Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco NI Prices in Letterkenny

Options
  • 07-05-2009 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been in yet and noticed any difference? haven't been in myself yet but a few people have said its definitely cheaper and the product range has changed also. Would it be enough to make you change from ASDA etc?
    Dont know if they should be congratulated for the change as it just proves the rip-off of the past, but it is still welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Will it not just create a second border as such. e.g. people in towns in the midlands doing their shopping in towns nearer the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Well it would be better than people going into the north, at least its keeping jobs and generating tax.

I'd say there will be huge pressure on them to make the changes to all IRL shops, if the shops around the border create more profits from this change, they might. But their reason for doing it was the proximity to the north and the loss of customers, not a genuine effort to cut cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Shows how we've been taken for a ride the past 10 - 15 years.

Why didn't they introduce these sorts of prices before now? Thats why cost of living and wages spiraled out of control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭digital pimp

TESCO use price banding
    whichs means they taylor prices on the basis of the wealth of the area
    so different tescos have different prices in different stores
    asda have one price band for all their UK stores, which is why they are cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

TESCO use price banding

Or in this case on the basis of distance from the border.

Can they legally sell the same products at different prices, or do they sell diferent brands?

• Advertisement

yes
    they can charge whatever they want

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

TESCO use price banding

Would that mean that Tesco's in Letterkenny before the changes was cheaper than a Tesco's in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 madalig

I actually think that no one should go and shop there now, i actually think we should be protesting outside it, they now stock their shop from suppliers in england, you cannot get irish products from there eg. local milford bread for example, meaning irish people will be losing their jobs! Like they couldn't have cut into their 3 billion profit and take a small hit for a while instead of what they did. <SNIP> :mad:

Mod edit: careful with your choice of words please.

Senna wrote: »
    Would that mean that Tesco's in Letterkenny before the changes was cheaper than a Tesco's in Dublin?

you could go to 5 different tescos across Ireland, or even 5 different stores in Dublin, and prices can vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

you could go to 5 different tescos across Ireland, or even 5 different stores in Dublin, and prices can vary.

You know the same can be said in good old - not so sunny Glasgow. City centre prices in Tesco and more affluent areas are much higher than in the suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

madalig wrote: »
    I actually think that no one should go and shop there now, i actually think we should be protesting outside it, they now stock their shop from suppliers in england, you cannot get irish products from there eg. local milford bread for example, meaning irish people will be losing their jobs! Like they couldn't have cut into their 3 billion profit and take a small hit for a while instead of what they did. <SNIP> :mad:

I dont think they have stopped selling irish produce. Its still there but its beside the cheaper international produce giving people the choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

You could say its a disgrace, that people in supposedly more afluent areas have to pay more. Or you could say its a good thing that people in allegedly poorer areas get lower prices.

But I'm sure they're making a tidy profit either way.

Do you think that if the majority of shoppers crossing the border were heading for Tesco rather than Asda they'd have lowered prices in the border areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyone been in to the Letterkenny store yet and have they noticed any appreciable difference in the pricing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

All the big stores have for years squeezed Irish Suppliers and this will be little different, except they will have a better PR spin this time.

Having said that, in recent months Tescos in letterkenny was very quiet and today, very busy again.

Undoubtedly, their profit margin won't be suffering. Local businesses took initiatives to reduce prices, particularly in Pubs and restaurants at their own expence, I'd imagine tescos will change range and suppliers to make sure they aren't suffering.

Apparently they plan to or are building a store in Strabane near the bus station and I'm sure one hand knows what the other is doing in their case.

Having said that compare Centra and supervalu, supplied and owned by same company, lorries etc and there prices for same items are different in stores in same town... All these companies work on profit margins, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

TESCO use price banding

Sorry, but have to disagree about one price everywhere in ASDA. In my hometown - Ellesmere Port, near Liverpool, which is an industrial town in northern england, the prices are cheaper than in the ASDA store in Bromborough, five miles away, which is a bit more upmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

madalig wrote: »
    you cannot get irish products from there eg. local milford bread for example
    Milford bread hasn't been made in Milford in many years! I think it comes from Co Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

I nipped into tescos yesterday to pick up a few things, it still cost over €40 for 2 small bags, still a rip off. Some things were cheaper but not all, the range seems to have got smaller aswell. Still going to be Asda for me. Too little too late tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Have to agree with bob z there, tesco decided to stock 6 or7 of their border stores with mostly stock taken from their english warehouses, the thing that was an eyeopener for me was that the government are ripping us all off so badly on everything we buy cos tesco can transport english goods into our shops and be cheaper than the shops stocked with irish goods

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Have to agree with bob z there, tesco decided to stock 6 or7 of their border stores with mostly stock taken from their english warehouses, the thing that was an eyeopener for me was that the government are ripping us all off so badly on everything we buy cos tesco can transport english goods into our shops and be cheaper than the shops stocked with irish goods

Not sure how it is that its the government ripping us off here in this instance, would it not be an indication that its the Irish distributors charging a higher price/Taking a bigger cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Not sure how it is that its the government ripping us off here in this instance, would it not be an indication that its the Irish distributors charging a higher price/Taking a bigger cut.

I dont who is ripping us off but someone is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We are almost equidistant from L'kenny and Strabane; Asda it is for us unless we need L'kenny for other stuff.

Noticed that Tesco is no longer 24/7 also.

Our loyalty is to ourselves.

Advertisement