Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investigating Packet Loss

Options
  • 07-05-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm on the eircom home advanced package for years and it has been grand up till the last two months. These days i'm getting minute packet loss during non peek hours (~1%) which becomes increasingly severe as it becomes closer to peek hours and during peek hours (~15 - 20%).

I'd appreciate the insights of other people who may have tackled this problem.

I'm on the Caherdavin exchange in Limerick.

Line stats:
    Connection Speed: 7616 kbps 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation: 12 db 5 db
    Noise Margin: 14 db 12 db

Plugging everything out bar the ADSL router doesn't seem to have any effect practically or on the line stats. Same goes when switching sockets.

I've used two different ADSL routers, the eircom supplied one a Netopia 3341 and a Netgear DG834G with no noticeable difference.

It's not a PC problem as i've tried it with two different machines, an XP and a Fedora Core.

I've ran ping tests directly against the default Eircom gateway the router is using and it seems the packet loss is between here and there.

Any chance of getting Eircom to resolve this with a minimum of time and stress or is the most expedient solution to pack up and change ISP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Install the mtr package on Fedora. It works by combining ping and traceroute and will pinpoint packet loss.

Edit: WOW, just found a windows version, never thought such a thing existed
    http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/
    Edit 2, meh, not very functional, doesn't give hostnames or ip addresses of hops like in linux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could be a few things , noise on the lines caused by more people hooking up , line beginning to fail , electrical noise from dodgy CFL lighting etc.

Use MTR to suss where it is .

Use something that can pull SNMP data from the router and graph SNR from the router for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Try using VisualRoute trace route software, you can download a 15 day trial from here:

http://www.visualroute.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Alright here's some early results from my first go with MTR.

mtr1.png

Mmm that Loss% at the second hop can go as high as 30% during this evening:(

• Advertisement

A graph running for a day or two will help , i'll dig out a config file and post it up for MRTG

Advertisement