Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from BT to Smart or to UPC?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

I know have Smart And UPC available in my area and at the moment BT are getting worse by the day. Im always syncing at 4mb when im on the 24mb package and im only 2.5km from the exchange. Even then that only equals 2mb-3.5mb speeds anyway and very very poor pings for gaming.

Now If i was to get smart or UPC I would be getting either the 20mb or the 24mb package off both of them. Which is better these days? I heard UPC are gonna be upgrading their lines to 120mb or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Is it SMART LLU or Bitstream? If it's LLU, I'd say they're both on a par. If it's Bitstream, go with UPC and hope you have a good cable connection!

I had UPC up to last week at my old address (new housing estate with brand new UPC cabling) and the connection was perfect for gaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

well its the blanch exchange so IIRC it is LLU....

Still undecided though... how good are UPC, Speeds-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well, as stated above, I was in the new part of Finglas in a new estate with brand new UPC lines and we always got full download speed. Always. We had the 10Mb package and our download speeds were always >1,180kbps.

It all depends on the quality of the service in your area. Would be nice if you could find people on here that have both UPC and SMART LLU in Blanchardstown to see what they think of their ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Depends on how far away you are from the Smart exchange.
    Smart is more reliable, but UPC if working probably would be better.
    With a good UPC connection you'd be at 16-19 pretty much constantly.

With Smart it depends on how far away you are from the exchange as I said.

internode-adsl2-distance1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

i have UPC and am on the "so called" 20Mb package.. it seems to work fine during the day but always after 5.30pm and up to about 1am the speed drops to approx 3Mb. its more than likely a contention issue :mad:

Smart LLU broadband has a contention ratio of 1:1 as they have their own infrastructure in selected exchanges so u would always be guaranteed full speed 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

As you are having issues with your current BT line it is logical to assume that the reason could be with your phone line so avoid using it and go with UPC

Advertisement