Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usage Limit 5 GB enough for frequent downloader?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am not asking for myself but for a friend who is looking for a new internet provider. He is not sure how much he needs. Obviously he has an offer with an attractive price but the usage limit is only 5 GB.

As with every website visit and email traffic he will use up from this 5 GB and he likes to (legally) download movies or music, he is worried how far he can get on those 5 gigs.

Does anyone have experience and would you say that it is still sufficient if you download a lot or should he take the bigger option? Say, how many MBs do you need for normal surfing and how many does a movie have?

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

it really depends on how many movies he downloads, if he is using bit torrent sites, seeding files etc. I was on bt with 5mg monthly limit and very rarely went over it.
    I would suggest he install net meter or something similar and watch his traffic for a while.
    Also afaik the majority of bb providers will allow you to increase your product without any administrative charge etc.
    So I'd suggest, start off low, monitor, and adjust upwards only if necessary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A usage limit of 5GB, this usaully means combined total traffic up and down......... which is absolute crap for anybody who downloads even the odd movie. An average pc user would use that just surfing.

What provider?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A usage limit of 5GB, this usaully means combined total traffic up and down......... which is absolute crap for anybody who downloads even the odd movie. An average pc user would use that just surfing.

What provider?

slightly exaggerated statement maybe! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sourwine

What provider?

NTL, the Broadband Basic pack

I take it back, 5 g is pure Sh!te, for some reason my brain was reading this a 50 gigs...sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Debunker

Not in the slightest.:pac:

Not exaggerated, 5GB total traffic is very easily hit with just one pc, consider surfing including kids looking at Youtube, Google Earth, videos on Bebo pages etc, Windows and AV updates etc etc. I downloaded a patch for a game last week that was 500MB, an average .avi movie is 700MB.
    5GB isn't much

an average .avi movie is 700MB.
    5GB isn't much

Ok, quoting the movie size helps, I will let him know. Knowing that, 5 GB seems indeed to be less that he needs. Guess he will go for the bigger package then.

Guys, thank you! I never expected to get help so quickly!

A better question is if NTL enforce their limit on this package, most providers allow a little over. Although my limit is 50GB per month on Eircom, I average 80-100GB per month and have regularly hit upto 135GB+ without an email.

@ PogMoThoin: Don't they upgrade you then and take more money from you? If you frequently over use your limit I can't imagine they give it away for free? How are you charged for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

You'd need between 10 to 15G a month and that's without mad downloading

sourwine wrote: »
    @ PogMoThoin: Don't they upgrade you then and take more money from you? If you frequently over use your limit I can't imagine they give it away for free? How are you charged for that?

No, they don't charge, they don't enforce their limit at all, never have. But this is Eircom, not sure what NTL's situation is with this, but I'd doubt they'd be that strict when some of their 20mbit customers are downloading 200GB+ per month, bigger fish. Somebody with this package might post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I do about 20G a month. We have no rapid$har3 or torrent5

Most days about 300M to 500M. Occasional 2G or 3G days.

If you where a heavy downloader 5G wouldn't last a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

For an extra €3 would he not triple his speed, and quadruple his usage limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Why not go with the value pack. 3Mb and 20 gig allowance a month for €22. As said above a film is usually at least 700Mb with many being over a gig. A TV show is about 350Mb. An album at a decent bit rate weighs in around 70 - 100Mb. I'd easily do 5Gig in a day. It's a very low allowance if he intends downloading music and videos.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

5GB is fine for the average joe soap, not any good for heavy downloaders though

All, I just texted him and he said that he will probably take something else, above 5 GB. Thanks again for the "councelling" on this :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not exaggerated, 5GB total traffic is very easily hit with just one pc, consider surfing including kids looking at Youtube, Google Earth, videos on Bebo pages etc, Windows and AV updates etc etc. I downloaded a patch for a game last week that was 500MB, an average .avi movie is 700MB.
    5GB isn't much
    Vista service pack 1 can take up to 547MB
    and if it fails to install it's recommended you clean up the temp files and try again, straight away you are over 1GB
    IIRC the latest dotnet service pack is about 350MB and office 2007 packs are similar and Acrobat reader will have about 20-80MB for it's nearly monthly one too. All this stuff downloads in the background too so you don't notice it creaping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I just installed FPGA SW for a development board and it does not come with it. It's a 4G download :(

Advertisement