Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare scams again!

Options
  • 07-05-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I know there was a similar topic recently but is anyone else getting sick and tired of the welfare scams? I heard only last night of an acquaintance who recently stood down to part-time in order to qualify for rent allowance and lone parents, received a nice house and then moved in the other half. This sickens me as our family struggles badly to pay the bills and receive nothing, I know the father gets paid substantially more than my husband. Since January my self and my husband have been out twice. Another couple I know operating in a similar fashion just spent a week away in the sun, neither of them work and they have a lovely house!

All these extra taxes, levies and deductions in child care could be prevented if there were not so many people scamming the system. I was a single mother and never abused the system, I never even applied for rent allowance, why is this behaviour so acceptable? And why is it only the honest people among us are suffering so badly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It isnt a scam. Its the system thats lousy.

Its the government who have failed to put in sufficient structures within the entire welfare system to ensure the right people are getting the right assistance.

Inspection on occupants in council estates practicaly doesnt exist. But while FF were flush with cash they couldnt give 2-figs.

At all levels within the social welfare structure marriage is a big disadvantage. eg: 2 single pensioners get over €400 pw, a married pensioner coulpe get €300 etc.

Its hard not to blame the people availing themselves of this but its really the systems fault, a system thats so desperately in need of reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I know there was a similar topic recently but is anyone else getting sick and tired of the welfare scams? I heard only last night of an acquaintance who recently stood down to part-time in order to qualify for rent allowance and lone parents, received a nice house and then moved in the other half. This sickens me as our family struggles badly to pay the bills and receive nothing, I know the father gets paid substantially more than my husband. Since January my self and my husband have been out twice. Another couple I know operating in a similar fashion just spent a week away in the sun, neither of them work and they have a lovely house!

All these extra taxes, levies and deductions in child care could be prevented if there were not so many people scamming the system. I was a single mother and never abused the system, I never even applied for rent allowance, why is this behaviour so acceptable? And why is it only the honest people among us are suffering so badly?

If you know someone who is ripping off the system and you do not report them you have absolutely no right to give out about anything.

Please stand up or fnck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

If you know someone who is ripping off the system and you do not report them you have absolutely no right to give out about anything.

Brian Lenihan is ripping me off, who do I report to?

The point is, whole system is corrupt, expect nothing less.
    It starts at the top..please don't ever forget that.

Welfare scams are a drop in the ocean, really nothing compared to what the people running this country are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

ANYONE claiming Jobseekers benefit should be entitled to claim all their PRSI contribs back as their payment. If they have made 10 contribs, pay them until they run out, if they have paid 50,000 pay them that many. Thats why its called pay related social insurance. That way all the money you are paid by the DSFA will be rightly yours. If you are a foreign national only working here a few weeks/months, you will only be paid your PRSI for that time, after that you have to be means tested for Jobseekers Allowance. As it stands if you have paid less than 260 PRSI contribs you get 9 months of JB if you have paid more than 260 you get it for 12 months, even if you've been working for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

dresden8 wrote: »

Now that is a bit harsh isnt it? I have a right to give out about the fact that we pay taxes to support people who earn MORE than us!!!! How do you know I would not report?

Mind you on recent happenings with another acquantance being found out to be scamming the system and almost let away with it is there much point. Yes this person lost the lone parents payment but got to keep the house:eek: System is brutal! Once upon a time they did do spot checks, havent heard of them in a long time though and some of this new levy money could be well spent on things like spot checks, it would most likely free up a lot more money by taking undeserved payments off people.

• Advertisement

Now that is a bit harsh isnt it?

Yes it is so I withdraw it and apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

dresden8 wrote: »
    Yes it is so I withdraw it and apologise.

Why? If the woman sees someone scamming the way to fix it is to report them. Moaning on boards.ie will do nothing about it.

Shes ignoring her personal responsibility.

turgon wrote: »
    Why? If the woman sees someone scamming the way to fix it is to report them. Moaning on boards.ie will do nothing about it.

Indeed scammers should always be reported.

Apology was for the fnck off.

turgon wrote: »

And again who are you to say that I have not? The fact that I posted here was to highlight how commonplace it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

weiss wrote: »
    The point is, whole system is corrupt, expect nothing less.

Welfare scams are a drop in the ocean...
    I’m not sure what sickens me more; welfare fraud or the public’s acceptance of it.

Welfare fraud control measures saved the state almost half a billion euros in 2008:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2009/Pages/pr210109.aspx
    ANYONE claiming Jobseekers benefit should be entitled to claim all their PRSI contribs back as their payment. If they have made 10 contribs, pay them until they run out, if they have paid 50,000 pay them that many. Thats why its called pay related social insurance.
    I suggest you look up the meaning of the word “insurance”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I have a right to give out about the fact that we pay taxes to support people who earn MORE than us!!!! How do you know I would not report?
    Have you?
    Once upon a time they did do spot checks, havent heard of them in a long time though and some of this new levy money could be well spent on things like spot checks, it would most likely free up a lot more money by taking undeserved payments off people.
    You can wait for a spot-check to take place, or you can report the people in question to the Central Control Section of the Department of Social and Family Affairs. Details may be given anonymously, of you so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Anan

Thats why its called pay related social insurance. .

A friend of mine used to call this 'Pay Robbing Social Injustice' :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ANYONE claiming Jobseekers benefit should be entitled to claim all their PRSI contribs back as their payment. If they have made 10 contribs, pay them until they run out, if they have paid 50,000 pay them that many. Thats why its called pay related social insurance. That way all the money you are paid by the DSFA will be rightly yours. If you are a foreign national only working here a few weeks/months, you will only be paid your PRSI for that time, after that you have to be means tested for Jobseekers Allowance. As it stands if you have paid less than 260 PRSI contribs you get 9 months of JB if you have paid more than 260 you get it for 12 months, even if you've been working for 30 years.

In that case, they may as well just get a private income protection plan, or save up the money for a rainy day instead of paying it to the government. I'd agree with either because PRSI is just another tax IMO.

djpbarry wrote: »
    You can wait for a spot-check to take place, or you can report the people in question to the Central Control Section of the Department of Social and Family Affairs. Details may be given anonymously, of you so wish.

I am not waiting for a spot check. I am merely saying that once upon a time people actually were checked out. I remember when I was young it happening to a few peopl who were scamming, one girl I knew said she saw the woman come to the door and had to run around and pick up all her boyfriends belongings and hide them in a wardrobe before opening the door.

The reason I say that they were done is that I have not heard of anyone beiong spot checked in a long long time. I was spot checked when I was a single mother on my first child, even though I was living with my mother someone knocked at the door one day to ask questions. That was 7 years ago, I don't think they do that anymore.

Andto those talking about the PAYE, there is no issue with people getting what they deserve, or are entitled to, its the people claiming what they are not entitled to that causes the problems, half a billion is a LOT of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Welfare fraud is an unfortunate weakness of the the current welfare states that exist in Western Europe. It is human nature to try benefit oneselves at the expense of the wider society and this is found globally. Corruption and monetary fraud are certainly more prevalent in less developed societies in Africa and Asia but are also very common through human society. Its just reality that there will always be a significant minority of people who will try find ways around an inadequate system.

Ireland also has a back-hander/brown envelope culture especially in rural areas. The amount of shopping centres,housing estates, golf courses and cinema complexes developed on the back of corrupt rezonings is immense. The most popular party in the states history also shows the general public have a greater tolerance of corruption than the Anglo-Saxon countries and more akin to Italy, Greece et al. in that respect. Combine this culture of corruption with a work shy inefficient public service and you will get lousy enforcement of welfare fraud. That is the harsh reality OP.

True DJ although in increasing hard times I think less and less people are going to accept it. It has always been something that irritates me but only in recent years did I open my eyes to the effect it has on every individusl and with everybodys belts tightening hopefully more and more peole will report it.

It drives me insane to see people like this living a comfortable life whilst us hardworking people live by the penny. It just is not acceptable and more and more people should open their eyes and stop accepting it, and it is not just welfare scams that people turn a blind eye to, a completely different topic but child neglect often goes unre[ported because people always think, well someone else will say something. How do we know if someone else will say something, we have to take stand and do the job ourselves.

Advertisement