Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future road projects would come to an end if..

• 08-05-2009 7:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

... FF were kicked out of government?

I know this may be a slightly political question but does anyone feel that any other political party will fund as much money into road infrastructure? From the two main opposition partys Labour and FG I havnt seen any plans for road projects in any of their proposals. Public transport and broadband, nothing at all mentioned about roads.

Would the future PPP's be scrapped say for instance FG went into power? Anyone have views on this? Looking at the current turmoil a change in government could be on the cards soon.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

tech2 wrote: »

I know this may be a slightly political question but does anyone feel that any other political party will fund as much money into road infrastructure? From the two main opposition partys Labour and FG I havnt seen any plans for road projects in any of their proposals. Public transport and broadband, nothing at all mentioned about roads.

Would the future PPP's be scrapped say for instance FG went into power? Anyone have views on this? Looking at the current turmoil a change in government could be on the cards soon.

Typical FF FUD, maybe with some else we might have had a better road network now, and not have to pay for the M50 twice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Typical FF FUD, maybe with some else we might have had a better road network now, and not have to pay for the M50 twice...

Maybe we mightnt have a road network at all, the billions might have been invested in public transport. Im not pro FF or saying that we have a good road network but just asking would the situation be different if another party were in power in the future regarding future road projects being built .ie construction time kept for eg M17 next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

tech2 wrote: »

Maybe if FG and Enda Kenny got in, we'd have an extended M4 to Longford (needed though!) the M5 (certainly not needed), an extended M17, the WRC all the way to Sligo etc, etc, ...

...kind of like Martin Cullen and the M9, Waterford Bypass, New Ross Bypass etc etc! :rolleyes:

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

There hasn't been any major difference in transport policy between FG and FF. Capital investment in roads will continue to be a multiple of investment in public transport regardless of whether FG or FF are in power. FG have not opposed FFs land use policies that have prescribed suburban sprawl and rural housing. Low density housing is unsuitable for public transport so roads are the answer.

Building roads is a populist move: most people drive rather than use public transport so they would prefer money spent on roads.

FGs policy on public transport is to back a few dart-to-dingle projects in the hope of garnering a few votes. The policies of the smaller parties are irrelevant as in any situation where they hold the balance of power, transport policy will never be an important item compared with health, taxation, welfare, education etc. Labour's policy, such as it is, is to cut public transport fares and to favour public transport staff rather than passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The only thing that would stop me voting for FG over FF is that FG may not go ahead with the Metro North/Interconnector for Dublin, but may push for the Western Rail Corridor instead.

(the voting is in isolation, not saying I would vote for FF)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

The fact of the matter is for the foreseeable future no matter who is in charge road building will pretty much grind to a halt.

FF have ruined the country. Deficits this year of 20 billion, countless billions to fix the banks on top of the billions that have already been spent, and a property market that wont recover for years. If you think the cuts we have had so far are bad just wait until after the local and European elections, thats when the real cuts will start. What we have had so far is a tiny fraction of what they will have to do to balance the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

transylman wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is for the foreseeable future no matter who is in charge road building will pretty much grind to a halt.

FF have ruined the country. Deficits this year of 20 billion, countless billions to fix the banks on top of the billions that have already been spent, and a property market that wont recover for years. If you think the cuts we have had so far are bad just wait until after the local and European elections, thats when the real cuts will start. What we have had so far is a tiny fraction of what they will have to do to balance the books.

We're straying off the topic here - move to politics or economics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

transylman wrote: »

I think we can all agree on most aspects of your view. However the PPP's are still alive(just about) with hope of the pension funds. They are willing (according to articles read) to contribute 6 billion for infrastructural building. Any roads in the future will all be tolled though IMO.

Also this wont appear as government debts.

Advertisement