Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what pet would ye recommend?

Options
  • 08-05-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

hey just wonderin if anyone wud be able to recommend a gud pet for me to get im renting a house in the west where i work and am livin wit two other lads we all work different hours and go home during the week we thinkin of gettin a pet for the house but i dont kno wat to get it would have to be small we were thinking a Terrapin but ive been lookin into them and they seem awful hard work and expensive so has anyone any tips or ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fella, with all due respect, you don't buy a pet for a house. Practically anything that is recognised as an interactive domesticated pet will almost certainly outlive the duration of you and your friends' lease on the property - so before you decide on an animal, you need to figure out:

Who'll own it.
    Who'll pay for it.
    Who cares for it.
    Who's taking it when you all move out.
    Who'll foot the vets bills for it.

If I read you rightly you're saying you all go home during the week - did you mean you go home on the weekends and the house is empty?

The only common house pet that is unlikely to suffer if you're away every weekend is a tankful of fish. They can be left with food to last them and they genuinely don't give a toss if you're not home. However, even they could suffer and die if the electricity went off, for instance, switching off their air filters and their temperature regulators.

Pets are fabulous fun, but they're also a LOT of work - even the little, seemingly hassle-free ones. I'd hold off to be honest, wait until you're living in a more stable place and you're going to be around more.

Still though - what's the reasoning behind you wanting a pet for the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

I don't know why but i've always wanted a pet fox..... Doubt you'd get one in petstop though

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

they seem awful hard work and expensive so has anyone any tips or ideas

unfortunately pretty much any pet worth having is hard work and most will cost you money.

even a tankful of goldfish need cleaning, equipment and feeding and can be tricky to maintain

how about some sea monkeys? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Dont get one it will just end bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

A pet stone sounds ideal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

How about a Brick. Jack loves them, you could to.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

terrapins €35+ filter€25+ water heater€25+ uv bulb €35+ uv bulb holder €25+ clamp lamp €35+ bulb €10+ terrapin food everyweek €10+ turtle bone and supplements €20 a month+ the 2 larger tanks he will need when he grows up add another €200 quid to that.
    depending on terrapin, most popular being yellow bellied slider or red eared terrapin which get to be the size of a dinner plate, dont forget trimming of claws and the medicine for when the eyes close up (common ailment).
    the idea of a pet rock/brick etc sounds good.
    dont forget your deposit is gone if you get caught by your landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hey OP,
    Get some bird feeders into your garden. I'm sure you have beautiful wild birds where you live looking for a safe haven. Its very rewarding for very little effort! No vet bills, cleaning or worrying when you have to leave. :) You will end up seeing birds you never knew existed!

Advertisement