Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature student- veterinary nurse

Options
  • 08-05-2009 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Iam looking into the veterinary nurse coarse as a mature student and was wondering would i need any experience in science and maths from the leaving cert to be sucessful? Iam aslo interested in seeing is there lads in this coarse or is it more suited for girls? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Najimco

Eh... I know a good few girls doing it, mostly cous they like horse and things like that.

The two guys I know doing it are cool but into guys and are doing it just for the whole I'm a nurse thing.

One guy lives up the road from me did it, don't know if it was in Dundalk or Dublin. Thinks he's George clooney, gotta save some puppies and pump some Iron! ladies love him. He is so Cash

Do it, Doubt you need too much experience... D.K.I.T for all intentional purposes is a gradual learning facility. you'll start at basics you wont be trown in the deep end.

Good look,
    Save the kittenz, Getz the wiminz!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

would 53 be too old to go to college to study veterinary nursing? is there many males in the profession, im long term unemployed just wondering if my age would be a disadvantage, i have no experience in this profession either but im looking for voluntary work with animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

This is quite an old thread so apologies in advance to mods.

You have to be 23 to apply as a mature student but there are no other age restrictions. It's more a question of being fit and active and able for a job that involves a LOT of bending, lifting, dragging, standing, pulling and carrying. Even if it's only small animals (boisterous dogs are not that small when it comes to restraining them!). So your knees and back need to be up to it.

The Irish veterinary nursing register is 95% female, 5% male. This recent report from the VCI gives a good overview of the profession: http://www.vci.ie/News/News-Items/Report-on-the-Veterinary-Nursing-Survey/

If you wish to apply as a mature student the first thing that will be looked for is evidence of time spent getting experience alongside registered veterinary nurses. Many people like the idea of being a vet nurse but the reality of the job can be very different. It's very important that you get as much experience in as many veterinary practices as you can, so you really know what you are letting yourself in for. It's hard work for often low pay, but can be very rewarding if it's the right career for you.

The college open day in October is a good opportunity to come along and talk to staff and students in person and ask them any questions you might have. The course is really really popular, with typically over 100 applicants for 5 mature student places, so just be aware that it's very competitive to get in and it's a good idea to have a plan B also.

Best wishes with whatever you end up doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

thanks whistlejacket thats great. not too concerned about wages. although i do need to eat and pay bills etc but i do have a passion for this type of career
    thanks

Advertisement