4x TC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Nforce wrote: »
    Yep...the only Sigma lens that I could find was the 70-200mm F2.8. As regards price range.....up to ~€400. I've already got the Nikon 70-300VR 4-5.6, but whilst it's a great lens, it's not fast enough for me. I'm currently bidding on a nikon 80-200 F2.8 ED and while it won't have the range of the VR it'll be much faster (and sharper?) and I could always fit a 1.4x TC.

Nikon convertor won't work on the 80-200

True, but the Kenko tc should,afaik?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sigma do the 120-300 f2.8 and its superb works well with a 1.4x tc too

• Advertisement

Cheers Borderfox...though that particular lens is a little outside my budget at 2k+ :o:pac:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Nforce wrote: »
    Cheers Borderfox...though that particular lens is a little outside my budget at 2k+ :o:pac:.

I have that lens as well. Very impressed with it. Conns have a second hand one for €1499 also.

Advertisement