Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower - broken pull cord

Options
  • 08-05-2009 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

When I switched my shower off yesterday by pulling the cord attached to the on-off switch on the ceiling, the cord came out! So now I've no way of switching the shower on... I notice that there are 2 screws on the switch and I was about to unscrew them to see if there's any way I can re-attach the cord or at least switch the power on. I'm just wondering what's in there and if it's safe to do this - ie unscrew the thing, I don't want to electrocute myself! It is turned off so I'm thinking it should be safe, but can't be sure.
    Would appreciate if anyone knows if I can go ahead?
    Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

absolutly not safe!!!! You need to isolate at fuseboard. I would still test carefully after isolating at fuse board (they can be mislabeled) No offence but even asking the question tells me you are not the person to be doing this. Call a spark. Reattaching the cord should only take a few minutes (if you didn't break switch) and you should only be hit with a callout charge.
    PS Electric showers use very high amp circuits and the potential for disaster is high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

Turn it off at the fusebox, take the cover off and re-tie the cord. If you're not sure which fuse, turn off the electricity supply at the main switch (you'll need to do it in daylight since all the lights will go out).

If you can use a screwdriver and tie a knot you'll be able to do it.

Cheeble-eers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Probably best to get a sparks. Some isolators wont allow you to re-tie the cord, if its an enclosed unit. So you would have to replace the switch and rewire the load and supply tails. Even turning of the mcb, should always confirm by checking for no voltage present.

Advertisement