Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal cheque ok for France

Options
  • 07-05-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I have to send a cheque to France, its only for a small amount. Can I just send one out of my cheque book or does it need to be a special one?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK, you can send one out of your chequebook, but the person trying to lodge it in France will probably be charged commission for lodging it. You can get a Euro bank draft drawn on a French bank, which would probably be a better option. If you have the IBAN and SWIFT code for the person to whom you're sending the cheque, you can send an electronic transfer to them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Toots85 wrote: »
    If you have the IBAN and SWIFT code for the person to whom you're sending the cheque, you can send an electronic transfer to them for free.
    Possibly the best option.

You are happy that you trust this person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

AFAIK, you can send one out of your chequebook, but the person trying to lodge it in France will probably be charged commission for lodging it. You can get a Euro bank draft drawn on a French bank, which would probably be a better option. If you have the IBAN and SWIFT code for the person to whom you're sending the cheque, you can send an electronic transfer to them for free.

Thanks.

I'm actually sending it to a company and they only accept cheques. How do I get a draft drawn on a French bank?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Pop into your local branch of whichever bank you hold your accounts, they'll be able to do one up for you.

Pop into your local branch of whichever bank you hold your accounts, they'll be able to do one up for you.

Ok thanks. My bank is bank of Ireland. Do I have to pay for one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

You will have to pay for a draft drawn on France, but as the company in France will have to pay commission to lodge a cheque drawn on your account they may pass this charge onto you anyway. The charge for a Euro draft in Bank of Ireland is E2.20.

sarahlulu wrote: »
    You will have to pay for a draft drawn on France, but as the company in France will have to pay commission to lodge a cheque drawn on your account they may pass this charge onto you anyway. The charge for a Euro draft in Bank of Ireland is E2.20.

Excellent. Thanks so much!

sarahlulu wrote: »

This is incorrect, €2.20 is the fee for a domestic Euro draft. The fee for a French Euro draft is between €3.80 and about €10 depending on the amount.

Advertisement