Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Gyms

Options
  • 07-05-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Ok

My memeber ship is up and Im thinking of joining a city gym.

Im into doing some runnung, cycling, a few weights and a swim afterwards

where is the best gym
    Wilton, City center area

and good valvue for money also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

IMO the Mardyke Arena is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Call the Kingsley this moring €1000 per year for single membership

ouch .....
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

tech wrote: »
    Call the Kingsley this moring €1000 per year for single membership

ouch .....
    :mad:

ouch is right! seriously, haven't these places been hit by the recession?? Maybe they have and this is the pathetic way they see the way to survival. Don't give them a penny.

Why not take to the nice outdoors for your running, there are plenty of nice spots around the city, the Marina for example is excellent for running.

Then head to leisureworld for your swim after and some weights, you can pay as you go.

€1000 is a totally rip off in these hard times?

€1000 is a totally rip off in these hard times?

I went in with a mate to check this place out a few months ago and my sense was that they want to separate themselves from the rest and appear to be the top end gym in Cork and / or cultivate an aura of exclusivity. Wouldn't offer a free 'try out' session as they don't want the 'great unwashed' cluttering up the place.(my words but their clear meaning) Got a bit huffy when I pointed out that their facilities in terms of fit and finish were only on a par with good(ish) gyms in other cities and nothing particularly special.
    Was in the hotel a few months before that for coffee and it was the worst I'd ever had by a wide margin. Was a first for me, sending a pot of coffee back and refusing to pay for it! Altogether, not a hotel that I feel drawn to revisiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

The Clarion is a good enough gym. But it is pricey, 1200 or so if your on your own or 600 each for a couple. But only 630 if your a student. I used my old student card which was still in date.

It's a grand gym. Very nice pool(18m) and good sauna,steam room and jacuzzi. For running there's loads of tread mills. I prefer to run out the Marina on a nice day and use the Gym to shower/change. There's rarely a machine not available. good free weights also. They used to give free towels, but now you have to rent them for 50c which is lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I use the Mardyke and it ticks all your boxes. I can't remember the price but the family membership we have works out ok for us. Then again we use the gym at least twice a day so any gym is going to be good value for us. The only thing I don't like about the Mardyke, is that I feel the pool is poorly managed. There is too much emphasis on children's lessons and OAP sessions and very little encouragement for serious swimmers. If this is not important for you then go for it. I often see them showing people around so you should go in and have a look for yourself. If you've any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Hunnymonster......I've not been to the Mardyke for a few months....have they done anything about cleanliness in the pool changing rooms? Showers and common areas used to get pretty disgusting by evening time.

+1 on the lack of room for serious swimmers. I tend to try to time my visits for slack periods, otherwise when its crowded, the three lane lap system is a bit inadequate.....I'm forever gettin kicked by dickheads.

whats leisure world like? is it always to busy ? Does any know is the Mardyke very busy at 7am??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

• Advertisement

ok ! :) and your point is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I moved to Cork a few weeks ago and I am currently deciding between gyms too. At the moment I'd like to Join Leisureworld Bishopstown. Nice friendly atmosphere there, about €700 for the year. Decent facilities (€2m overhaul last year). Doesn't get too crowded (actually, I don't use the pool, so I don't know about that).

Sticking point for me is the joining fee, I don't want to pay it. I told them that other clubs have waived it but they're not budging. Actually, if you pay all up front (as if), they will. But for direct debit, you've to pay it.

Bit annoying having to pay a one-off fee, on top of monthly charge, for the privilege of being a member.

That said, I think it's a decent place.

yeah this €100 joining fee is a joke in this day and age. Its a pity non of the gyms open at 6am

The Kingsley does but its €1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

yeah this €100 joining fee is a joke in this day and age. Its a pity non of the gyms open at 6am

The Kingsley does but its €1000

I'm pretty sure other places have just largely absorbed their old joining fee into the regular rate. But any place that blatantly leaves it there as a separate charge can only expect carping from people trying to join.

Sanovita
    Single €690 + €100 Joining
    Mardyke €640 no mention of joining fee

no movement on the €100 joining fee with Clarion :(

Aye, joining fees annoy me too. Not one gym that I've asked has ever been able to justify this.

Incidently, as a UCC student, even part-time, you get membership of the Mardyke included as part of your course fees.

Some courses are grant assisted to around 40-50% by FAS, so, for the sake of argument, if a course cost €1200 for a year, FAS pay around half and you get membership of a gym & pool included. Was the case with my masters degree last year. Struck me as a bit of a good deal, if you're interested in up-skilling too :D

sounds like a plan!

can i do a FAS course by nite and get my member covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Max001,It has improved somewhat but still not perfect. They do however now have a duty cleaner now so I tend to complain on my way in if things are not clean and it's done by the time I'm finished swimming. They have 4 lanes in the morning now and whenever there's nothing else going on in the pool. Still no lane discipline enforced though. You'll get the bluerinse brigade happily breaststroking in the fast lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi tech

I was member of the Jury's fitness centre on Western road and mr sf still is a member. I was very happy with it: very clean everything, not the biggest pool on earth- 18m but very, very nice. clean sauna, jacuzzi, and steam room. don't know much about gym equipment but it seems ok + loads of free classes (aerobics etc - never tried myself). I think mr sf paid app €550 for 2009. or sth like that, and they give discounts for ucd staff, families etc. and you can use the hotel's parking for 2.5 hourse
    sf

re 550 paid by mr sf - I might be wrong here (it looks bl**dy cheap reading back the other comments), anyway you can find out if you call them - 021 4222 444
    cheers
    sf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

In the Clarion the Toilets a banging, sometimes blocked and won't flush. Maybe this is to do with it being in the basement. Basement Jacks always seem to stink. But they have had a broken shower for about 3 months and a lot of the promises they made at the agm have yet to be attempted for 2009. If it wasn't so close to my work I would be going somewhere else for sure. The staff are sound out tho...

Advertisement