Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Game Endings - Spoilers

Options
  • 07-05-2009 6:12pm

So yeah, this thread is obviously going to contain spoilers, so read/watch at your own peril.

What are the boardsie's favourite game endings?

For me the best are:

Grim Fandango - it just tied everything up so perfectly and really, really made you want more

In hindsight, it really was one of the best adventure games ever made.

Dead Space - Creepy, creepy, creepy.

If I think of more, I'll edit this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Obvious one but brilliant none the less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Panzer Dragoon Saga and Panzer Dragoon Orta

Two amazing endings. PDS is a little ambiguous but Orta finishes it off in a way that is both heartbreaking, joyful and ultimately totally satisfying.

Couldn't find saga in english.
    Poor Azel never did find Edge in the end but managed to become more than just a drone by creating orta with her dna and edges. Orta also found out she was more than just an artificially built weapon.

Suikoden 2

The ending you get when you don't get all 108 stars of destiny is probably the one that fits the theme of suikoden 2, the destruction caused by war, the best. Can't find a youtube video but basically
    it ends with your step sister having died trying to protect you and having you best friend die in your arms at the place were you both got separated and leading to you's fighting on different sides of the war.

Shadow of the colossus

This one has to get a mention. No videos, if you haven't played it do yourself a favour.

Super Metroid

Quite possibly the most cinematic last fight in a videogame ever and an absolute masterpiece of minimalist storytelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnoOYoOAcw0

(youtube pic was a bit spoilery)

Final Fantasy VI

Screw the FFVII ending which tried to make up for the fact that it was a last minute rushjob by being ambiguous. FFVI always did it for me.
    Nothing special but there was something sobering watching the cast coming down from kefka's tower-y place after defeating him. They may have killed one of gamings best bad guys but the whole world was practically destroyed and they had to help rebuild it

Will think of more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

+1 for super metroid

the Nod ending in the first command and conquer ruled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Final Fantasy VI

Screw the FFVII ending which tried to make up for the fact that it was a last minute rushjob by being ambiguous. FFVI always did it for me. spoiler] Nothing special but there was something sobering watching the cast coming down from kefka's tower-y place after defeating him. They may have killed one of gamings best bad guys but the whole world was practically destroyed and they had to help rebuild it [/spoiler]

Will think of more.

Not to mention the brilliant ending theme which incorporates all of the main character's themes into one song.

I liked the ending of the Futurama game:
    Fry, Bender and Leela travel back in time, defeat the last boss and end up getting crushed to death. The opening cutscene is then repeated, showing the Professor sending their past selves off on the adventure that will eventually get them killed, meaning the entire game is a repeating time loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The ending of Mafia was brilliant.

Never saw it coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

elekid wrote: »
    Not to mention the brilliant ending theme which incorporates all of the main character's themes into one song.

I liked the ending of the Futurama game:
    Fry, Bender and Leela travel back in time, defeat the last boss and end up getting crushed to death. The opening cutscene is then repeated, showing the Professor sending their past selves off on the adventure that will eventually get them killed, meaning the entire game is a repeating time loop.

hi what console was this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

hi what console was this on?
    PS2 and Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

MGS4: I mean, I almost cried.

CoD4:
    Hit the chopper with the RPG on the way to the bridge. Use cheats of necessary

CoD5: Just a good ending. Real sense of achivement knowing
    you ended the war by placing the Soviet flag on the Reochstag

And Silent Hill 2 Dog ending

And Portal. Brilliant ending

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I almost cried at the end of MGS4. I'd wasted time playing that piece of **** and actually sat through those 3 hours of innane dialogue and dreadful story writing. What a POS.

As for Silent hill 2 I agree but I'd have picked the ending I got:

It suited it the best out of all the endings especially with how bleak it is. What a masterclass of storytelling. I wish the rest of the series was as abstract in it's storytelling instead of being a creepy monster story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Freespace 2 - The proper ending, when you willingly stay behind and protect the transports, sacrificing your own life.

System Shock 2 - Finally managing to kill Shodan (best villiant ever btw), only for her to come back to life in one of the few survivors of the Von Braun.

Half Life 2 - 'Time Dr. Freeman?' (1.50 onwards)
    [

Portal - 'The only thing you've managed to break so far is my heart'

Cant think of any others right now as im pretty pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Not quite the ending but an awesome reveal - I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thought FF6's ending was poor myself.

The massive song was nice enough.

MGS4's ending was bottled a little. Then again if he had done it then it would have meant we knew what was going to happen since the main title loaded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ico and shadow of the colossus, youtube doesnt do them justice, you got to experience them for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Secret of Mana, while not on par with half the RPGs of its day, still holds a special place in my heart, from the moment
    you realise the Sprite WILL disappear. Then after you defeat the Mana Dragon, you go all over the world with the Girl, searching for your lost friend.
    And after all that, you see his/her ghostly form, sitting on a tree & looking at the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Holsten wrote: »
    The ending of Mafia was brilliant.

Never saw it coming!
    You didn't? Haven't you ever seen a Mafia-related movie? ;)
    The Mafia always get their guy...

Just when I though I was out, the pulled me back in!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Cant believe anyone hasnt talked about the huge twist half-way through bioshock... That was bloody epic like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

The ending to vagrant story was brilliant.
    Ditto the 'bad' ending to project zero 2. It was just :eek:
    The Darkness' ending was brilliant too.

0ubliette wrote: »
    The ending to vagrant story was brilliant.

Forgot about that. Also one of the best openings ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

vagrant story graphics haven't aged well..

vagrant story graphics haven't aged well..

Hmm, can't really agree with you. I think Vagrant Story is one of the best looking 32-bit games. The models are very low polygon but the art direction is great especially on the enemies and characters despite the enviroments being a bit boxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

more recently the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game ending. Maybe it was made so much sweeter as it was the ending I was actually hoping for in the movie, that I never got :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Super Mario Kart, who doesnt love that big fish on the trophy podium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I was actually pretty impressed with the ending of Final Fantasy VIII.
    Thought the music was pretty good throughtout the game and certainly the last song as well.

FFVIII's ending was technically impressive but letdown by the fact the storyline was utter garbage and by the end you were beyond caring or even bothering to get your head around the mess of 'time compression'.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Defo the Grim Fandango ending, nice happy ending. We need a sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

True the storyline to Final Fantasy VIII did lose the run of itself but there was a lot of good stuff surrounding the time compression.

The fight scene that kept changing location was great.

Better leave it there else we digress too far for the main topic...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFVIII's ending was technically impressive but letdown by the fact the storyline was utter garbage and by the end you were beyond caring or even bothering to get your head around the mess of 'time compression'.
    The day's not complete for me if i dont see at least one FFVIII rant from Retr0gamer :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Most recent favorite has to be COD4, the perfect action ending to the perfect action game. The
    helicopter chase through the tunnels and along the road
    was adrenaline pumping brilliance. Then I remember just shouting "Give me a ****ing gun!!" when that baldy guy and his soldiers showed up and started
    executing the team
    . I find it hard to think of another game situation in any title where firing an entire clip from a handgun felt so good. :D

Defintely the best ending in a while in my book, can't wait for Modern Warfare 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Advertisement