Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website

Options
  • 07-05-2009 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone,
    I've just got a new website designed, it's to do with college and college courses. The address is www.going2college.com Any feedback would be much appreciated! There are some teething problems that I'm trying to sort but if anyone spots any please let me know.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

The photos of the people are horribly pixelated and on the "My Rating" section the nav bar jumps down around 40 pixels for no apparent reason.

All in all, it looks quiet nice and the colour scheme and stuff it pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

That big image on the homepage serves no purpose in my opinion - The main item on the homepage should be the search box so that should appear much higher up the page.

Need to put in some About Us and Privacy Policy especially since people will be leaving comments on the site.

All the submit buttons are very bland - could do with some nice styling

The search by course/institution panel would work way better with some sort of Ajax predictive text. At the moment its very difficult to know what to type in i.e TCD or Trinity College

Other than that - good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Hi there,
    few small issues...btw I looked at this on Google Chrome, so maybe not an issue on IE or FF:
    -perhaps align the text boxes in the login section and make the the same size
    -the rollover for the contact button has no image (although this seems fine when i checked in FF?)
    -my ratings goes to bad login. On this page the login button is displaying on the right of the page, almost off screen

Again these were issues on Chrome.

Other than that, looks good. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I like the design. Few pointers though:
    - the logo is way too big.
    - the image of the four students takes up far too much of the homepage.
    - Maybe have the search function further up the page, or to the right of the image of the four students.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Not too bad but as others say:

- Logo way too big
    - Image on the page is taken up most of the view in my browser

By the way, good few HTML errors that you might like to sort:

Validator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

(Firefox 3.0.10)
    - If I select 'Register' or 'Guidelines', the rest of the menu items to the right move right slightly, and move back when I select any of the others.
    - The logo banner is taller on My Ratings than any of the other pages. The whole page also seems to move a few pixels to the right compared to the other pages
    - The username and password boxes aren't aligned. Also the 'Forgot username' link looks a bit cramped beside the Login button
    - the footer menu doesn't match the main one - and both 'Advertise' and 'Contact' bring me to the contact form, which is a bit confusing
    - just personal, but was a bit thrown by the complete change of colour scheme on the forum page compared to the others. Also, congrats, you've got your first spammer in the Academic Stuff forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Try it with your screen set to 800x600 or 800x480

Even on my 1600x1200 everything looked big enough for seriously visually impaired.

I can use it without my reading glasses too easily :)

Otherwise nice and clean. Never worry if people think bits of the style is "bland". Bland is often less distracting and more functional. Websites should NOT all look like "hello kitty" stationary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Positiverep

Thanks very much all ye're imput is very much appreciated!

Advertisement