Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is waiting to watch it all in one go, cheating?

• 07-05-2009 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

A lot of my friends are waiting until the series is over to watch it.

My thinking is that as the cliffhangers are a major part of the show they are kinda losing out (or saving themselves).

What do ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The best part about lost is waiting for the next episode and talking about it online and with your friends. If you sat down and watched the whole thing without doing this, there's loads of stuff you would miss. I think it's a rubbish idea to be honest.. If I were you I'd get them to watch the series thus far this summer. Then get them to watch the last series at it airs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Its how i got into Lost in the first place. I watched session 1 over a couple of days. I was strung out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

i did this for the last season, i was home in Ireland and my wife was in the US, we decided to avoid the entire season to be able to watch it together, very rosmantical I know!! We had a great time, 2 days pizza, beer and lost!

i do like the speculating and trying to figure out theories which you lose doing it that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Its how i got into Lost in the first place. I watched session 1 over a couple of days. I was strung out on it.
    I think a lot of people did this which is probably why season 1 is held so highly by many people. When you watch a serialised show back-to-back you tend to glaze over the weaker episodes and appreciate the whole.

But as [-0-] said you miss out on the discussion and theorising. But there are advantages and disadvantages to that. One of the negatives is that you tend to come across spoilers and learn more about an episode in advance of watching it. You start to form theories and expectations and are disappointed when they don't come through.

For that reason I think the OP is right to wait until the end. I know people who watched season 1 to 3 over the course of several weeks and loved every second of it, minus all the pissing and moaning that us fans were doing during that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I know people who watched season 1 to 3 over the course of several weeks and loved every second of it
    Yep, 1 more here. :)
    Every time there was a cliff-hanger, I'd smile to myself and think "Not for me! next episode please...".
    I don't enjoy waiting a week to find out what happens next... if I was reading a good book, I wouldn't put the book down just as something big was kicking off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I didnt watch it till either "Flashes before your eyes" or "Enter 77", around that time. Went out & got the 3 dvds then watched the whole lot over a couple of weeks to fill in the blanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

A lot of my friends are waiting until the series is over to watch it.

As in all 6 seasons?

You lucky, lucky baastard :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

I think watching it all in one go is just the best way, but i would suggest you watch the last season on tv as normal. You'll get the full reward of watching it back to back from season 1-5 and then when the final season starts up you will not be dissapointed , it will be too much of a roller coaster season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I watched seasons 1-3 over a couple of weeks. Watched seasons 4 + 5 live and must say its more exciting watching them as they air. The cliffhangers/discussion threads are a major part of the experience imo.
    Although, watching loads of eps is also very enjoyable !!!!!
    Gutted that this season is just about over.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

I am absolutely hooked on Lost and have avidly watched every episode since I began following it in mide series 2. But I never saw any of series 1. I intend filling the gap between series 5 and 6 by watching all the first 5 series on DVD. I guess that Sky and maybe RTE will do something similar before Series 6 begins - probably an episode a night in the run up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

FredBloggs wrote: »
    I am absolutely hooked on Lost and have avidly watched every episode since I began following it in mide series 2. But I never saw any of series 1. I intend filling the gap between series 5 and 6 by watching all the first 5 series on DVD.

Jaysus, that Kate & Hurly sex scene from Season 1 is going come out of nowhere for you.

Watched Season 1 recently and it really is class telly. I had started to take so many of the main characters for granted or found them annoying and secondary to the story I had forgotten that they WERE the story. If season 1 wasn't so good at peaking my interest I actually doubt I'd still be watching now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The only show I've watched in one go was Alias; I started with the first few seasons and bought the rest as soon as I got into it. It was a really strange way to watch a show in some regards, like cliffhangers (which they used do every week at the start) didn't mean anything because you could just watch another episode. Lost is more episodic in nature, but when the cliffhangers come, they are generally doozies, and you might find yourself having a later night than you intended from time to time! It was also a bit of a shock when the last episode aired, because you had been investing a lot of time in a show that was suddenly over, with no 3 week hiatus like you're used to with ongoing shows. I also agree that nowadays, being part of the internet hype is a great part of these shows, but if you're like me you soon realise that spoiler sites are the spawn of satan and are to be avoided at all costs if you want to enjoy the show as it airs; this problem may also arise if you've already heard some of the storylines (the Hurley shower scene springs to mind...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I firmly believe that watching it while it's broadcast is far better then over the course of a weekend or in 1 big go.

Delayed gratification is a huge part of lost and watching it in bulk kinda takes that away. Would you really get as much say out of the phone call scene in the constant if you waited a few weeks as opposed to 2 years? I also think watching in bulk allows you to forget so much. I noticed when ever I see the finales, I can forget a lot of small details and scenes first time round. I can only imagine what it would be like watching 8 in a row or something.

I also love the theorising and discussing what happened in each episode. It adds to the excitement and hype. In terms of spoilers, I have never ever found any major spoiler in advance bar Michaels return. You kinda just have to know where to look and where not to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i hated waiting for a new episode contantly when watching 1, 2 and 3, watched 4 all in one go, and will watch 5 all in one go. Might re-consider for 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

Jaysus, that Kate & Hurly sex scene from Season 1 is going come out of nowhere for you.

Watched Season 1 recently and it really is class telly. I had started to take so many of the main characters for granted or found them annoying and secondary to the story I had forgotten that they WERE the story. If season 1 wasn't so good at peaking my interest I actually doubt I'd still be watching now.

Got Season 1 on DVD and am really enjoying it. And you were right about that Hurley and Kate scene - at least I now know what's in the guitar case he brought back to the island!!

Advertisement