Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Playoffs

• 07-05-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

Bury and Shrewsbury on Sky Sports 1 at the moment. My cousin is playing centre mid for Bury so hope they win. Anyone else watching?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hmmm...forgot it was on tonight. I'll keep an eye out. Must study some more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Own goal of the year looks to have given Bury the win. Extremely funny see it if you can. Come on Bury!

Can't have been bad as Djimi Traores Burnley effort could it? Just as I turned off they scored...typical!

Lobbed his own keeper :D well the keeper did get a touch. It scraped off his forehead. I couldn't believe it.

Wow Shrewsbury really should've scored in the closing stages of this one. They missed some fantastic chances but I don't care. My cousin might be going to Wembley! just a shame I can't go because of study for the god damn leaving cert :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Is that young Barry-Murphy lad still playing for Bury, his father was a good athelete in his day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is that young Barry-Murphy lad still playing for Bury, his father was a good athelete in his day

yup scored their 1000th goal too

Liam O wrote: »
    Wow Shrewsbury really should've scored in the closing stages of this one. They missed some fantastic chances but I don't care. My cousin might be going to Wembley! just a shame I can't go because of study for the god damn leaving cert :mad:

No way you'd be able to make it over? Its on a Monday isn't it though? not as if you'd miss much at that stage of the year, specially if ya came home that night. Obviously your parents may beg to differ, but the one time I didn't do something for LC(Muse at wembley, even though during it), I regret it so much now. See what the parents say, they may go too. Not everyday you have the chance to see family playing there, in that sort of match.

EDIT: should also say if I had one, it'd have made no serious change to my result, as I wouldn't have done any worse by going. So thats the moral of that story.

Mushy wrote: »
    No way you'd be able to make it over? Its on a Monday isn't it though? not as if you'd miss much at that stage of the year, specially if ya came home that night. Obviously your parents may beg to differ, but the one time I didn't do something for LC(Muse at wembley, even though during it), I regret it so much now. See what the parents say, they may go too. Not everyday you have the chance to see family playing there, in that sort of match.

EDIT: should also say if I had one, it'd have made no serious change to my result, as I wouldn't have done any worse by going. So thats the moral of that story.

is league 2 final not on the sat? we always miss the championship one cos it s bank holiday there and not here.

http://www.wembleystadium.com/events/majorevents/league2playoff.htm

yup on the sat

dreamers75 wrote: »
    is league 2 final not on the sat? we always miss the championship one cos it s bank holiday there and not here.

I think they changed it around last year, so the pitch would be in best condition for Championship on the Saturday. I remember having to miss most of Bristol-Hull last season for work, and that was a Saturday.

EDIT: League 2 will be on the saturday this year. Definitely re-call something bout moving that to Monday though. Championship on Monday too! Apologies.

• Advertisement

never seen a championship play off final :o

I've seen one in full....was devastated. Being a Leeds fan, guess which one I saw?

yeah pretty cool guy too. Met him while I was over there. My cousin won their player of the year though in his first season. One thing I've noticed though is that the league does have good players but the teams lack technical ability, especially at the back. Everytime somebody in the back 4 gets the ball they just hoof it up the pitch and hope somebody gets on the end of it. A lot of excitement though...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mushy wrote: »
    I've seen one in full....was devastated. Being a Leeds fan, guess which one I saw?

Don't think we need reminding of that disaster!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Don't think we need reminding of that disaster!

giggle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Just over 24 hours until The Mighty White Yorkshire Gods totally humiliate those soft southern fairies Millwall on their own patch :D

Should be a cracking game, can't wait!

Fancy preston to win the champo one outright, should be a decent game tonight.

Champo playoffs are like a little premier league :p

Just over 24 hours until The Mighty White Yorkshire Gods totally humiliate those soft southern fairies Millwall on their own patch :D

Should be a cracking game, can't wait!

As nervous as hell for it already. I need to do work for my exams, but can barely do that.
    Fancy preston to win the champo one outright, should be a decent game tonight.

Champo playoffs are like a little premier league :p

Yeah, love the Championship playoffs(except when Leeds lose...sorry King, promise thats the last time). And also love the underdogs doing well. Would like to see Preston or Burnley go up.

Preston 1-1 Sheffield United

Scunthorpe 1-1 MK Dons

EDIT: Roll on the big one tomorrow, 12.45 K.O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I was just after arriving in Santa Ponsa the year Leeds lost the Championship playoff. I watched the match in a bar while having dinner with my mates - two Man United fans and an Arsenal fan. You can imagine how much that hour and a half hurt. Thankfully it was lovely weather and a heavy week of drinking and man whoring followed to sooth my pain.
    I have a good feeling this year though even if cup finals are a sore point with Leeds. BTW to any Chelsea fans who are still pissed of about Wednesday, losing a European Cup final to a blatantly corrupt ref trumps going out in the semis to an incompetent one.

• Advertisement

getting tasty in the leeds game, dont see 22 players finishing this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Poor defending by Naylor is punished by Harris. 1 - 0.

Boooooooooooooooo!

And now the playoffs turn towards Turf Moor tonight. Burnley vs. Reading, 5.30 pm KO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

anyone else see Bikey for Reading? I'm expecting a GIF in the non too distant future :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

That was some tantrum he had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Voltwad wrote: »
    anyone else see Bikey for Reading? I'm expecting a GIF in the non too distant future :D

Beat me to it, major lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Hope someone does it, I dunno how =/ but my god that was funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Funny yes but the man is a total joke. He has gone from pushing over Ghanayan medical staff to giving away the most outrageous pen and then undressing himself, lol.

All lol's aside, i hope that idiot Bikey doesnt deny Kevin Doyle his rightful Premiership place. And also, a note on Jimmy Kebe who i thought was so stupid its unbelievable, 3 times he was 2v1 where all he needed to do was square the ball and he tries to dribble and showboat, he cost Reading the game along with Bikey, why was Hunt not on the pitch???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

C'mon Burnley! its retro to see them and PNE last night, the old men of League football, fighting to get into the PL.

Boo Reading.

• Advertisement

Watching the second leg of Reading vs Burnley on Sky now. Expecting a whopper encounter. Because the Championship playoffs second leg games are usually whopper encounters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Reading players who are not playing:

Kevin Doyle
    Stephen Hunt (bench)
    Noel Hunt
    Dave Kitson (bench)
    James Harper
    Graeme Murty
    Glenn Little
    Andre Bikey (muppet)

That is ALOT of 1st choice players not playing. I dont think they have enough to do it. They are playing quite well though but they have no final 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

WHAT. A. GOAL.

Chris Paterson puts Burnley 2 - 0 up on agg after 50 mins with an astonishing 30 yard dinger. Amazing goal.

Loooooooong way back for Reading now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

keano_afc wrote: »
    WHAT. A. GOAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I feel ill right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is so sick.

Stevie Thompson puts Reading to the sword with another cracker - this time a looped shot on the bounce from outside the area that goes in off the underside of the crossbar.

Those Cup runs are standing to Burnley right now. They've been great tonight, just great.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I feel ill right now.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    This is so sick.

If you punted Reading I really have no sympathy for you. Two truisms in the Championship playoffs:

- teams that miss out on automatic promotion on the last day of the season tend to struggle;
    - teams that stuck a cup run together during the season tend to do well;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you punted Reading I really have no sympathy for you. Two truisms in the Championship playoffs:

- teams that miss out on automatic promotion on the last day of the season tend to struggle;

Nah, he's a Blackburn fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

As a Blackburn fan i shouldn't want Burnley to win,

But you want to play your fiercest rivals on as high a stage as possible,

Last time was in the cup, and before that the championship, it is a derby fit for the Premiership stage,

2 wonder goals tonight have the possibility of that a step closer

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Nah, he's a Blackburn fan.

Oh, of course. That slipped my mind completely. Ah well, you can look forward to two big derby games next season!!

Anytime I've seen Shane Long this season, he has looked like a beaten docket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

7/2 on Burnley before Kick-off was an incredibly good price imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Iago wrote: »
    7/2 on Burnley before Kick-off was an incredibly good price imho

Stating it when there 2-0 up is incredibly pointless imho

Theres a more telling truisms

Reading havent scored since march :eek:
    Have not won at home since feb or somfin :eek: << not a truism as such more a closeism

Hopefully Doyle moves on 2 ex Saints in the premier league :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Stating it when there 2-0 up is incredibly pointless imho

fair point, but I wasn't home and online before it started and only saw the thread when browsing.

Probably came across as a bit self-congratulatory so I'll balance it by saying that Celtic -1 also seemed like great value at the time :D

Theres a more telling truisms

Reading havent scored since march :eek:
    Have not won at home since feb or somfin :eek: << not a truism as such more a closeism

Hopefully Doyle moves on 2 ex Saints in the premier league :cool:

January was when they last won at home, against Wolves. There in deep trouble now aswell, Coppell will mostly likely leave as he knows now his whole squad will get be gutted. I can see them losing Hanamen(sp), Duberry, Ingimarsson, Lita, doyle, hunt and glen little at the very least. If coppell leaves and all the big stars leave even the smaller players might get itchy feet.

In sayin that it's a great chance for Mick Mccarthy to up the irish quota. I'd certainly love to see doyle back in the premiership and under McCarthy, I'm a terrier like Hunt would definitly interest him aswell.

Anytime I've seen Shane Long this season, he has looked like a beaten docket.

i felt sorry for him tonight, they keeper just kepting hoofing the ball up to his head, if that was going to be the tactics all along stick Kitson on from the start, but even when kitson went on it seemed to find it's way to Long. In saying that he's not a natural goalscorer and never will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

How did McCann play? Sheffield Utd have Stephen Quinn there and a couple more Irish but I'd still prefer to see Burnley go up. I think McCann has most potential at that level.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    How did McCann play? Sheffield Utd have Stephen Quinn there and a couple more Irish but I'd still prefer to see Burnley go up. I think McCann has most potential at that level.

Solid, saw better from him in some of the cup games. Looks a very tidy and composed player - he can't be that far off the likes of Whealan and Andrews.

• Advertisement
Advertisement