Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points going up or down

Options
  • 07-05-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

From what I've been told, and a number of discussions with friends and teachers, we came to the conclusion that with all this recession malarkey, that points for the majority of courses will (fingers crossed) fall.
    In my year I reckon there are at least 20/30 girls out of 160 now not planning on going to on University. A couple have sought apprenticeships and quite a large number applying and hoping to get placements in PLC courses, instead of going for degrees.
    This is a big increase from previous years, and some have said it's just the money, so in that case how does it look on the points side of things?
    Do you reckon it will fall for many courses?

Comments

I thought this myself. Imagine how great that would be :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Lets hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

will points plummet if fees come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Yeah had a slight freak attack the other night when I realised my lowest course on my CAO is 370! I know it might not sound high to some of you, and like I got higher in the mocks, but just had a moment of panic that I might have a bad exam or something might happen!
    Let's just hope points go down!
    People start praying! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Frank3142 wrote: »
    will points plummet if fees come in?

Depends. A course like Medicine probably not. But in other courses there'll be people who couldn't afford to go to college if they had to pay. I'm not sure how many (I've always heard that free fees has benefited the middle classes most) and it should also depend on the course. My advice is don't count on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 eoinkk

do you tink architecture in ucd will go dwn much!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

I really thought the opposite... Like, I get it,because of the fees...but I thought that more people would encouraged to go to college because of the recession.
    To weather out the storm, as it were.
    It's not like we could get jobs if we didn't go?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

I wouldn't count on the points going down...In my opinion, more people will want to go to college because there's less jobs, they can also seek financial assistance through grants, college assistance schemes ect. Also when you look at it students will end up going to colleges closer to home, cheaper, less rent, bills ect...
    I myself am considering transferring to a college closer to home to finish off my degree...So I can move back home again...
    Don't count all your eggs in one basket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I would think level 6/7 will go down a good bit alright, but not as much moving in level 8 courses me would think.

Its kinda impossible to tell tbh though

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

well this year in our school there is at least 35 out of 45 that will be going on the 3rd level, which is the highest percentage to ever continue on from our school! i have read however, that the level 6/7 will be the ones that will probably get the biggest increase, many people who would have continued on to do a trade/apprentice are now not, because of the recession and will instead go on and do a course for a few years until things improve etc! but i would imagine in general that more people are going to be going to college, a teacher told me that this year the cao had the most amount of applications ever, wheter thats true or not i dont know!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

a teacher told me that this year the cao had the most amount of applications ever, wheter thats true or not i dont know!:rolleyes:

Yup, check this out!

http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

ah bless i knew she wouldn lie!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

looks like everyone wants to be farmers next year! Architecture and Construction way down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

well I know my course (yes I will be a farmer) got 50% more applicants this year,so all I can say is OH! SHI*********!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

aine-maire wrote: »
    I really thought the opposite... Like, I get it,because of the fees...but I thought that more people would encouraged to go to college because of the recession.
    To weather out the storm, as it were.
    It's not like we could get jobs if we didn't go?
    candy19 wrote: »
    I wouldn't count on the points going down...In my opinion, more people will want to go to college because there's less jobs, they can also seek financial assistance through grants, college assistance schemes ect. Also when you look at it students will end up going to colleges closer to home, cheaper, less rent, bills ect...
    I myself am considering transferring to a college closer to home to finish off my degree...So I can move back home again...
    Don't count all your eggs in one basket!!

Agree with above, points will go up not down imo

Thanks for that
    well I know my course (yes I will be a farmer) got 50% more applicants this year,so all I can say is OH! SHI*********!!!!!!!!!

Man that sucks. Bus for me has gone down but only just

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

:O applicant numbers have gone up by over 2,000 for level 8's alone!! That's mad!!
    Scary Sh*t!

Advertisement